Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

smoothies and digestion

tbone13tbone13 Raw Newbie

hi everyone.

i had a question regarding the drinking of smoothies. i drink anywhere from 64 to 96 ounces of smoothies per day. does eating this much fiber and not chewing cause disgestive/intestinal problems? so far, i feel fine. i do however have periods of gas. other than that, i am just concerned for the long run.

thanks and happy new year!

Comments

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Digestion begins with the saliva in your mouth. Even though you are drinking the smoothies, you should swish them around in your mouth a bit to activate and pick up saliva and begin the digestion process. Don't know if this will help with the gas.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I think grinding up the fruit does destroy the fiber so I eat most of my fruit whole, except for sorbets made by grinding frozen fruit. The whole form is more natural and for me more satisfying, plus contact with metal takes a lot of the vit c out of the fruit.

• tbone13tbone13 Raw Newbie

thanks to the both of you for your insight.

"contact with metal takes a lot of the vit c out of the fruit." i did not know that. i just hate chewing on so much food!

also, someone told me that the combination of 2 sweet friuts (bananas and oranges) can cause improper digestion. is this true? if so, i think this might also be the cause of my problems.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

Combo of acid and sweet can cause indigestion. Sweet and sweet are okay together though. Bananas are sweet and oranges are acid. Definitely a digestion no no! Look up a food combining chart! Things really work much much better the closer you stick to the chart. I follow the chart very closely. For reals now.