Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Holistic Option to Surgery?

I have some kind of a cyst in my mouth, close to my lip. It’s been effecting the way that I move my mouth. I was seen by a doctor for it. Without even seeing me or touching the area that the cyst has formed in, the doctor told me he would cut it out.

That freaked me out…but I continued to set up a surgery date.

That surgery date was yesterday.

Prior to the appointment, they told me NOT to eat or drink ANYTHING after midnite, the night before surgery. Well, my appointment was at 2pm..I’d gone to the gym, and got really hungry so I had some fresh squeezed OJ. They were freaking out about that at the hospital…saying that they couldn’t completely sedate me and that I would feel pain during the surgery.

I told them that I didn’t want to be sedated in the first place. I was under the impression that they could locally numb the area and I would be awake for the whole thing.

Anyway, the put me on an IV…I thought I could handle it, but I couldn’t. Whatever sedative they gave me made me feel SO freaked out. I felt like it was the end of the world. I felt out of my body, weak, paranoid, anxious and itchy.

I ended up calling it off. I couldn’t handle it. I don’t do any drugs, so this was INTENSE. I really wanted to die. They said I would have to reschedule, but I want to look into something holistic.

Has anyone ever had surgery while being raw? Have you ever been this sensitive and had this bad of an experience with the meds?

I was reading about some tinctures I can take but the cyst wouldn’t go away for a few months. I’m thinking that’s worth it over the surgery any day.

Ahh help me. Please!

Comments

• I’d recommend the surgery. There are a few logical reasons for this. First, you want to make sure that the cyst is benign. If it represents a greater risk to you and your health, you don’t want it in your body for that long.

Second, its starting to interfere with your every-day activities. “If” the tinctures work, best case scenario, it would be a few months. If they do not work, which is a high possibility, the cyst could grow and further impede your mastication. And reason 1 above is applicable here as well. Surgery would take care of it immediately.

I’ve had surgery many, MANY times in my life and none of them were exciting experiences I’d do again tomorrow. That said, surgery was always the easier, more sure-fire, and safest route to take. Much of the stress was in your mind, and understandably so, surgery is pretty scary. But a doctor wouldn’t recommend surgery unless they were pretty darn certain that it was the right route to take.

• Thank you for the response Rawry…

I think my mentality was pretty good up until the point of feeling my nerves from the IV. I was even ok when they were drawing blooding and putting a tube in my vein. Everything was ok up until the meds hit me. So, sure, it was all in my head, but that’s because of the drugs.

It makes sense why you’d recommend the surgery. I’ll do some more research and call back to see what I can agree upon with the doctor.

I’m pretty tough. I do expect surgery to be unpleasant, but not like an “end my life” type of unpleasant.

Any more thoughts? Anyone? Anyone?

• I agree with Rawry. Find a good surgeon and there should be no problems. You’ll get the problem solved right the first time, and you’re done with it. It will be unpleasant, but that will go away within a day or two. Better than living with a cyst for months waiting for some hocus-pocus natural cure to work. It’s a relatively simple surgery, and yeah there are drugs involved, but it’s only temporary and it’s not something that will linger with you.

• NoMoreRaw, most of the drugs out there are made from those so called “hocus pocus natural cures.” The vast majority of medications come from plan extracts and so forth. I’m sure a lot of people here have strong convictions about herbal remedies and such. Try not to be so insensitive to the beliefs of others.

I’ve had good success against tapeworms in my cat Akex, by simply increasing his intake of garlic, goldenseal and even pumpkin seeds! The latter actually seems to work the best – I’ve tried several things, cuz he seems to get tapeworms frequently (another reason I’m switching him off meat).

• Well I was kinda harsh in saying “hocus-pocus” but when it comes to removing a cyst, I don’t think eating a certain herb is gonna get rid of it the way surgery would. It’s for her own benefit, so she can get back to living normally and being a cutie.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Hi, megan. What kind of cyst is it, hon? I don’t think any of us can make intelligent decisions for you, but you might want to see a second doctor. Not to tell you that you should use a “burning” balm, no way, but to get a second professional opinion.

By the way, I do make a few herbal tinctures and all herbal treatments are medications and need to be used with caution and respect. I would not recommend you try to burn this cyst off with any herbal preparation at all. I’m very much against this sort of thing, short of frying off a wart, which is actually kind of fun:-D

• See a dentist/oral surgeon for them to evaluate you. They may be willing to simply aspirate it with a very thin needle to examine the cells under a microscope and determine that it is benign. With this sort of procedure, you would have a small amount of numbing medicine placed in the affected area so you wouldn’t need to worry at that point about serious meds. This will allow them to diagnose you properly and give you more options for treatment.

Please get a second opinion by seeing a doctor specializing in conditions of the mouth! This will give you peace of mind in determining what it is you are dealing with and what you need to do to ensure you are healthy!

• Good idea mamamilk, Getting a second opinion would be a smart thing to do. Best to get it checked out ASAP though to make sure it’s not malignant.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

good advice, mamamilk

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Meganthevegan~ Please listen to TomsMom & Mamamilk, their advise is sound!!! But also find out what sedative was added to your IV… If sounds as if you had an allergic reaction and should stay away from that medication in the future…

The sooner you know the better you will feel, so don’t delay with your second opinion!!!

Huggs for peace of mind and good health to YOU!!!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

you should be able to do it without the sedative. just tell them you don’t need one. they may still need to hook up an IV because if something happens they want to have easy access to your vein, etc.

i agree with mamamilk to get a second opinion as well.

• ungratefulungrateful Raw Newbie

I had two cysts removed from my jawline last year with no anesthesia. It hurt but it only took a few minutes.

I waited ten years to have mine removed. If I had only known how easy it would be, I’d have done it years ago. :)