Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Embarking on a fruitarian experiment

MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I was a fruitarian for a few months during the spring/early summer and loved it. Then I went on a fasting trip and when I stopped, I had all sorts of ungodly cravings for SAD foods, and greens were the only thing that halted them. I accepted that, even though I know my natural food and preferance is fruit, so I ate hefty salads that were quite satisfying and kicked the SAD cravings in the nuts. :-)

The past few days, I’ve noticed my salads aren’t making me feel too great. In fact, pretty lousy, just not desirable or something. Plus it kinda bugs me that to even enjoy my greens I have to doctor them up with fruits and fruit juice. I’m gravitating towards an all-fruit diet again, and I’m gonna give it another go. I feel the best and cleanest whenever I only eat fruit so that’s what I’m gonna do. I enjoy experimenting with my body and fruit feels best so I’m just going to relax and go with it.

I know there is at least one fruitarian here (roadrunner – I’m looking at you! ;-p ) So I just kinda wanted to have a thread to post in as I focus on mono-mealing fruit as much as possible.

Comments

• bananaboybananaboy Raw Superstar

I am an aspiring Fruitarian as well. The days I eat only fruit, usually as mono meals, I feel the best. I have much more energy, sleep better, and have much greater mental clarity. Though I still have some cravings for cooked food and will occasionally indulge in quinoa, millet, sweet potato or even nacho chips (gasp!). Yesterday my wife brought home some roasted cashews and I could not resist them. Of course I could not have just one. I ended up eating a few handfuls. I did not sleep well because of it. Very disappointed in my lack of will power at times.

I know that my body feels best on fruit and that it is the food our bodies are biologically adapted to eat. It can be a tough journey, but in the end we will be rewarded.

• roadrunnerroadrunner Raw Newbie

Hey Moth, Just do it! I love it! Apples are in season here so Im eating apples,grapes are too,but mostly apples,banannas dont appeal to me so much right now because they to me are a winter fruit. So how far is boston? :) I just watched “what happens in vegas” cute flick,also definately maybe,sleepless in seattle,seems i like watching movies about me,40 year old virgin is hillarious! ive seen that about 20 times,funny,i turn 40 in October….

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Boston from Idaho? Hmm…I’m not sure…a hop, skip and a jump away! :-D Roadrunner, do you mono-meal on the SAME FRUIT all day?

I ask because I really wanted to do bananas all day, but I just can’t really do a single fruit all day yet…My first three meals were all bananas, but on my last one I had a bunch of gold kiwi. I make sure to wait at least 3-4 hours between meals to make sure I’m not overlapping foods. Mono-mealing makes sense to me because it’s like hanging out in a single tree all day, eating the bounty from that one tree.

jgfergus – yep, fruit definitely feels best to my body; gives me a lot of energy, is easiest to consume and a bunch of other reasons.

Mostly the same fruit,usually no more than 2 fruits a day, like bananas,grapes or apples bananas.in the evenings I was having avocado,jalepeno,limes,tomatoes and apples all mixed up in a bowl which is soooo good! But im trying to avoid avocados for a while, theyre real good for you but hard to digest, apples,bananas,oranges,grapes etc go right thru but avocados take longer. im going to shoot for the entire month of september on apples, this will be an experience! i looked at the map and were MILES away, wow youre clear over on the east coast, im way over in the far west!

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Yeah…but Boston is fabulous to visit if you’re ever up for a trip. ;-p And seriously, if I’m ever in your neck of the woods, I will let you know. I think it’d be fun to hang out with other fruitarians!

2 fruits a day I can do. It’s just the transition from daytime eating to nighttime eating I’m still dealing with. I seem to need a different type of food at night; more of a “comfort-fruit food.” Bananas during the day is easy. At night…I just want something more pleasure-oriented, as a “reward” heh, which is why I usually go for gold-kiwi or peaches at night. I LOVE mono-mealing on juicy peaches…total bliss. I would love to do grapes but organic grapes are soo freaking expensive.

Wow, apples for a month?! That sounds so interesting. I have often thought about just doing apples for a week, ever since I read about the Edgar Cayce 3-day apple diet (he calls it a fast). When I read about that, I thought, “Why stop at three days?! Why not go longer? I also read about a fruitarian that did mango’s for 30 days…that sounds so awesome. Apples are one of the cheapest fruits I can get, so I might experiment with them long-term one of these days. I’m interested in this because I read you can get VERY sensitive to the “vibration” and personality of each fruit you are learning to live on. Like, each type of fruit has a different energy that inhabits you when you consume it…I am learning through mono-mealing to get very sensitive to these energies. I have to admit, after 15 bananas today, I felt very…well, BANANAS, LOL. Slightly insane in the membrane. Then I heard my yummy gold kiwis (don’t like the green ones right now) calling my name, and for dinner I pigged out on them until satisfied…so sweet and yummy…juice running down my arm.

