Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Maca recipes?

lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I know there are just soooo many Maca posts, it would take my a year to find my answer so I’m posting something that may already be floating around the forums. My maca just arrived. Not sure i’m digging the taste in my smoothie. How much should I use in a 32 oz. green smoothie? How else do you use it? Will my sex life really improve? I’m trying it, though i’m not such a Superfoods gal. I definitely don’t want to make one of those smoothies with nuts and oil and 10 different superfoods. I’d be ill. Simplicity?

Comments

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I put some into my fruit purees. Not too much. Never more than a scant teaspoon cuz, like you noted, the flavor ain’t kicking. You could pretty much add it to all blended food, I think. I noticed a sexual/energy boost, but it may have been the power of suggestion.

• I’m not a huge fan of the taste of Maca, I must admit. Malty (and a bit bitter), in my opinion, go only with a few other things. I don’t put it in my smoothies b/c, like you, I don’t groove on the taste. The only smoothie I liked with Maca was banana, cacao, almond butter and maca with water. Not green, but quite decadent!

I like Maca for breakfast and in certain desserts.

Soak walnuts overnight, put in food processor with warm water, maca, coconut butter, cinnamon and raisin or chopped apples. Add agave to taste. This is VERY filling and is good if you want to be outside all day in the winter.

Cacao and Maca can be nice together as a dessert. Maybe you can come up with a kind of raw “malted milk ball” combo to eat before bed?

I don’t recall Maca having any impact on my libido, but everyone is different and it might put you into orbit!

• i love maca and cacao together. if you don’t dig on nuts, you could make a smoothie with maybe, maca, hempmilk or hempseeds & water or coconut water, cacao, banana and agave to taste. if you wanted to, you could add spinach to that, and maybe some berries.

does that sound like it would make you ill? also, like jenoz suggested, it’s nice in a fudge recipe, like the one she suggested, which could also be made with tahini or hemp to replace some or all of the walnuts. you could also use dates instead of the raisins and/or the apples.

however, i must say, i can’t do cacao before bed. i know this, and yet last night i did it anyway, didn’t sleep well, and now i think i’m getting sick. bummers. green juice when i get home. yay.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I like the taste of Maca myself. David Wolfe says don’t take more tahn 2 tablespoons a day. I usually put a tablespoon in the smoothie (which is about 4 cups of smoothie for two people). I put lots of other things in there too so I guess maybe I don’t notice the taste as much.

As for your sex life, well, that was one of the reason I started taking it. That and it is supposed to help balance moods, help depression and give you energy. I notice that it does make me feel more contented after I have it. Not sure about the energy. But I haven’t notice a chance in my libidio – than again, I have never had much interest in sex my entire life so I consider myself a lost cause on that one – but that might be because I have so many other things on my mind too.

Maybe it might work for you though.

The Raw Mochachino recipe on here uses maca and it is really good! Tastes just like coffee!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

:) I wonder…is it in some way an appetite suppressant? I never felt hungry today after I put 1 T in my yucku smoothie. It did wreck it. So jenoz-I’m hearing you “if you’re going to be outside in winter all day!” LOL ha! Anyway… stomach distress all day, maca or yesterday’s sweat poatao crisps? i have never done well with flax crackers of any kind. I’ll try again in the am. hopefully I won’t gas out my patients! Lord!

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

I just bought some maca today so what a convenient thread. :) I haven’t tried it yet, I figured I’d put it in my smoothie tomorrow. If it’s malty I actually kinda dig that. I got it from an ethnic foods store and they actually had a chocolate powder next to it!

Jenoz- I like your breakfasty suggestion, like oatmeal only better! I will definitely be trying that.

• yummy maca!!! I keep some in a little dish, dip dried apricots into almond butter, then into the maca. I haven’t had this snack in a long time though, I’ve run out of maca. Also, you can blend it with chocolate, it creates a bit of a malty flavour. Especially with mesquite too.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Yeah, I love maca, try my irish macaffee!

• I love maca with bananas, almond butter, and chocolate. It becomes a very thick malt type shake this way. I also will sparingly add it to fruit smoothies, it does not seem to mix well with my greens.

as far as libido… I am not sure if it was me coming off birth control pills or the maca but the first week I started taking maca powder corresponded with being off birth controls for a month and I was dying. My mate lives in Texas right now and I thought I was going to go insane. I haven’t noticed that as much but I did stop taking as much maca.

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

I had my first taste of maca today…put about a tablespoon in my 16oz green smoothie. I could taste a little hint of the malty bitterness, but nothing that bothered me. The banana and berries evened it out. No energy boost or libido boost yet, although increasing the latter any more could be a danger to those around me at the moment. :p But it was only like 2 hours ago. So I guess we’ll see. Hopefully it’ll kick in by the time I go to the gym later.

I’d really like to try making it into a chocolate malt type shake, as I used to love that chocolate Ovaltine malted milk stuff. :)

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

I just ordered some maca, to try and help me transition going off birth control. How much should one start to take daily?

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

I also love it with banana, cacao etc. I’m a bit of a superfoods girl though.

I dont know quite how much of an effect it really has as its probably mixed with other things. I need to try it on its own I guess to really know. The one I definitely notice the difference with is spirulina (and couldnt recommend it enough.)

This is a vid of a recipe Shazzie uses with Maca called ‘go go go chew’ packed with superfoods. I havent tried it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xylmc0M4f9w

and

this is a video of her explaining & giving more info about Maca and other superfoods

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MklPR2B0YfQ&feat…

I have a pituitary condition and its said to help balance hormones so thats also a bonus for me