Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Ridiculous Question? Soaking Nuts and Seeds

HI all,

I've searched the forum, and can't seem to find a specific answer to my question: when soaking nuts and seeds, is there a certain ratio/measurement of water to nuts/seeds? Or can i just through whatever amount of nuts/seeds into water? Also, is there a resource online somewhere that lists the soaking time for which nuts/seeds? I've soaked seeds before, but didn't see the fat in the water (which I;ve read is supposed to be released into the water). If anyone can help me out, that would be great. Thanks!

Comments

• I tried going to the site but wasn't able, but then I tend to have computer issues. A chart would be nice to have. I just try to make sure they're always covered in water, adding when necessary. The larger the nut the longer it gets soaked.

• here is the site referenced above:

http://www.raw-food-living.com/soaking-nuts.html

enjoy,

david.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

This site has a chart with soak times, and includes what the sprouted yield should be. For more indepth information on sprouting and detailed information on different seeds and nuts check here.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

EDIT: They work now. My error. So sorry. I usually double check the links after I post.

I'll check the formatting and try again. Give me a few minutes here. Sorry. :-(

• Thanks, I've printed it and posting in my refrigerator

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

no need to measure the water, just cover the nuts or seeds

i've never seen anything fatty in the water but sometimes there is a film in the water.

• There's a great book called "Transitioning to Living Cuisine" with the sprouting and soaking chart and a chart that tells you what the conversion quantity after soaking and sprouting is. You can find it at www.reneoswald.com. There are also video demonstrations that go along with the book and are included on the website.

• great! Thanks everyone - I just soaked some almonds last night, and chopped them in my mini chopper, using them as a topping for my breakfast. It certainly makes them easier to puree/blend/chop, and they taste fresher.

• Add enough water to cover the seeds, then let them soak overnight (8 hours). The next day, drain and rinse them very well. Now allow them to sit and sprout for 3-4 hours. This is for Hulled (no shell) Sunflower and Pumpkin seeds.

For Almonds (if you can get truly raw) you will soak the same way but for 48 hours (changing the water each day).

Then drain and rinse very well. You can use them now for Almond Milk or place them in warm water and then you can peel them for pates or other recipes, but grind them very well for easier digestion.