Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw on the Road

Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

My husband is an over the road truck driver. I am planning on quitting my job in a couple of months and going with him. There is a refrigerator in the truck and outlets so I am planning on trying to do simple raw meals while on the road.

He drives and I am the raw cook!!

So I will need to learn how to create meals in a really small space with the least amount of cleanup!! More complicated meals I can make when we are at the house. And then take with us to start the trips. I will have limited space for water so we will be picking it up often. I was thinking maybe a big bowl with a good lid for washing veggies so that the water does not spill out until we can stop somewhere to pour it out. Was thinking if I get everything cleaned before I put it in the refrigerator so it is ready to eat and throw out the water and waste out before we leave the truck stop it will be easy to put things together while going down the road.

Does anyone have any ideas for meals on the road, love to hear your ideas.

Comments

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

I just went on vacation this weekend, and I had my boyfriend bring a cooler with us so I could have raw vegan meals on the road. I made 3 days of green smoothies for breakfast, and then I made a batch of Kandace’s Zucchini Hummus, and just brought carrots, celery, and broccoli along for dipping. Oh, and hardy fruits like apples, pears, and oranges that didn’t need to be refrigerated. You could always make a double batch of sunflower seed “cheese” (and play with different spices and herbs for different flavors), because that travels incredibly well for quite a few days.

• evergreenevergreen Raw Master

hi Blue_Eyes…you may want to check out the portable magic bullet… www.bullettogo.com...it has a car adapter available:) and the cups are great for sprouting if you are into that.i noticed it at ‘sams club’ this weekend:) also, one dish meals that keep for several days in the fridge,like a marinated veggie combo:) check out the travel and picnic categories for recipes… discount bullet here :)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

to wash your veggies, use a big salad spinner. a Zyliss spinner, for ex, has a big bowl and lid, so you can wash. ALSO plastic storage tubs with lid would work for that.

• Actually, what’s better than the Magic Bullet is the Tribest Personal Blender. www.tribest.com. It allows you to blend certain greens and if you get the 200 model, you can grind nuts and seeds.

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

Great, thanks everyone all the suggestions sound great. I was thinking about the spinner never used one before.

I went to the travel and it made me so hungry now I have to go get some raisins to make the raisin fudge

Has anyone ever used the veggies cleaners they have out now. Does anyone know what is really in them?

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Along with the hummus idea, I’m also thinking various nut pates would keep well for a few days. On day one you can use it in a wrap or salad, on day two rolled in nori sheets, on day three with raw crackers. Loads of nuts and dried fruits for snacks.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Make crackers & dressings at home – both do well for quite a long time. I second the seed cheese idea, and lots of fresh fruit! I recently went on a several-day road trip, and I made the crumble part of bitt’s “cherry cacao cobbler” and then dipped fresh bananas into it. The crumble doesn’t have to be refrigerated & it gave me an easy & filling “on the road” dessert. I also bought prewashed Spring Mix or other salad greens at grocery stores, so that I didn’t have to worry about where & how to wash the stuff. I took one or two containers & some silverware & a good knife, and it was great. :)

• I dont know how many days you go for at a time, but here is what we did on our last trip. We made wraps from collard greens. Before we left, we cut up tomatoes, cukes, onion and other veggies. We brought sprouts, carrot pulp (from juice) and salt and pepper. All of these combined made great sandwiches. Oh we also topped them with Miso Mayo (not raw).

Along with that we would stop at health food stores and buy fresh fruit to eat. Fruit really is the easiest to eat on the road.

• If you have a dehydrator you could bring fruit leather galore!

Update from out on the road.

Eating raw is the EASY part, staying warm has its issues, we have a bunk heater (our "furnance" saves fuel and keeps from having the truck running while sleeping) that should do it all but we have been caught in -10 degree weather for the nite and it is hard to sleep when I am cold. Have had it repaired and replaced but still I hate the cold!!!

It can be difficult at times mainly because we are faced with SAD food from every direction And yes we do give in sometimes, we are trying to keep it at a once a week limit for now. my husband is still transitioning and some things are hard for him to grasp yet.I found a book called Rawsome! that gives some detail to what each fruit and vegy has going for it. That helps him alot. He is doing really good with going raw. The once a week SAD is mainly for him (but yes, I am still weak when it comes to chili and a few others)

Our day usually consists of a green smoothie for breakfast, fruit and vegies sticks for lunch as we get hungry. Dinner is a plate of different vegies. I have Printed off several recipes from this site to use. can do most anything but dehydrate, that would drive my husband bonkers if I had that running in here day and nite.

