Raw Cottage Cheese (Nut or Seed Please)

Has anyone succesfully made a raw nut or seed “cottage cheese” ??? If so, please do tell or direct me to a link. I didn’t see any when I searched recipes and I’ve found it better to ask word of mouth then to attempt on my own and have it turn out bogus with a bunch of food wasted.. I trust you guys!

I am having insane childhood-cottage-cheese-cravings with agave nectar and fresh pineapple on top. I have never attempted to make raw cottage cheese and am not fond of almond-ricotta-style as a replacement either. It’s just doesn’t cut it.

Thank you for your offering. I promise to share when I make it. Not tonight though, I have eaten so much today it’s not even funny : ) and must go light at dinner. Long live RAW!

Comments

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I found one! I haven’t tried it before but now I want too. I am remembering the taste of cottage cheese now. No almonds in this one but I could definately see it working. I am trying to remember whether cottage cheese was sour or just tangy. I might ferment mine. Hmm, I have all these ingredients (no sundried tomatoes or onion in mine) so maybe I’ll give it a try. I would add some coconut milk or brazil nut milk to make it slightly watery too.

http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1863

Creamy Cottage Cheese

1 lb soaked Brazil Nuts

3 T Coconut Oil

1 T Olive Oil

1/2-1 tsp Celtic Sea Salt or Himalayan Salt

Juice of 1 to 2 Lemons

2-5 pinches Hing (optional)

1C Filtered Water (use as needed)

1/4C Sundried Tomatoes – soaked and chopped (optional)

Blend well in Vita-Mix, K-Tec or L’Equip Blender adding water for desired consistency. For more creamier consistency add more Coconut Oil. Mix in your favorite herbs or berries.

• Thank you so much! I had a feeling you’d know something about this. Let me know how yours comes out okay? I know you and your man are the Queen and King of raw cheese. Ps. What is Hing? Cottage cheese has a taste between slightly sour and a mild cashew kind of sweet. It’s inbetween somewhere. I’m going to buy raw brazil nuts tomorrow. I was at Rainbow today and looked right at them, darn! But please let me know how yours comes out!!!

I will. Hmm, cashew taste – I would rather use the cashews than I think – a bit cheaper than the brazil nuts – that was my first thought to use cashews. I think will ferment mine with probiotic or rejuvalac to get the sour.

Oh, apparently Hing is a sort onion so I guess onion would be the sub..

Oh, I don’t know if you saw my other post (under the boopers thread) I listed some of the things I make. For the rye caraway bagels, I figured out a price of 8.00 per batch of minis which is about 10 mini bagels I would say they are like 3 inches wide and 1 inch thick – that is an estimate). The rye ones are pretty dense so they are filling. I have to figure the cost of the other sorts of the bagels yet. The only thing is that since we don’t have a car on a regular basis we can’t always deliver so you would need to come and pick them up from me. I do have a list of other things I make with prices if you are interested email me and I can send it to you.

• That’s a good price. I bought supplies at Rainbow yesterday to try. If not, I will def. order from you. Let’s see how my devirginizing the dehydrator goes.

I’ve used it to make sweet potatoe chips and veggies burgers… this will be my first bread experiment. I also plan to make banana crepes.

I was thinking of fermenting my cottage too. I got some rejuvelac today and my brazil nuts. Let me know how yours comes out.

Thanks for the email addy. I will email you with potential purchase questions.

You’re a doll!

Good luck with your dehydating! The hard part about the bagels is shaping those suckers on the sheets because the dough it kinda sticky. But if you are a creative person who like to fool around with food it is sort of fun. Let me know if you want any tips! :)

I’ll probably work on my cottage cheese this weekend sometime.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

queenfluff~ Would putting the bagel batter in a pastry bag (or other conical rolled paper thingy with a larger hole in the bottom for the batter to come out of) and squeezing it out that way, work for forming the bagels? I can even see using a shot glass (or something similar) to use as a spacer for shaping the dough around, leaving a hole in the middle. Just a thought…

• Okay so after a days worth of prep work and a morning of mixing, etc. I have made this cottage cheese and altered it just a tad.

It does not taste how I wished it to taste. It is not bad tasting but it does not come close to, in my opinion, the taste of cottage cheese. I put chunked pineapple on top – small tidbits – and raw agave nectar. It’s yummy but I don’t think brazil nuts are the best nut for this recipe or maybe I didn’t alter it enough. I am not sure. Queenfluff – I look forward to hearing how your cashew cottage comes out. Do you have a friend who eats dairy cottage cheese and could sample it to compare?