Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

oil cleansing

chicorychicory Raw Newbie

has anyone here tried oil cleansing with good results? I need a facial soap alternative, but i do have issues with breakouts, etc. I wanted to maybe either try EVO, or EVCO. I have also heard castor oil works, but don’t know if using it is a bad idea, since castor bean is toxic?

Comments

• I have oily skin and also tend to break out often but recently got my regimen all straightened out and no more breakouts. Also, for breakouts eat a lot of cantaloupe, essential fatty acids (like those in walnuts and avocados) and zinc (pumpkin seeds). And water! It almost completely got rid of my acne except for braiding my hair at night to keep it out of my face, which i realized 2 weeks after i started doing it cured all the acne on my cheeks.

Anyway, I use a water, awapuhi, diluted tea tree oil mixture with rosemary oil and juniper oil (antibacterial). DESSERT ESSENCES sells a bulk organic bottle of this for cheap online. It’s raw and great. I wash every night and day with an almond-size amount of this liquid and lather with water and just lather it all over my face then wash it off thoroughly with water and dry with a natural cotton cloth that i wipe my face with gently to get off excess oil. Then I use an organic no-alcohol toner every night and day which has done wonders! It’s called “BEE CEUTICALS” BEE BALANCED FACIAL TONER. It’s all natural, sustainable, organic, healthy, and awesome. Then if I need moisture, which I never do because my skin is oily, I use a drop smaller than a pea of RAW extra-virgin avocado oil or coconut oil. I use this as lotion too and use Pure vitamin E on my scars and coconut oil an the ends of my hair for conditioning too when it’s still wet.

Sorry so long. I really hope this helps though, it honestly changed my life. I feel more confident now with my clear skin and this regimen than I ever have.

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

I use coconut oil as a cleanser and as a moisturiser. I just use a warm damp cloth to remove it between cleanses.

I used to be a completely consumer monkey years ago and I am also a trained beauty therapist.

I can honestly say I wouldnt use anything except oil now. The more natural the better. I might add some esentials oils here and there, but not to cleanse as you wipe most of it back off..

You mentioned breakouts, I get them too occasionally but I’ve heard the best thing to clean oil with is oil, having tried it I couldnt agree more.

I wash the cloths regularly and havent looked back.

Let us know how you get on

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

I put this up somewhere else recently but thought it would be relivent here too. Raw Gaia make 100% vegan, raw, face products. They only use things like cold pressed oils and butters, and essential oils in their products. I recently met the girl who used to work for the company making the products and she is 100% RV and realy lovely. They are a company local to where I live and I have met quite a few people who swear by their products. I am planning to finish off my weleda iris stuff and then switch to them, my skin is already quite good, but there is always room for improvement!

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Wow, neat topic!

clr-1976…So, what exactly do you do? Just massage coconut oil over your face then wipe it off immediately?

I had a friend actually only used plain water on her face or nothing at all, but instead would massage her face with her fingertips in the morning and evening, never used a washcloth on her face. It was some sort of asian (I think) plan where massaging the oils around your face and not washing them off results in smoother, more supple skin. She said it was hard to adjust to mentally because she kept thinking that her face was not clean, but she said it worked. Have you heard of that?

Hey Rawmama – Yup pretty much!

I think there’s loads to be said for facial massage but I think impurities, dirt, pollution, sweat, sebum, dead skin cells need to be removed too or bacteria will looove it.

When I was training as a therapist and we were all learning the facial massage routine week by week, my skin got loads better, as you stimulate, lymph, blood flow etc and it can work wonders. You can definitely do it for yourself as your friend does but for me I’d like it to be clean first.

I massage it in, as you would a cleanser, then place a warm cloth over my face for a few seconds to get the steam to soften things up then wipe it all off in little circles. Then do it all again! I work in London though so I’m pretty grotty at the end of the day so might go for 3 if feeling icky. Normally find 2 does the job though. I wouldnt be comfortable with one.

I heard somewhere that coconut oil is one of the closest things to natural sebum, another reason why its so good for this, and I love it.

Here’s some info on oil cleansing

http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

Scroll down to the method instructions but its pretty much as I discribed but with more detail.

I’ve seen the raw gaia products before and was going to treat myself to some of the cleanser and the ‘for her daughters’ – liked the sound of that, before my hol earlier this year.. Traipsed all the way to a shop I had found listed as a stockist in Marylebone (as I hadnt left enough time to mailorder) and sadly they didnt have it anymore.

I have tried and can recommend ‘Live Native’ though, they’re raw vegan and organic. The essential woman is lovely & Harry liked the Head to Toe for men too. They’re based on the Isle of Skye and are lovley. I’ve met them and chatted on the phone a few times. I know Vicky works hard to get organic and fairtrade and is very ethical.

Check them out its a lovely website; http://www.livenative.co.uk/

Harry & I were halfway through setting up a skincare distribution company so have been lucky enough to go to alot of natural/organic product tradeshows. Its on the backburner now in the current climate but it def still on the radar…

Anyhoo, I’m going off topic.. Even with all the lovely products on the market (I make my own too as am also a qualified aromatherapist), I still love my coconut oil!

