Husband's Cholesterol is 260!

JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

So even though my hubby has green smoothies in the morning, I know he does like his cheese pizza and bean burritos with cheese during the work week with his buddies. He’s a vegetarian but does like his dairy (hardly eats eggs though). He is a good sport and always eats my raw food recipes I make on the weekends. It’s during the work week we sort of fend for ourselves. I eat mostly big salads and fruit and he might pick up a ‘healthy’ veggie burrito from the Co-op’s grab-and-go section. If he was convinced becoming raw would reduce his cholesterol he just might give it a try and make more of an effort…...

Anyone have high cholesterol before going vegan or raw vegan? Any information would be hugely appreciated.

I’ve read conflicting things about avos, nuts coconuts, olive oils, and any natural plant based fats raising cholesterol levels. I would really like to make more nut cheezes but if they are not going to help, then I’m not sure how to substitute some raw recipes in lieu of Annies organic wholewheat mac & cheese. He loves that stuff and is a rather picky eater especially with raw food but will give anything a fair shot.

Comments

• He should be followed by a doctor, naturopath and/or dietician. My husband’s chol. was 267 and after a spiritual fast (lemon water and small amounts of clear juice), it dropped to 158. He continued to eat mostly raw after that, but when he eats the other “stuff”, his chol. spikes again. It is something that you have to keep tabs on very regularly if you want to really cure/treat it with diet and exercise. But it can be done. My husband was told by his MD. that he would never be able to live without cholesterol reducing medications. This was four years ago and he is still med free. But definately get a full workup done and be followed by some form of professional help

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

MAMA MILK Could you provide any details on the terms of his fast and subsequent bloodwork? Was that his first fast? I have read much on fasting previously, but never how it was done to correct elevated cholesterol.

I just googled fasting and cholesterol and found references stating that cholesterol usually increases during a fast, which makes sense after reading the reasons why, and then “returns to normal,” which sounds like the author may have meant pre-fasting levels. I would be interested in knowing how long after the fast he had his bloodwork, if that is information you woould not mind sharing. Thanks.

• Yes. However, you probably know more than I do. (you seem to be well-read). Anyway, the cholesterol lowering was actually by happenstance, since he began his FIRST 40 day fast for spiritual reasons not health reasons. This was 4 years ago. In that time period, he lost 40 lbs., yucky skin cleared up, IBS and hemorroids went away, blood sugar issues resolved, and the cholesterol went down. He ate high raw after that and maintains it as long as he continues high raw.

His initial bloodwork was a few months before the fast. The next bloodwork showing the lowered cholesterol was within a few weeks of him ending the fast. A year later, his cholesterol was even better. He was also exercising and eating very well. Hope that helps. Of course, this is just our personal experience. That’s why it’s very important to be monitored by a professional. : ) I’d love to hear more of what you learn meditating.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

4 yr ago my cholesterol was 230… I had many other health problems and as I addressed them by changing from one SAD meal a day that my daughter picked up, to 6 vegetarian meals a day… My numbers dropped to 150 and my other health problems went away…

After 4 months raw, my cholesterol is 137… I have never fasted…

Good luck to your husband realizing it is HE who has to take charge, and be everything he can be!!!

• That is very true. congratulations waterbaby! It is definately the high raw that maintains the lower cholesterol. For my husbands INDIVIDUAL situation, it was simply kickstarted by the fasting which led him to WANT to eat healthier! If a person just wanted to fast to get rid of health problems and not address those issues with proper diet and exercise maintenance, there is trouble ahead. Everyone is different and needs to follow a path that will lead to their health and wholeness!