Isn't it better to get most of your calories from raw grains than raw nuts?

RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

I realized that I have been getting most of my calories from fat…aka, raw nuts and oils.

So, I tried that 80/10/10 thing out. I lasted 4 days. Because I had to get most of my calories from fruit, I was spending money like crazy and constantly eating and still hungry on top of it. Then, I thought-This is ridiculous!!! I can’t keep spending this much money and starve anyway!

Then I thought about raw grains and how they are more calorie-dense than fruits and they also supply many nutrients and healthy benefits for the body. They have a lot less fat than nuts and less calories. I’ve been thinking about getting most of my calories from grains, specifically buckwheat and oat groats. Isn’t this better than eating mostly fats? And, must I always soak the grains? I just had a breakfast of bananas, apples, and buckwheat groats, unsoaked, and I just read that this could be harmful…but I feel fine. So, what do you guys think?

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

It’s best to soak your grains and have them sprout a little. This way, the enzyme inhibitors are reduced – so you can actually digest them. Buckwheat are seeds, by the way, not grains.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I would soak the stuff. I have sprouted buckwheat & then dehydrated the sprouts – great for raw cereal! I love sprouted wheat/barley breads. I agree; it’s a good way for me to get lots of calories/nutrients cheaper than fruit.

FYI: Oat groats aren’t raw, even though they say they are. You can get raw (sproutable) whole oats from www.sunorganic.com – just be sure to order the oats for sprouting, not groats.

I bought some raw oat groats from my local farm supply/feed store. They sell feed for horses. My oats were raw, they sprouted. Only $2 for 5lbs of oats!

like angie, i love to use sprouted buckwheat in raw cereals! it makes yummy granola – lots of granola recipes on goneraw.

• I use sprouted grains sparingly. I basically use them instead of nuts in dessert/bread type recipes. Sprouted wheat berries and dates make a nice base for a bread. :)

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Nuts are just as bad as grains, don’t be fooled. You’re filling your digestive systems up with stuff that’s not coming out, by the way. People aren’t meant to eat nuts because they can’t open the shells with their teeth like squirrels can. And grains, wow, let’s not fall for that.

RawKidChef – Do you have any evidence to back up your statements? ‘Nuts and grains are bad’ doesn’t provide concrete information, and isn’t terribly useful.

Sorry bout that, Winona, I was editing my post and it took too long. I don’t really have any evidence but it’s just common sense for me to think that grains aren’t digestible because I don’t do well with either nuts or grains. Here’s my take on it.

If your hungry, instead of fulfilling your cravings (which is bad for you), why don’t you eat green foods? The leafy ones are okay, but why not try some Klamath Lake Wild Blue Green Algae? I take a hundred capsules of the stuff a day (yes, literally) for protein and I grow one inch a month.

If you want a breakdown of my diet, I eat lots of fruit, some raisins, blue green algae, Mega-Zyme, Primal Defense, and maybe a little young coconut here and there.

Why don’t you try eating less fruit and more algae (microgreens are best, chock full of nutrients). I would take megadoses, though, because you need the protein to prevent getting hungry. But you don’t need a hundred caps a day, that’s just because I’m growing.

About the nuts, squirrels and other animals have the natural ability to open nutshells with their teeth and thus states they were, in nature, meant to eat nuts. People can’t open nutshells with their teeth, and thus probably weren’t meant to eat nuts.

Also, it’s just all over the internet and magazines, raw or not, you need to make fresh fruits and vegetables the bulk (more than 80%) of your diet. Just a thought.

Alright, if you can digest them that’s great but I can’t do that.

true. but did you know that our intestines are more than 500 feet long (12-16 times the length of our bodies) I just wouldn’t take a chance with my digestive system. But you guys know better for your bodies i guess.

• RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

Thanks for all the advice! RawKidChef-I don’t really like the taste of algae and I have tried to eat mainly fruits and vegetables, but with only starving results. I am on a budget as well, a poor college student who can not afford to spend all her money on food. Oh, and by the way, I guess if people aren’t meant to eat nuts because they can’t open them, then I guess we can kick coconuts out too. :) Just teasing, thanks for all your wisdom!

• lol @ coconuts … classic ..