Raw Sesame Milk

I made some raw sesame milk by soaking 1 cup of seeds (brown) over night and blending them with 4 cups of water and strain through a nutmilk bag. The milk came out quite bitter. I had a little every day and didn’t get sick, but I wonder if raw sesame milk is supposed to be bitter? Will the pulp be bitter too? Does it have to do with the quality of the seeds I get?

Thanks!!!

Comments

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I make sesame milk all the time and I wouldn’t describe it as bitter. It does have a different, stronger taste than other nut milks. I wonder if the seeds had gone rancid? I know that rancid oils are very bitter. I have made it using seeds and by mixing raw tahini with water. Maybe you should try the tahini method and compare the flavor.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i find sesame seeds to be quite bitter, which is why i always use olive oil and sea salt when i make tahini, or a little date paste or banana is i want it to be a little sweeter.

• Thanks for the responses!! My sesame seeds were kept in the freezer, so I wouldn’t think it has gone rancid. I wonder if I use the same seeds to make tahini, it would be bitter too.

• penfoldpenfold Raw Newbie

I think it just has to do with your taste buds. Sesame seeds always taste bitter to me, too – as tahini or anything. And I always taste overpowering avocado flavour in every desert other people say doesn’t taste like it at all. You’re just more sensitive to it, I think.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Well, if you bought the hulled sesame seeds from the store those aren’t raw. They made me sick as a dog when I ate them. Hulled sesame seeds are never raw. I’m sure the raw ones would be much less bitter. Either way, sesame seeds are naturally a bit bitter and you’d probably like your sesame milk much better if you ground in a frozen banana and a little agave if you want, like pianissima said.

• penfoldpenfold Raw Newbie

Actually, the hulled ones taste way less bitter to me. But, yeah they’re not raw. The salt that pianissima mentioned would be a good idea as salt balances out bitterness. Warming your milk a bit can help, too.

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

What about black sesame seeds? I have some organic ones that I ordered from a site that sells raw foods. It doesn’t specifically say RAW on the package. How would I know? RawKidChef, are the white seeds from a regular grocery store raw because of a heat process applied to de-hull them?