New to Juicing

I just got a Champion 2000 Juicier and have a somewhat stupid question -

When juicing oranges and lemons, do I have to peel them first?

Comments

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I have a Champion juicer. I dont use it for citrus fruit. I have a small electric juicer for a large amount and a small wooden hand reamer for one lemon/lime.

I dont know it you can or can not use citrus fruit in a Champion, but if I did, I would peel the fruit first.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I’d peel them first too. Even if your juicer can handle it with the peels it makes the juice very bitter.

• steviostevio Raw Newbie

I have heard (but not substantiated) that there are a LOT of nutrients in the pith (the white stuff on the inside of the peel). As a result, I peel my oranges with a veggie peeler just to take the outer most peel off. It is a little more bitter, but not so bad really. You could try this while juicing.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i wondered that too. i peel them but not all the way off.

• Just out of curiosity I juiced my lemons with the peels on last time and made lemonade. It was amazing! It tasted like the lemonade I remember getting from the stands at the fairground when I was a kid! I’ve never done it with oranges though. (And I should add that I do not have a very good juicer and it still handled them just fine.)

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

The pith has bioflavinoids. Some time when recipes call for lemon juice, I just peel off the skin and throw in the lemon.