Do you eat non-sweet fruits too?

• Hey guys! I just had a quick question that I thought you all might be best suited to answer.. But if you are mono-mealing how long do you typically wait between meals? I suppose that is really only important if you are doing it with different fruits.. But I would be curious to know all the same! How many calories do you typically consume in a day? Good luck on both your experiences this month! I can’t wait to read about them.

apricots,apples,peaches are in here! I get a case of apricots for 20 bucks,apples, peaches, all are 20 bucks, also we have apple trees here in idaho and theyre in season right now so i just go pick them and fill my boxes! i love this way of life its freakin awsome! Apples are so cleansing and man i have so much energy! yea moth i eat non-sweet,cucumbers,tomatoes,jalepeno,green,red,yellow peppers etc. it takes time but your body will begin “sensing” whats in season, for me i know whats in season which is what i crave, like the bananas there for the majority of this year i ate a lot of them but right now? i dont want them much. Loorin,45 minutes to an hour between fruits. Calories? i dont count calories, or worry about nutrients, fruit has all i need! check out www.fruitpages.com www.fruitarian.com both very packed full of all the info you need. Rob

• Thanks! Since you and your body are eating “in season”.. What do you typically switch to in Winter? I noticed bananas, but do you tend to stay with more tropical fruits? I keep wandering into the kitchen after having checked this thread for another snack.. hah!

• Hi Moth & All,

As an aspiring fruitarian, care to join roadrunner and others and be interviewed on my blog?

List of Interviews with Fruitarians

Peace, Mango.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Mango! It’s great to see you here! I just ate 3 plump, juicy mango’s for breakfast this morning, hehe. Your webpage was one of the first I came across when I was researching fruitarianism. I definitely feel the best on fruit! And I wouldn’t mind being interviewed at all; might help me to compose my thoughts and feelings on fruitarianism for my own reference later on.

Question for all the fruity folks: Do you drink young coconut water? I find it’s really awesome for after my yoga practice and I can’t see myself giving it up. So delicious. I don’t eat the meat though; I find it too fatty and not very palatable.

• Another question for fruity folk. What about dental health? I have heard that teeth and bone densidy can be jepardized through a fruitatarian diet. I looked at some of the interviews on your site, mangodurain. Very interesting, and sounds fruity/yummy! LOL! Love it when you interview the younguns! Thanks.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Pulse – no problems with my teeth, although I am not always 100% fruit yet.

FRUITARIANS: How do you handle b12? I am getting negative feedback from people already skeptical of raw who flat out are telling me that I will get brain disorders from lacking b12.

However, I read that Harley, an 811 athelete who is fruitarian last I heard, got tested and actually had a SURPLUS of b12! So it’s like, whoa…

It makes me want to go fruitarian for a year and then get tested just to shut up the naysayers.

• Hi Moth, Great that you’re up for being interviewed.. Just send me your email address via my:

Email Me Page, and I’ll send you an interview to fill out at your leisure..

As for the B12, I’ve blogged a couple of times about it..

HERE

As a long term fruitarian, with no apparent B12 source, I have never had any of the symptoms of deficiency, and hold no fear that that should ever happen.. So yeah, go for that year on fruit, and prove the pudding for yourself!

As for the jelly coconuts.. I haven’t had one since I was in Thailand, and although not exactly a fruit, I would probably eat them again when they are around an in abundance.. Or maybe not.. I guess I’ll just figure that out later..

Peace and Goodwill, Mango.

• Hi. I have been 100% fruitarian for three days now. But only because I love fruit so much and it is all that I want to eat right now. It feels like heaven! And about the b-12. Dont worry about it. It is very easy for even a fruitarian to get more than enough b-12. And the myth that b-12 only comes from animal sources was created by the meat and dairy industry so thay they could profit. Just like the protein myth.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Hey Azul! Glad to see you’re enjoying this too. I was fruitarian, mono-mealing for several days, totally feeling my vital energy, and then tonight, I decided to eat a bowl of greens.

