Need advice...

so I am going to attempt a bread recipe but it calls for 1 cup of flax ground up.. but I dont really like the taste of flax … would I be able to use sunflower seeds instead? the bread recipe is made with apples, water, olive oil, salt.. and spices. its not a recipe from this site.. not really good at making raw bread.. :(

Comments

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

Hmmm.. I would guess that it would be best to use something that resembles flax in its oil and fiber content, but what that would be I’m not sure…

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

how about a mix of sunflower seeds and chia seeds?

• maybe I will try that :) can the chia seeds be grinded up into a powder? will it ruin them?

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

chia can be ground. delicious.

• yayy… I will definitely be trying the sunflower and chia seeds mixture.. I have such fussy tastebuds. :O thanks chicory, pianissima, and annabelle77 :)

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

not a huge fan of flax either. If it is disguised by onions in bread, then, yum! I don’t like the smell of it when it dehydrating though. when making bread I throw in whatever is handy, some sunflower seeds, some sesame seeds, chia, hemp, any combination really… i don’t like measuring :)

• yeah I tried making raw bread with it a few times.. and it was awful.. :( was bitter tasting to me.. :O

• yes, I’m using chia instead of flax… I can’t stand more than 1/4 cup of flax in a recipe… and the smell of it dehydrating makes me want to puke. Sorry for you flax lovers, I was actually very surprised by my reaction to it, and kept trying it in several recipes before I realized that it was the flax that was bugging me.

let us know how it turns out! :)

• yes, I’m using chia instead of flax… I can’t stand more than 1/4 cup of flax in a recipe… and the smell of it dehydrating makes me want to puke. Sorry for you flax lovers, I was actually very surprised by my reaction to it, and kept trying it in several recipes before I realized that it was the flax that was bugging me.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

You know, flax goes rancid very easily, could it be that you had a bad batch of seeds?

You could use buckwheat too…it has the gluey thing going on with it that flax does, so it will help the bread to stick together and not crumble.

Click on my profile and there is a recipe called ‘Zoe’s Bread’, it is tasty and simple to try out. It has 1 cup of flax in it, but you can’t taste it, you wouldn’t even know it was there.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I recommend golden flax, it has a lighter flavor. Ah yes, buckwheat is an excellent suggestion.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Buckwheat is much lighter and less oily, so you might want to add extra oil to the recipe if you go down the buckwheat route.