New to raw and feeling sick. Juice Fast?

I’ve been trying to transition to a raw diet for about a week now. I am already vegan, so I thought I was pretty healthy and wouldn’t experience a lot of detox symptoms. But I have been feeling kind of sick to my stomach and don’t have much of an appetite. It is so hard to keep eating raw too when I feel like my body is telling me not to. One day I will eat mostly raw, but by the evening, I crave carbs like crazy. A couple times, I broke down and ate a piece of bread. Another day I went to a vegan buffet and felt sick afterwards. I know I’m probably confusing my body, but I don’t know what I can do. Today for example, I ate a raw breakfast (strawberry banana smoothie) and felt pretty good. By lunch I was craving cooked foods. I decided to go out for lunch to celebrate getting a new job today, so I had a falafel pita and some fries. I enjoyed it but didn’t feel the best afterwards. Now I really want to eat a raw supper, but the delicious raw stuffed mushrooms I made earlier do not appeal to me. In fact, no raw foods sound good.

I have heard good things about juice fasting, and I was thinking that maybe that would be a good, disciplined way to get me into the swing of being raw. Maybe help clean out my digestive tract so I don’t crave cooked food so much? Is this a good idea for a new and struggling raw foodie? If so, what kind of fast should I follow? Should I just juice instinctively and use what I am craving, or is there a set plan I should use? How long should I juice for?

I have exactly a week before I start my new job, so if I am going to get sick or have to go through a detox period, I think now would be the best time for me to do it so I don’t have to feel like this and have these weird cravings while at work. I really want to be as close to 100% raw as I can be, and I want to stop feeling sick! Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Comments

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

I am also new to raw, and I too have the same problems sometimes. I sometimes have a smoothie for breakfast and then feel sick, even though I love smoothies. I have found that if I think about it before making it sometimes i can tell when i am not going to want one and then I just eat the fruit as it is, ie eat two bannanas and some berries just as they are. This helps for me. I am also finding that a slow transition is best for me, if I want raw I have it but I don’t force it on myself if I don’t feel like it and gradually the want for cooked foods is passing. Good Luck Quiora, sorry I can’t be more help than to say “this feels like me too sometimes” but at least you know your not the only one!

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I feel it might be easier for you both, to just bite the bullet and have fruit, smoothie or not for your first meal and then consume as many greens as possible for your second meal… Going back and forth might be making it more difficult for you… I learned last week when I ate some fresh ground peanuts mixed with raw honey and sea salt, that roasted or just the peanuts made me terribly sick… My first and last cheat!!! Not worth it, as I love feeling healthy and strong!!!

Good Luck with your meal choices and may you feel healthy too!!!

• I am new as well, and has been eating 100% for the past 5 days. Like you, experiencing a sick feeling throughout the day, and nt wanting to eat at all, and specially not coooked food actually. But I think it’s due to m green smoothie overdose (by wanting to do well, i’ve been having 2 or 3 green smoothies a day, with A LOT of greens inside), and a friend told me it might be throwing my body off balance. And yes, since I’ve decreased it it’s goind slightly better ! Good luck to you !

• I am new to RAW myself..Find it hard to stick with at times.. I am the QUEEN of no appetite! Which makes it even harder! Go with how you feel.. A few times last week I ditched the smoothie for fruit as it is.. I felt great and same satisfaction.. Some “cooked ” foods I don’t feel with harm You,, I have added beans back (right out of the can),,, to salads and that really seems to help,, maybe it is the extra calories??

Trust your body.. Hang Tough..Even when it is Tough!!

D.L.