TAKE ACTION!

DreaDrea Raw Master

Got Fresh Spinach? Lettuce? Think again! September 5th, 2008 by The Cornucopia Institute

Radiation Treatment Lowers Nutrition and Raises Spoilage Issues

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA), on August 22, published a new federal regulation permitting – but not requiring – the use of ionizing irradiation for the control of food-borne pathogens and extension of shelf life in fresh iceberg lettuce and fresh spinach.

In plain English this means that these greens, when conventionally grown, may now be zapped with high-energy Gamma rays, or electron beams (the same technology as x-rays only much more powerful). Scientific literature suggests that irradiation destroys valuable nutrients, weaken cellular structure, and leaves foods even more susceptible to spoilage. It may also, in some food cases, create dangerous chemical byproducts.

Take Action: There is a thirty day period (expiring on Monday September 22) for the filing of objections with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to their irradiation rule. Unfortunately the FDA no longer accepts regular e-mails. Instead, you may:

• send a fax to 301-827-6870 • send mail or hand delivery to: Division of Dockets Management (HFA-305), Food and Drug Administration, 5630 Fishers Lane, Room 1061, Rockville, MD 20852.

Be sure to reference Docket No. FDA-1999-F-2405 in any communications.

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I’m going to fax them.

• I emailed when they were taking e-mails, do I need to fax again?

• DreaDrea Raw Master

Yes. I certainly would, because more contact cant hurt only help.

• DreaDrea Raw Master

I really feel strongly that we should come together as a raw community on issues like this. I’ve heard several disputes about how it’s optional right now or whatever, but in history there have been allot of laws or regulations passed that started as suggestions or options that are now a demanded reality! So lets do something, its over 2,000 of us on this site alone, that should make a dent!

• iknikn

I will definetly fax them. Thanks for posting this.