green smoothie = gas attack

graceinyafacegraceinyaface Raw Newbie

Does anyone else experience horrendous gas/flatulation from drinking green smoothies? I know it's a great way to get your greens and all but doesn't it totally go against food combining laws? I really love raw greens as is and feel no need to make them sweeter or more "palatable" but I thought recently I might want to see what all the hype was about....I felt good and my sugar and fat cravings went down tremendously but it gave me really bad gas, which makes me super uncomfortable (I work in close quarters in a kitchen with a bunch of guys). Does anyone else feel like this or am I just super sensitive? Any suggestions are also greatly appreciated.

Comments

• You are right, it is against food combining laws to put fruits and veggies together (fruits should always be consumed ONLY with other fruit). I'm not sure if a lot of people on this site are actually aware of the food combo rules just based on a lot of the recipes I've looked at (only where fruit is in the combo). I'm pretty careful about only juicing my veggies and my fruits separately but sometimes I'll add a bit of apple to my carrot juice and don't get a major effect on my bowel. You are right though, you could just have a much higher sensitivity. Stick with proper food combination for a few days and see what happens, even if it means giving up your current green smoothie (or find a way to make an all-veggie green smoothie... using the pulp from your juicer is super helpful).

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

wrong. greens are not considered veggies in terms of the food combining rules. greens can be mixed with anything, they are neutral.

gas could be detox, or you are particularly sensitive to some fruit or green in there. try a new combination to see if that helps.

• Raw CurlsRaw Curls Raw Newbie

You can always blame it on the other guys :-)