What a mistake! I am so nauseous, headachy and sick right now. I feel really out of it, like I’m stoned, like I just can’t connect with myself. It’s disturbing how the shift to greens made me feel all whacked out. My body feels like it’s burning up in a sweat; I feel soo hot, whereas normally my body temperature tends towards neutral or cool. I ate them hours ago too and they still have yet to pass through me. I just don’t feel good at all. My moods are all disheveled as a result. I feel fearful and sad.

I learned my lesson. Nothing makes me feel happier then to eat fruit consistantly. Must remember this.

And thanks for the feedback about b-12, too. Good to know.

• Where do fruitarians get b12? I’d really like to see some studies or information on it. Heck I can’t even figure out where raw foodies get it. That’s why I still eat nutritional yeast. I’m not a troll or trying to critisize. I’m really interested in it. So if someone could show me some info, that would be awesome!

• I’m fruitarian most days during the summertime! I love it – that’s all I want when it’s hot – and I always feel excellent! But, I don’t limit myself to that…I’m 100% raw and eat everything within that category on other days:)

• Hey, I have question for you all, too…

I went to my first colon hydrotherapy appointment on Wednesday. When the hydrotherapist asked about my diet, I told him that I was mostly fruitarian for a year and then fell off the entire raw vegan wagon this past January. I’ve been eating mostly SAD since then, but have been upping my raw intake for the past couple weeks and cutting out the “bad” stuff.

He was very knowledgeable of the raw lifestyle, but basically he didn’t suggest eating primarily fruit. Fruit in the past has caused me an overload of gas. He said that fruit is the most cleansing food there is and that it would stir up toxins that could harm my body if I wasn’t having regular eliminations. I told him that what he was saying made sense because I have been breaking out repeatedly since sticking to fruits and feeling very bloated. He told me to cut out fruit for 2 weeks!

I just don’t know what to do because fruit was the MAIN part of my daily diet. Salads and greens just don’t interest me and I’ve never been into eating nuts or seeds.

What do you all think about his advice? What would you do if you were me?

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I would definitely listen to your body. YOU’RE living in your body; not him.

I bet you’re bloated and breaking out because you’re returning to a raw diet from SAD – not because you’re eating fruit. I have periods of time where I eat only fruit and have perfectly clear skin and flat tummy. Then sometimes I will get a little breakout and a bit of bloating, and I generally chalk it up to detox. I guess if you wanna detox quickly (like I do) then eat fruit. If you’re concerned about it, eat more greens.

No biggie! Just do what you feel, in my opinion.

• Thanks for the suggestion, MOTH. It’s so so hard for me to stick to greens so I’m just going to disregard his advice for now and see how I feel.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Hey, kait, I eat mostly fruit (I do have salad fairly regularly) and I have noticed considerably clearer skin and flatter stomach. I agree with moth on this one. You’re probably only bloated and breaking out from the SAD food and the transition or improper combining. Don’t cut out fruit if you feel you need it! It’s so rich in nutrients and delicious!

• Thanks! Yeah, I’m obsessed with fruit. I was fruitarian for about a year on and off before I fell back to SAD. When I eat only fruit, I have constant BMs and feel great. Some gas here and there, but that’s expected.

Sunday is my birthday and my parents are sending a fruit bouquet to my school. Now that I’m following my own rules, I can enjoy it. :-)

Awesome! Fruit is sooo great! I sometimes wish I lived in the tropics so I can have more variety easily. hehe

• I hear you. I wish I could just walk out and pull exotic fruits off the trees. :-( Maybe some day.

yeah, my husband grew up in Florida and they had a massive avocado tree in their back yard that grew hundred of avocados. Just like heaven…..don’t forget the grapefruit trees down there either.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I don’t get it. I am so hungry, but fruit isn’t appealing to me right now.

:-/ I seem to shift extremes pretty quickly. I wandered around all the produce at the store for an hour, just waiting for some delicious fruit to call out to me. But the thought of ‘sweet’ anything kinda grossed me out. sigh In fact the only thing I could think of eating was some spinach. I hope I do better with salad tonight.

I may have to reevaluate whether or not I’m ready to go on a fruitarian trip afterall.

Rob – although I may join you for 1 straight week of apples – that sounds like it’ll be low stress and good for me.

• Kait: That doctor sounds like he is telling you to detox in some form. You can do it digestively, through the skin (hot bath for 30 minutes 6 days a week), or other ways. I find it very interesting that fruitarians feel best on an all fruit diet. I prefer fruit but eat veggies for dinner because they fill me up and it takes so long to get through a huge bowl of salad. I eat most things allowed on a raw diet and still feel the need for many mixed item that give a punch of flavor. But I am fascinated with just the fruit idea.