Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

new to dehydrating, just got new excaliber dehydrator

I am confused if I can just dry food on the mesh sheets or if I need some sort of cover sheet. I have read of people mentioning something like a "tyflex" sheet or something. Could wax paper, alluminum foil or parchment work suffiicently?

Comments

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Congratulations on your new dehydrator. You can dry most things directly on the mesh trays. Teflex sheets keep really small or liquid things from falling through the holes in the trays (fruit juice for leather, for example). I would not recommend aluminum for anything going in or on my body. I personally use parchment.

• could one exclusively use parchment then? Just wondering why Teflex would be used vs parchmt

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Teflex is a product they sell, and it's reusable, apparently indefinitely. Parchment can be used several times, depending on what you are dehydrating, but will eventually need to be replaced with a fresh sheet.

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

Hello, Have any of you successfully dried blueberries? Mine have been going about 48 hrs and theyre not even close to being done. I got a good deal on some fresh ones and thought you never know if the packaged ones at trader joes are over heated or what and it would be cool to actually use my dehydrator. lol

Looking at them, they are very well encased in their little skin. Was my mistake not cutting them open to expose them to drying better?? Anyone successful at this one, please give me a shout.

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

I would have slashed them a bit with a knife to break the skin...

• So...I just recently purchased a dehydrator myself...I attempted to dehydrate green beans and they came out chewy, which was NOT the result I expected. I dehydrated them for about 12 hrs....maybe it wasn't long enough? I figure it's a trial and error thing, so I decided to dry and dehydrate daikon in an attempt to make daikon chips....well the "chips" ended up being the size of pennies, if not smaller! I'm getting a tad bit frustrated with the dehydrating....any advice?

• I just began using a dehydrator and am having NO luck whatsoever..I tried potato chips...not crispy...just tried bananas for 12 hours..not done...I am not sure what I am doing..

one question, if I want to warm soup, can I put it safely in a plastic bag and place it on a tray?

• I will be getting my 9 tray Excalibur with 2 paraflex sheets tomorrow, I am so excited! I am looking forward to making raw breads and crackers and all kinds of raw goodies!

Steph

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

whatever you do, you HAVE to dehydate kiwi, watermelon, and mango. those ones are my favorites- mainly the watermelon. it tastes just like candy. it's also fun to see how small it gets. there's a crapload of water in watermelon so it gets super flat.

my advice for dehydrator usage is to start it at 140-145 for the first hour because i've heard that leaving food in the dehydrator too long causes a lot of bacteria to grow. after the first hour, you can turn it down to your desired setting (i.e. 105). i also use parchment paper and love it. you should also try the carrot onion crackers on here (so addicting). i eat them plain, on a salad, or with hummus.