Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Glowing skin...what is your winning formula?

Hi All,

I have noticed that long term raw eaters have a beautiful glow on their skin. It looks incredibly healthy, clear and vibrant, and I want some of that mojo!! Please share some of your secrets, or combination of things you do or eat to being beautiful inside and out!

Peace & Love

Comments

• I notice that people compliment my complexion more when I am eating lots of avocado....now that's some real "beauty food!"

• Raw CurlsRaw Curls Raw Newbie

One thing I started doing was following Tonya Zovasta's advice of using a face brush and following up with a natural cream - she has some awesome creams that I plan to order, but meanwhile I'm using Burt's Bees Marshmallow vanishing cream.

http://www.beautifulonraw.com/Natural_Beauty_Tips.html

• Raw_OrleansRaw_Orleans Raw Newbie

Avocado Oil is rich in Vitamin A, B1, B2, D, and E as well as amino acids, sterols, pantothenic acid, lecithin, and other essential fatty acids. Avocado Oil is great for those with skin ailments such as eczema, psoriasis, and other skin problems.

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

i just eat lots of fruit, olive oil, avocado and green smoothies.

everyone loves my skin :)

don't go by the picture, that's old lol

• Hey, that was what I noticed too in people with great skin...I have now replaced bananas in my green smoothies with avocados. It taste so yummy and creamy.

• Tons of water always helps me!

• I know everyone has already addressed what to put IN your body for glowing skin.... some of the things I put ON my body are:

Desert Essences face wash

Coconut oil (luxurious amounts in the winter :-)

Larenim mineral makeup (their Dusk to Dawn stuff is amazing!)

I also do the body brushing when I can fit it in in the mornings. Love that too.... feels sooo good.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I drink a couple of pints of cucumber and celery juice a day, it works WONDERS for the glow effect ;)

Also quitting nuts and just eating simple things is doing me a lot of good, but this is something that has just evolved, not something I have imposed on myself.

Something else that helps is to think of myself as beautiful. Once I was asked what part of my body I liked the most, and I was shocked to discover that I couldn't find one bit of myself that I could say I thought looked OK, let alone liked most! But I could pick apart every inch of my body and criticise it. So to stop that terribly self defeating behaviour I made a huge effort to change my thinking, using positive affirmations and subliminal CDs, and now I think all of my self is beautiful. Feeling and thinking I am beautiful and accepting myself makes a huge difference, no matter what I eat.

• beanbean Raw Newbie

That is absolutely inspiring, Zoe- I truly think that is what makes people beautiful. It seems like whether or not people see themselves as beautiful and sexy make them project a certain confidence. I'm working on that too- you're right, it is horribly self defeating to scrutinize yourself. Do you have any particular tips for feeling beautiful, and confident? Positive affirmations- do you just repeat them to yourself until you believe them? Or do you have other, little ways? (I have to say again, I LOVE your answer!)

• Hey Zoe, you look wonderful in that picture, and probably even better in person. I think the mental aspect to beauty is so important. I would say it might even be 90% of the factor in determining beauty. I noticed that when I am stressed or in a negative emotional state that my skin and complexion mirrored it (my brother even comment on it once) and when I was happy my skin was more vibrant and even. One simple thing that I do is just to smile at myself whenever I look into the mirror, even if I am not all that jolly about whatever is going on in the day I still feel good about myself.

• Zoe, if you did quit nuts,what do you eat for fats?Avos? Also,do you have oils such olive oil?And what do you eat for desert if you don't have a nut pie?

• PamPam

Carrot juice turns me the color of a new penny. But I don't drink it much because carrots are such highly concentrated sugar in their juiced form. When I'm on a mock tuna kick, though, I practically glow in the dark!

In smoothies, using the green carrot tops gives quite a mega dose of vitamin A which helps the glow.

Beyond that, a daily walk spruces up my complexion.

I also like the Master Cleanse for its skin rejuvenating powers.

• Using coconut oil is very healthy, and then cocoa butter is amazing to apply topically on the skin as well helps.

• Raw_OrleansRaw_Orleans Raw Newbie

Careful... It May be Flouridated...

www.FlourideAlert.Org

• Zoe: Would you kindly share your recipes for Cucumber and/or Celery juice? It sounds refreshing, especially during the warmer, summer months? Thanks.

:) Heather

• Hi Dovesinna, I drink cucumber and celery juice everyday. I love it!!

I juice one cucumber, one celery bunch and one lemon. If I find organic ginger in the supermarket, I add a little bit of it too.

Hope it helps!!

