Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

She's nuts!

lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I like my soaked nuts to snack on so I dehydrate them. How can I get the sea salt to stick on there without adding a whole bunch of ingredients. i just like them whole with salt. I’d use a little oil after dehydrating if you think that will help make the salt stick. That would be fine.

Comments

• dodododo Raw Newbie

i wonder, if you rinsed them in a bowl of well disolved salt water b4 dehydrating them if that wouold leave a salty residue.

let me know if you try it

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Why not try sprinkling the salt on the almonds on the dehydrator sheets before you dry them? Or is that what you did?

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

I agree with dodo… soak them in salty water, that’s gotta do the trick!

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I know it’s not sea salt, but I soak mine in nama shoyu and then dehydrate, they are great. Peanuts made like this taste like roasted peanuts.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

RKC- that’s what i did and all the salt blew off when they got dry. I have tried your method, dodo and Annabelle. Somehow it’s just not the same- there is a kindof salty taste, but I guess i could try again. I’m thinking it’s like trying to salt hot air popped corn. i’m going to have to add a bit of oil. I thought if i added a little coconut oil and stored them in the fridge, the salt crystals would harden on there with the oil. Maybe someone has tried that?

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

Hmmm, yeah, I agree with your thinking… why dont you try really massaging the soaked almonds with a mixture of salt and coconut oil…

• evergreenevergreen Raw Master

hi Izhpt…i sometimes use a very diluted date paste as “glue” for the salt…i really don’t taste the sweetness of the dates:)

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Would it help to finely grind the salt into a powder? I put a powderd salt herb seasoning on zucc. slices to dry and they came out way to salty. Have to “brush” it off to eat.

• ungratefulungrateful Raw Newbie

I am going to try soaking nuts in water with some salt and see if that does anything. I have been thinking about this for a while but have been cutting down on my nut intake lately. Next week for sure. lol.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

So they are dehydrating now..I ended up with 1T olive oil for probably 3 C of nuts and 3 bams of sea salt. We’ll see. I want them nice and crispy so I’m guessing they’ll be in there 24 hours. Something happens to nama when i dehydrate it. The flavor REALLY intensifies and it makes me sick to even smell it. I don’t really use it.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

So I’ve been doing this almost daily now with different nuts. I soak them, rinse them WELL and toss them with 1T of olive oil and 3 healthy pinches of sea salt for each 2 cups or more of nuts. It allows me to monitor my nut intake (I’ve been known to eat 1/2 a raw pie). They don’t crash me like other nut recipes and i don’t overeat them. I feel like I’m having roasted nuts in the fall!!! My vata likes this.