Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Papaya seed question.

derrycklderryckl Raw Superstar

Hi – I just tasted some papaya seeds while making a morning smoothie (breakfast) – they tasted really pungent – which got me thinking -they either contain something poisonous (like raw kidney beans) – or something really good!! Question is – which?

Has anyone ever used papaya seeds for a raw recipe? My first gut feel is to dehydrate the seeds and then look for something that it might taste good in…

My second gut feel is to try sprouting it. At the moment, I am on such a sprouting kick, sometimes I feel like sprouting a piece of rock!

Anyone out there, anything? And hello to all of you lovely people – from a frosty Toronto.

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

First, hello to you!

You’re not supposed to chew them because they taste exactly like what you said (black pepper but stronger). lol Don’t grind them up, just swallow them whole, they have a lot of gel on the outside which makes them go down really easily. They are not at all poisonous and are really helpful with bowel detoxing. Papaya seeds aren’t good in recipes because of their taste – but I know occasionally it is actually used in place of black pepper in spicy dishes. That would be interesting if you tried sprouting them – do let us know how it goes! :)

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

If you decide to chew the seeds or grind them up and eat them, they apparently make a decent parasite cleanse. I wouldn’t describe the flavour as anything similar to black pepper, but the reaction in my nose is similar to what I experience with super strong wasabi, though not as extreme. You can create a bubble tea-like experience, by juicing or making a thin smoothie, then stirring in the whole seeds. Suck it all up with a fat straw and don’t chew the seeds, to get that bowel cleanse effect.

• One time I did try to make a salad dressing with raw papaya seeds. It came out way too gritty (perhaps I used way too many…like the seeds from a while papaya). I didn’t mind the spicy taste (yes, much like black pepper) but the texture wasn’t pleasant. Yes, I read somewhere people in tropical areas use papaya seeds in pace of black pepper. Maybe the salad dressing idea would work if you use a smaller amount.

• One time I did try to make a raw salad dressing with raw papaya seeds. It came out way too gritty (perhaps I used way too many…like the seeds from a whole papaya). I didn’t mind the spicy taste (yes, much like black pepper) but the texture wasn’t pleasant. Yes, I read somewhere people in tropical areas use papaya seeds in pace of black pepper. Maybe the salad dressing idea would work if you use a smaller amount.

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

Ive heard of dehydrating them and grinding them as a pepper substitute

• derrycklderryckl Raw Superstar

I went with the "swallow whole" advice. They went down smooth (literally). And I felt good. Sounds a bit rude, but there's no other way to put it.

I might skip the sprouting idea for now....

Thanks, *you lovely people*. For the great advice and support that you provide to everyone.

• RubyLaineRubyLaine Raw Newbie

question is? Did they come out "smooth" too?

• Papaya Seeds are excellent in getting your digestive system rolling and cleaning it out. I blend melon and papaya then make a boba like drink with a big straw. You can also dehydrate them and use them as spice like pepper. Let us know about sprouting!

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Juliano has a recipe for "caviar" using papaya seeds, but I can't recall it now. I know it's in his book.

• Ruby - lol - ya - I think that they did come out smooth... Not sure. felt good, though...

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

Here comes WAY TOO MUCH INFORMATION: the whole seeds come out the other end quite intact. It's a great way to determine how efficient your eliminative system is. If it takes 3 days for them to make an appearance, you need to up the fibre and water intake. If it takes just 3 hours, you're a well-oiled crap machine ... LOL!

I'm very interested to hear the results of a sprouting experiment. My sprouting talents are in their infancy.

• In Hawaii, there are several brands of commercially made papaya seed dressing, so it should be fine to eat raw.

• I bottled out of sprouting the papaya. I got a bit unnerved by my gradual discovery that not *everything* can be sprouted and eaten. Thanks (lol), sweetpea. That was just what we needed to know ;-).I'll stick that nugget of info in my back pocket (a scintillating conversation starter (war story) for if I ever get stuck in a retirement home, hanging out with my co-retirees) ;-)

On a total side note, For the last couple of years of high school, we moved to live in Trinidad and Tobago (next to Venezuela, what a blast) - Papaya was abundant, falling off the trees. I hated the taste of it back then, and was giving it away hand-over-fist.

What I would do to have back those times!!!

• NamasteYa'llNamasteYa'll Raw Newbie

Wow, I just tried making a papya smoothie with spinach, peaches, papya, and the seeds of the papya! It looked beautiful. Then I tasted it and it was spicy. I knew it had to have been the seeds because I've used all those ingredients before without the seeds and it never tasted like this! I had to google papaya seeds and their taste and I stumbled upon ths community!  The comments are a great help! Needless to say, I will not be finishing this smoothie as it was my breakfast smoothie and spicy smoothie is not my cup of tea first thing in the morning! I may try some of the suggestions above by dehydrating it or making a salad dressing out of it. 

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Wow, I just tried making a papya smoothie with spinach, peaches, papya, and the seeds of the papya! It looked beautiful. Then I tasted it and it was spicy. I knew it had to have been the seeds because I've used all those ingredients before without the seeds and it never tasted like this! I had to google papaya seeds and their taste and I stumbled upon ths community!  The comments are a great help! Needless to say, I will not be finishing this smoothie as it was my breakfast smoothie and spicy smoothie is not my cup of tea first thing in the morning! I may try some of the suggestions above by dehydrating it or making a salad dressing out of it. 

Welcome to the community! I'm not sure if I could handle a spicy smoothy for breakfast either, but I'm happy that it brought you here. smile