• I hate to ask but when you say one celery bunch, do you refer to one stalk, several stalks or the green stuff on top of the stalk?

Thanks.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Careful with coconut oil on the face, it makes me break out. I now use water water water on my face and that's it. I don't put moisturizers or anything and even though my skin was previously acne prone, flaky dry and greasy I now have no problems at all.

As for eats I get tons of water from juicy fruits and plenty of fats from extra virgin olive oil, avocados and things like that. I put coconut oil all over the rest of my body and it makes my skin silky smooth and soft.

• these are all great tips. thanks for the ideas! i've been having skin troubles since i started raw - breakouts and the like - and perhaps eating more avocados will clear things up a bit!

s

• I have noticed that,too! I've become progressively more raw for 3 months and have noticed an increase in acne breakouts and cancor sores. I think it might be because of the detox? Also, I cut back on nuts and seeds and my mouth sores have gone away for the most part. I'm still using my old skin regimen (chemicals and what not that claim to diminish wrinkles, but they don't work so well).

• michele4131michele4131 Raw Newbie

For glowing skin, we need to be careful with not only what we apply on our skin but also what we include in our diet! Following a simple vegan non-dairy diet will definitely help a lot! As far as the skincare products are concerned, nothing works best than pure organic coconut oil! I have been applying pure coconut oil every night before going to bed and it helped me in achieving a smooth and glowing skin for my wedding last month right here in Florida. So I think everyone should try using coconut oil.

• wildebeestwildebeest Raw Newbie

I use a konjac sponge to do a gentle exfoliation on my face which seems to help me get a healthy glow. I have sensitive facial skin and I've tried countless products that for multiple reasons didn't work for me and for that reason, I use the sponge without any other products, but it seems like others do use products with the sponge. I also use a small amount of coconut oil on my body as a moisturizer. For my body, I dry brush which—in conjunction with the coconut oil—has helped my keratosis pilaris (aka chicken bumps) disappear, which makes my skin look way better.  

ClaireT
  • davidwdavidw Raw Newbie

1 Wash your face way before you go to bed. If you wait until you're ready to hit the sack, you'll be too tired to wash up, and research shows skin repairs itself best around 10 p.m. So let skin breathe easy long before you start snoozing.

2 Wear sunscreen every day, year-round. Botox bites. So use a moisturizer that has an SPF 15 or higher (try Eucerin Skin Renewal SPF 15 Day Lotion, $10, drugstores). UV rays can do their damage while you're sitting in class, riding in the car or walking the dog.

3 Be nice to your face. Picking, poking and squeezing force bacteria deeper into the skin, resulting in scarring and further breakouts. Yuck.

4 Stop thinking that if your skin feels tight it must be clean. Tight skin isn't clean skin--it's dry skin. If you're rushing to dab on moisturizer after you wash, time to find a cleanser that won't leave you high and dry. Normal and combination skin will benefit most from a gel formula (we love Nivea Visage Refreshing Cleansing Gel, $6, drugstores). Got dry or sensitive skin? Go for a creamy cleanser. Either way, choose a low foaming formula. More lather=more drying. Less lather=less drying.
    advertisement

5 Banish breakouts. If you've got major acne, an acne face wash is for you (we like Clearesil Total Control 5-in-1 Acne Cleanser and Moisturizer, $9, drugstores). If you just get spot breakouts, avoid acne washes. They worsen skin by drying out the clear parts and allowing dead skin-cell buildup. The buildup traps oil under skin, leading to more clogged pores and breakouts. So use spot treatments.

6 Keep shine at bay midday. The ugly truth? You can't stop or slow down oil production. The beautiful solution? Blotting papers! They instantly pull oil off your skin. 

7 Wash your face after you do your 'do. Almost all conditioners, hair sprays and mousses contain ingredients that can clog pores. So (carefully) wash your face after using hair products.

8 Clean your makeup brushes weekly. Bacteria and oil can build up which can lead to clogged pores and breakouts. Use a mild soap (Nature's Gate Organics liquid soaps, $6, drugstores) and cold water to carefully wash out brushes, and rinse thoroughly. Toss cosmetics sponges after a few uses to prevent the spread of bacteria.

9 Change pillowcases often. As you sleep, bacteria and oil collect on your pillowcase and are reintroduced to your skin the following night. So invest in a stack of nice pillowcases, and wash them with a dye- and fragrance-free laundry detergent, like Tide Free.

10 Get your beauty rest! Eight hours should do the trick. Sleep not only keeps undereye circles away but, at night, your body most actively rids itself of toxins that might otherwise wreak havoc with your skin. Z's also reduce stress, the top ache aggravator!