Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

I'm a mess! Any advice?

lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I experience terrible insomnia to the point of not sleeping at all! 2 weeks now and I’m really going nuts!!! Thyroid?? B12?? Now, of course, I am sick with a bad cold. I don’t think I’ve had a cold in more than 5 years! Over the weekend, I ran 8 miles, felt great and on the way home experience horrible hypothermia (I should mention it was 50 degrees, not 20) and i developed Reynoud’s phenomenon, which is this problem where the tips of the fingers ( i wore gloves) get completely white and numb. The little arteries that supply the ends of the fingers go into spasm and close off. A hot shower helps the hands, but for the rest of the day my body temperature never got above 97.4. I wore many layers during my run. The only other time i experience something similar was during my last marathon. After the run, I thought I would die from cold. My whole body was shaking (again. It had warmed to 50 degrees so I’m not running in Siberia).

Comments

• Hi Izhpt

I know most everyone here is either vegan or vegetarian however I would recommend checking out the book “We Want To Live” by Aajonus Vonderplanitz. One of the things he would recommend is raw unpasturized butter and unheated honey mixed together. It sounds to me like the raw fat in the butter would be good for your system. It really helped my joints and brought strength to my legs that surprised me, as I am not very physically active.

Almost three years ago I went raw with Dr. Gabriel Cousins way, then about a year and half ago I discovered Aajonus’s book and went totally with him. Now for about the last six or more months I have dropped eating alot of meat and mostly only eat raw dairy and eggs with occasional raw fish along with raw produce,etc. Aajonus’s book is a good read and informative as well. My next raw experience, I think is going to be “The 80/10/10 Diet”. Through these experiences I believe I will come up with a unique diet that is good for me.

• I have absolutely no credentials in this area, so please know that before I make my suggestion.

Have you tried cayenne pepper? I tend to ‘run cold’ like you, and I find that a 1/4 tsp of cayenne in a little apple cider vinegar (just take it like a shot, and it will go down fairly easily) gets my internal fires burning a little hotter, so to speak. Some people have a lot of that ‘fire’ in them naturally, but I don’t, so pepper helps me. It’s a good anti-inflammatory agent, and good for your heart, too, so it won’t hurt to try.

good luck, and I hope you get some really good sleep soon.

• Oh, and when I say I ‘run cold’ I mean my normal body temp. I usually have a temp of around 97.5. Probably thyroid related, but I would certainly rather use cayenne than synthetic thyroid drugs if I can get away with it.

• I have extreme insomnia too! and Im always freezing, though I do not go for runs.. I bike every day to work and back and while at work I am on my feet all over. I also eat spinach pretty often… is that bad?! I eat alot of sprouted almonds, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds….. maybe has something to do with that? I dont know… I have been vegetarian for 5 years, and vegan for three months, and raw, for just about a month now… I jumped into all three of those changes with out any research or help from “professionals” I just do my research on wikki, and other sources to find out the nutrient content.. anyways. Im frustrated.

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I also “run cold” and I feel like it’s related to thyroid function. I’ve been taking Modifilan for a few months, and I’m definitely doing better this fall than I did last fall and winter. I’m also trying to up my intake of seaweed and coconut to keep my thyroid happy, and making cayenne a daily thing. I had some pretty bad infections in my fingers last year, and I think it’s because of the Raynaud’s. I wound up staying away from all goitrogens for several weeks last winter (I ate/drank lots of chard), though I can’t say it definitely helped. If anyone else has suggestions I’d love to hear them.

PS Modifilan is a seaweed supplement; it’s available a few places online. You can usually get vegicaps if you ask.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

What are goitrogens?

• Hi Angie,

Goitrogens are substances that suppress the function of the thyroid gland by interfering with iodine uptake which can, as a result, cause an enlargement of the thyroid, i.e. a goitre.

The list is extensive, and includes: Pine nuts Peanuts Millet Strawberries Pears Peaches Spinach Bamboo shoots Radishes Horseradish Bok choy Broccoli Brussels sprouts Cabbage Cauliflower Collard greens Kale Kohlrabi Mustard greens Rutabagas Turnips

Hope that's helpful.

-osoniye

• o my goodness....

r these the different fruits and veggies with goitrogens in them?

some of those are in season

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

Maybe you had a blood sugar crash. I always try and make sure my first meal of the day has tons of leafy greens in it so I don't set off a blood sugar spike which just causes strange energy levels throughout the day.

I don't stress about the whole goitrogens thing, I used to think about it because I was always cold. But now I still eat the same but with MORE leafy greens and it doesn't bother me. Check out energy soup! It's very healing and energizing. I don't put in the avocado though.

Good luck!

• I don't know anything about Thyroid... but I wanted to just address the insomnia.

When I first became a vegetarian at age 17, I had no idea what I was doing, and I wasn't eating correctly at all. I became anemic and had a very bad case of insomnia. I'd be very tired during the day, but at night I'd be wired, tingly, and unable to sleep.

Now, whenever I start feeling like I'm having trouble sleeping, I boost up my iron intake. My favorite way is with beets. I make a lovely salad with beets, oranges, and beet greens.

Now, low iron doesn't account for those other issues, but perhaps they aren't related, and you could at least address the insomnia by boosting iron intake. I really hope you feel better soon.

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

How much cacao r u eating. Not trying to upset anyone - but i became a mess when i started eating cacao everyday. might wanna check into that?

• Raw CurlsRaw Curls Raw Newbie

Are you practicing food combining?

Eating sweet fruits too close to bedtime?

Eating any foods with natural stimulants (such as the cacao as mentioned above)?

What do you usually eat before you run?

What is your daily average fat intake percentage (www.fitday.com)?

What is an approximate example of what you eat on a regular basis?

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

osoniye - thanks :)

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

Hi Izhpt!

I can COMPLETELY comiserate. I too have Reynouds syndrome, and am a runner. During training season, sometimes after running 15-plus miles in the HOT Chicago summer-- I would come home and have to take a hot bath because I would be FREEZING! Also, I was peeing so much the day of long runs that I would become dehydrated (up to 7 lbs less weight!!) and my muscles would cramp up-- yert I couldnt keep water in me!

I have tried a lot of things to get hotter internally. I've found that short and intense workouts help me (i.e. jumping jacks for a minute, pushups for a minute, and some crunches)... BUT the BEST things are microwaveable booties. I couldnt survive the winter without them-- and with your body not strugling with temperature and circulation, maybe you'd be able to get a good night's sleep.

• thank you for the list of goitrogens. i, too, am always cold (body temp around 97 unless i have a fever), and i have struggled with insomnia since trying to go raw in august. i'll try eating less of those; i eat spinach and broccoli almost every day!

lzhpt, are there any mental issues that might be keeping you up? at first i thought that might be my problem, but now i'm not so sure. all i know is i can't turn my brain off! it goes on and on thinking about the dumbest things - song lyrics, food, whatever.

s