We have a very small refrigerator and a motorized cooler for the stuff that needs to be kept cold and two drawer bins we got at walmart for things that do not require cold if eaten in a certain amount of time(apples and stuff like that) one is used for utinsils and spices. Also have room under the bunk for other staples like cocao and chia seeds, etc.We have an inverter with two plug ins so we can use, a blender, food processor, coffee grinder, juicer (havent used this in here yet).

I clean with bottled water that I heat in a coffee maker and (ACV, baking soda, lemons) so far havent died yet, lol!!

Oh yes, I have my sprout jar as well the mung beans did great but the alfalfa did badly, not sure what I did wrong there they rotted.yuck

For entertainment We have a small flat screen tv to watch and just put in surround sound, my laptop for everything from internet,(of course GONE RAW!) and catching up on missed "eli stone" and "ugly betty", and card games. We can sometimes be stopped for days so it helps having our "toys".

But mostly it is just watching the world go by and spending time with my husband.

Have seen alot of wrecks and UGly driving! Cities are bad, What ever happened to using turn signals??? People are crazzy out here, they weave in high speed traffic with no turn signals and one guy almost took us out with his u-haul trailer, he must be so used to his bad driving that he forgot he had a trailer on the back of his little car, the car made it around but if we would not have slowed down fast his trailer would be history. I think everyone gets so wrapped up with their lives and where they want to be they forget that these obstacules in their way have actual people inside and could die!! The wreaks I see are sooooo preventable.

I am inserting these as requested to keep the on the road together

excerpts from

Alert Food Transportation

Blue_Eyes

I just passed a refrigerated truck that had hazmat warning all over it. flammable, corrosive signs. this is a truck that could also be used for food.

the signs were duct taped on.

This is yet another reason for us to be growing our own food and also more active in finding out where our food is actually coming from.

The transportation companies are finding it harder to find loads for their drivers and in doing so could be against the best interest of the consumer.

I do know for a fact that they use refer trucks to haul non food items when loads are scarce. My husband has hauled cotton for his company and who knows what else the other drivers have. I do not know what they do to cotton in the fields so remember that has been in the same trucks and also yes they do wash them out but the wash out companies do it rather fast job so i am not sure what they use in their spray.

That was a scarry thing for me to see on the side of a refer truck and I believe you all have the right to know what is going on out here.

emtpdmom

Wow, I had no idea they could use refrigerated trucks intended for food transportation to haul such materials. I wonder if there is something we should do if we notice such inconsistencies when we see them. Record company name and trailer number? Report it to who? Surely there must be an agency that monitors this kind of activity. Thanks Blue Eyes for the heads up. I may retire early just so I can move and start my organic garden.

By the way, we haven't heard from you lately about your "on the road" experiences with your DH. How's it going? What accommodations are working well for staying raw and on the road? How 'bout an update, maybe posted on your "Raw on the Road" thread, so all the on the road suggestions stay together in one place.

Blue_Eyes

Thanks, I will try to update that soon.

My husband is required to have the trailer "washed out" after hauling certain things but not real sure how much good that really does, like i said they do it really fast.

We do not own our truck so we do what we are told to get. so far nothing like that has come up except the cotton and some paper.

We have hauled chicken and then had it washed out before we could load anything else but then the wash out companies have policies that they wont wash out blood. so i hope the chicken was frozen when it went in I know it was when we were hauling it because we set the refer.

I will try to find out what the policies are for our company on such matters but I may not be able to.

For those who are looking for or needing another new years resolution I think this is a good one.

Make it a resolution to be more present and aware while driving. Be more responsible for your own actions and remember you cannot know what others are thinking so you must always be ready for the unexpected

I have seen so many accidents since coming out here in October. Not sure why today's such an emotional one for me, maybe it is the time to reflect

on what was and to plan better for what will be. The wreck I just seen today involved one vehicle but when the first ambulance went by my

tears welled up and we were not even at the site yet. When we came up to it the officers were having us stop for a bit and stay back so they could

safely track the skid marks on the road. They started on the right side and tire marks all along the white line and rolled over to the other lane.

not sure why they rolled the suv but it was on its wheels when we drove past, they had two ambulance

Today is a day when we all look forward to a better future and these two started their year out this way. No way to tell if anyone died, I hope not.

I hope this finds you and your families happy and healthy and remember when you are out there behind the wheel you are responsible for all the

lives around you on the road just as you are for yourself and the ones in your vehicle.

Remember the people in the other vehicles have families that love them and need them. Please help each other have a safe ride.

Lots of love

Vickie

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

Thanks Vickie,

Driving is so bad here in CA. I hate the freeways and avoid them amap. Cell phones, please, the drunk driving of our generation. Keep safe! m