Making Tahini

I’m new to raw (and loving it). I found tahini in a local middle eastern market. All seemed good because the label said 100% hulled sesame seeds, no additives, no preservaties. Shopping for my second jar, thought I better check with the manufacturer, who responded “Tarazi Tahini does not follow a pasteurization process, however, during the manufacturing process of Tahini (sesame seeds into paste); the sesame seeds are heated to 240 degrees.” So, now I need to know how to make my own. I do have a Vitamix (no dry container), and a food processor. For those who have made it successfully, should I be soaking the sesame seeds first? If yes, do they need to be dehydrated before going to the next step? Will it be necessary to add something wet, such as water, sesame oil, or both, to prevent it turning into a powdery substance?

Comments

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I use this recipe to make my tahini – turns out great!

http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/1419-Raw-Tahini-

If you want to buy your tahini, Artisana makes a raw one that is really good. Not too expensive either (around 8$ for a 16 oz jar)

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

the magic bullet is a friend to all who love tahini. it makes the perfect amount and not much goodness lost with cleaning.

if you were going to use the food processor, i’d grind the dry seeds in a coffee grinder first.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

pianissima, how to you grind that many seeds in a coffee grinder? That must take forever. Or do you just make enough for what you are doing at that moment?