Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Parasidic Walnuts

are raw walnuts really high in parasites?

Comments

• Why would walnuts have any parisites? What exactly are you trying to find out about parasites? Thanks

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I don’t see why any nut would have parasites. I agree with rosehebrew, what exactly are you looking for?

• dodododo Raw Newbie

hi meloe, walnuts can kill off intestinal parasites in the human body, maybe this is what you heard and got confused?.

• Someone just told me that raw walnuts might cause diarrhea because they are prone to parasites. Another person also said that she heard this when she attended a seminar by Vianna Stibal, the founder of Theta Healing. I know most of us including myself eat raw walnuts without any problems, but does anyone with a compromised immune or digestive system need to worry about this?

• I have been wondering about this as well. I've read in a couple of places (I think one of them was Paul Pitchford's book Healing with Whole Foods) that walnuts, specifically, harbor liver flukes. Certainly, many of us eat lots of raw walnuts. Like many parasites, I think liver flukes only become a problem in certain cases (for example, when digestion is impaired and they're able to survive and establish in our bodies.

I have seen references that the *ground hull* of walnuts is used to treat for parasites.

Anyone know more? I'm certainly curious! (though I don't think I'd stop eating raw walnuts-- they're one of the healthiest nuts out there!)

• Black walnut tincture is used in combination with ground cloves and wormwood for parasite cleanses.

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I believe this claim may have originated with Hulda Clark. Although she had some interesting ideas, her obsession with parasites was rather ridiculous (she recommended microwaving salad for at least three minutes to kill any organisms before eating, as well as assigning pretty much every human illness to parasites). Regardless of where this idea comes from, why would liver flukes (which live on blood) be interested in walnuts? And how would they get there?

I would be interested to hear if anyone knows of a science-based, well-documented trend of walnuts carrying liver flukes.

• rachelmrachelm Raw Newbie

In the highly regarded book by Paul Pitchford, "Healing with Wholefoods", there is a chapter dedicated to parasites and treatment. In this chpater Paul briefly touches on the need to roast walnuts as they naturally contain a parasite known as the fluke - the walnut fluke. 

I like other health therapists know the benefits of walnuts, but I certainly suggest reading up on this chapter for futher information. Hope this helps!

ClaireT
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

I wish there were more info on this! I tried Googling it, but most of the results were about how black walnuts are used to get rid of parasites. 

• genecgenec Raw Newbie

I was going to saute and eat some raw walnut pieces that were a bit old. Then I noticed what looked like flat tapeworms crawling around.

These were sealed in a water ant tight container for about several months and the worms are not a regular fly maggot, they are very thin and about 3/4" long. The tub also did not have a rotten smell but they were making a little habitat like moths do.

Hope these things are not growing in my gut. When I was about 8, another little boy took a crap in the weeds by the swim pond (50 years ago)we looked at it and it had little flat worms that I have not thought about until opening this tub of creatures.

All these years I thought I was eating walnuts to kill parasites not add them.

This is my first post here and I assure you this is the grosses thing I have ever posted anywhere public or private.

ClaireT