radiated greens

About the FDA choosing to radiate spinach and lettuce, is organic included in this? I have been searching on the internet and have not found anything specifically stating that organics are not involved.

I buy the earthbound farms tubs of spinach. I’m concerned especially since these are my only greens through the cold months.

Comments

• According to the site/s below it seems that today organic produce is NOT irradiated.

Reading on Mom-Going-Organic-Sensibly.com

Some more readings:

Canadian Organic Products regulations

USDA National Organic Program

I was just going through the Canadian regulations and found it funny that the word irradiation or radiation is not even mentioned, read this paragraph:

“Organic agricultural production is a management system designed to produce crops and livestock in an ecologically stable way. Soil fertility is maintained, animals are raised in a manner appropriate to their behavioural requirements and synthetic fertilizers and pesticides are not used.”

The USDA NOP states that “Agricultural products labeled “100% organic” and “Organic” cannot be produced using excluded methods, sewage sludge, or ionizing radiation.” read here

• Thank you so much for the info.