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

Coconut oil is awesome!!!!! I used to breakout too and i don’t break out at all with coconut oil. I love it! I use it as a cleanser and moisturizer!

Ummm, maybe I should try the coconut oil first, have seen it for sale on the baldwins site. Clr, where do you get yours? I used to buy so many products, up until about 5 years ago, then I read about all the junk in them, and changed to using as few natural products as possible. I am now looking into raw gaia / making my own and the coconut oil thing sounds like the sort of thing I was thinking about. I have been massaged with it once and it was gorgeous.

Hey SL,

I get mine from Neals Yard as I work right next to Carnaby Street. Its Organic and is about £2.50. There’s on e in Brighton.

Last year Harry got me some Coconut Butter from Base Formula, he got me a HUGE tub (all gone) and it was great, I used it for cleansers, making products, put it in the bath (wow) and uncooking! The butter has a bit more flesh in it and smells and tastes of coconut whereas the oil doesnt.

I’m going to get some more from base formular as the neals yard one is convenient but too small to use for all the other stuff too.

I dont know Baldwins?

I totally know where you’re coming from about all the junk, I avoid everthing now, even have organic tampons, and love the idea of Live Natives ‘Love Lube’ (Coconut oil’s another winner there by the way ;o) ). I used to be an advertisers dream and get all sorts of rubbish. This is way kinder on my body, the environment and my purse!

I’m sure you can get a small pot of coconut oil to try in most health food shops, it might be food grade but that means you know its good quality so double bonus! I think you can get it from the likes of Superdrug but it wouldnt be my first choice.

I’ve even got my teenage niece onto it!

Hi Clr, I have already got some food grade coconut oil but the massage I had was with coconut oil that was liquid, it smelt wonderfully of coconut. Baldwins (link below) sell some I was just wondering if that was you used. I use the organic tampons too, infinity in brighton is good for stocking up on that kind of thing (plus you get to say “I’m going to infinity” which amuses me – small things and all that!) have been reading the oil cleansing method website and am itching to try it. (not literally!)

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Well I looked at the coconut oils they have on that website and it looks like they aren’t naturally liquid but heated until they become that way. The extra virgin cold pressed unrefined coconut oil I have is not liquid but it turns to liquid almost immediatly when I put it on my hand.

Augh! hadn’t spotted that tjb, thanks for pointing that out. bother!

The prices on there were much more anyway. My suggestion is get the virgin unrefined coconut oil from your healthfood store and then just heat it by setting the jar in a bowl of warm water. It’ll be just as good and smell amazing!

• shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

I would recomment dry brushing every few days with oil cleansing. It seems to work great for me, but I noticed that it doesn’t remove a lot of dead skin cells, which can cause you to break out if you don’t exfoliate after awhile. Other than that, it feels great doing it and makes your skin look great too!

A muslin cloth to remove it can work really well from an exfoliation point of view. Used in little circles and washed regularly :o)

Ooh and BTW, the coconut oil I’ve got doesnt smell, but the coconut butter does…? Eh? Does anyone else find that?

that probably means the coconut oil you bought isn’t cold pressed unrefined virgin coconut oil. I made the same mistake the first time I bought it. It was cold pressed and virgin but somewhat refined.

Seems to me that what we need is a universal “raw” symbol, like the vegi and vegan ones, companies can only use it if their product is 100% raw processed at every stage. probable have to be a lot more rawists before that ever happens though…

hmm, I think maybe it might be getting a bit more popular. I live in the midwest(big on bbq and meat and potatoes) and my hyvee a couple years ago started a health food section where they sell raw seeds and nuts in bulk and things like medjool dates and there are several products marked RAW. I wish there was more because I”m always confused on things like “expeller pressed” and stuff like that when I just want to know if it was heated! We should start something….like a petition. haha

Yes, or maybe just all write to manufacturers asking if they are raw products or not and then set up a thread on here, purely to report back and state which companies gave the answers we want to hear, would be like Zoe and Chris’s dead food list but in reverse.

Hey! That’s a great idea! It can’t hurt and we could get the input from anyone who has done any research of their own.

Egg-cell-ant I shall start a thread right now.

hehe thanks! It looks awesome and I’m hoping we can get some good info.

What great ideas guys! – See, raw-ies really do have great brain power! :o)

Gonna go look for that thread…

• Can't tell you anything about oils,but have a few receipts for your break outs!!

When you making pumpkin juice(never tried?really nice)keep the pulp,put it all over your face and leave for 15-20 min.wash off with warm water.

I used to do the body scrub,even before i started raw,honey+coffee grounds+few smashed berries(optional,depend on the season)mix it all and used it in sauna mostly!!!!So you can adopt it and make it raw!Also add the tea tree oil in to you products and you will forget about ur ane

• george43george43 Raw Newbie

Oil Cleansing for eczema is a must. I bought it from the Likeitontop.com Its products are handmade using organic, natural, and vegan ingredients. The quality of all products is outstanding.  If you want to get rid of it once or all of the time then use an eczema body scrub. It protects skin from eczema. I use it and it is beneficial for me. I hope it will be helpful for you