raw delivery service?

this isnt necessarily a service i would consider.. but out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried one of those weekly diet delivery services that pays specific attention to a raw diet? i am wondering how the food rates. i have a very busy friend who has toyed with the idea of raw in the past but she and her husband are hardly ever home/prepare food for themselves.. i wonder if this might not be a good way to turn them onto a raw lifestyle..

any insight?

thanks, guys!

Comments

• I think it would be a great way to introduce them to raw food. I order from www.rawvolution.com every once in awhile. It’s an excellent service and you get a lot of delicious, fresh food for $100 (plus shipping unless you’re in LA or NYC and you can pick it up).

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Yum. Rawvolution. I could eat their cheezy jalapenos every day. I always wonder how they manage to ship a week’s worth of food. I’m afraid of what it would look like on day 4 or 5. How does it hold up?

But if they’re pressed for time…well, DH and I are busy and we manage – we don’t do a lot of sprouting or dehydrating, but what’s faster and easier than eating raw?? It takes 10-15 minutes tops to make a raw salad, soup, or even pasta. Making a nut pate and slicing some veggies for sushi rolls may take a few minutes more.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

My bf and I are (were) running a Raw Meal Service. We were doing it for mostly people we knew and friends because we do it from home from our little apartment kitchen. We create whatever dishes people want. I have a book of recipes I make and they can pick out from there or tell what they would like raw and we make it.

Most raw meal services only make certain things and you are limited to choose from those. Lots of time they have stuff made and you get it quicker but prices are high. When I make stuff for people I give them the entire recipe portion (like 16 oz of dip or sauce for $10.00 – it depends on what the ingredients are because somethings are more expensive than others). I have compared some other raw services and the prices are almost the same except they give you half as much as we do. Since we don’t have any kitchen fees to pay we can give more for less but we aren’t getting rich doing this at all. But it is hard because if you don’t keep your prices on the low side people complain.

It is little dismaying though because some people still complain the prices are too high. I had a person once who wanted to come to one of our events and it was a gourment raw brunch all-you-can-eat (about 10 different raw dishes and 3 drinks to choose from) for $40 and she thought that it should be like $10! She said she could get an all you can eat brunch for $10 for 3 people so why should she pay $40 for one person. A raw gourmet all-you-can-eat brunch for $10 -where is that at?? I was kind of insulted.

I guess my point is that keep in mind how expensive the ingredients can be – anyone who eats raw at home should know this and that the person needs to be paid for their time and service. Also raw food is sort of a speciality food and it will be more expensive than breakfast at McDonalds but if you really don’t have the time or knowledge to do it – it is worth it to have someone do it for you until you learn it yourself. Plus, people who do these service know how to make the stuff so it should be good and be turn your friend on to raw food.

• My Mom’s old roommate use to get this service and loved it. I have ordered raw bread and pizza crusts from Patti at Thrivin Edibles in San Jose and love her products. I have not tried her meals though. I prefer everything to be as fresh as possible. She is local so it works out great when I occasionally crave raw bread products that I don’t want to make myself. I can get them made for me and sent to me within a day. I have also had “raw fast food to go” from Que SeRaw SeRaw in Burlingame – they make it that day. They have good dishes!

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Queenfluff, your meal service sounds wonderful, I live in the uk and there is nothing like that here (that I know of). People make harsh comments sometimes but it is just ignorance speaking… 10 for three people – and how much for their healthcare bills from eating processed dead food! Carry on your good work!

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

Hi Loorin,

I know Chris & Zoe did something similar but tried to order some a few weeks back and they weren’t at that time :o(

However, there is a company here in London that does it, I thought about it whilst at work but its way too expensive for me to do it that way, its a whole days menu. I was looking for a ‘buy a few things to take home’ kinda thing, as my day ends up so long with the commute I thought it might save me time. Looks yum though, I’d love to try it.

I’ll post their link so you can have a look..

http://rawfairies.com/

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Have just checked them out, yes, ouch! Looks good stuff but I’m not in london and not that rich! so never mind!

I thought that Chris and Zoe were still making and selling raw food. Did the stop?

I would email Zoe to check.

Springleaf, thanks! Yeah, some people want everything for free – it is riduculous.:)

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

queenfluff Raw All you can eat & drink? For $40? You were giving that very ungrateful woman a terrific deal!
    It is sad how many people don’t appreciate things. I can understand being broke (since I am), but I believe people really do generally get what they pay for.
    Like springleaf wrote – your service sounds wonderful! Don’t let the unappreciative folks get you down.
    Cheers!

greenghost – thanks! Yeah, I have a feeling that woman was new to raw and didn’t fully understand that raw is an expensive lifestyle – I am sure she will realize this soon if she stays on the raw path. I still would like to know where this $10 brunch of 3 people is. I think she was referring to McD’s or Burger King. Eww!

• Thanks everyone! I guess just cuz I am in NYC rawvolution looks like about the only option. Unless Queenfluff starts mailin me stuff out here! God. $40 for all you can eat sounds amazing, fluffers. If I ever make it out west I will have to look you up!