Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How many avocados per day is okay?

Is there a limit to how many avocados a day you should eat? Would it be okay to eat two? Obviously, I'm new to this and trying to figure things out. I know avocados are a good fat, but I don't want to pork out on them. lol

Comments

• PamPam

Okay, I'll bite. You're bound to get a wide range of answers on this. The first time I went raw, I was eating 1 or 2 a day. However, I have since come to the conclusion that fat IS fat. Sure, the fat in a whole food is better than oil but it still has to be treated by the body as a fat (meaning your system still has to clean the fat out of your blood).. I now limit my avocado consumption to 1/4 to 1/2 a day, and that's in the absence of little or no additional fats. However, my daily calorie consumption is around 1400 to 1500. If I ate 2500 like some lucky high metabolism souls, I would adjust accordingly.

All that being said, though, in the beginning it may be best not to be too restrictive!

Pam

• I eat one a week. or two a month.

Do whatever you feel is necessary.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

avocados have 33 grams of fat each and even if it's raw fat it's still fat. If I eat even an entire avocado in a day it's way too much. A quarter or half is more like it. A low fat raw diet is best because eating fat places a coating of fat around the cells and slows the digestive system down big time. lots of people say they feel better on a high fat diet but this is because the fat is making everything else hard to digest. maybe it's just a personal preference but the monkeys tend not to eat more than 15% fat and mostly fruit and lettuce. I know it sounds a lot like 811 stuff but it's also can be looked at like basic raw food stuff.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I am with strong_and_raw. I eat high fat & thrive on it, "as much as I want as long as it's raw" works for me, and above all - listen to your own body!

• strong_and_raw:

i'm so inspired by your story.

really.

that's amazing!

you inspire me.

i have a huge, significant amount of weight to lose.

the fact that you did it in 6 months gives me so much hope.

how did you stay commited?

• I had one or 1 1/2 a day when I first started and lost 10 pounds. I am tapering off now, so maybe my body is changing and I now have 1/2 a day and I am losing that last 5 pounds I would like to lose.

I think everyone is different. And your body will even change and have different needs at different times. I don't do so well on an ultra low fat diet. My skin starts freaking out. But maybe that will change in time as my body cleanses out with the raw. *shrug* I'm just going with the flow and with what works for me right now.

• I had planned on eating one a day. I guess I'll start out that way and see how it goes. Thanks for the replies!

• Wow. This is so confusing. Eat fat, don't eat fat. I'm not sure what to do.

• i gained 10 pounds eating unlimited avocado's when i was first transitioning into a rawfood lifestyle. now, i limit myself to about 1/2-1 per day. but, there is no such thing as "one size fits all" in nutrition. so, have fun experimenting for yourself!!!i love what someone mentioned previously that "fat is fat". i agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY. i'm getting into this 80-10-10 thing.

today is my first day, admittedly!!!

• StrongAndRawStrongAndRaw Raw Newbie

I lost 110 pounds in 6 months eating 100%raw foods! I DID NOT limit my fats or calories at all! I ate whatever I wanted as long as it was raw. Avocados were a staple. I would eat as many as three a day. It is imperative to eat what you want when you first go raw as long as it is raw. That is the easiest way to not "fall off the wagon". My tastes have changed since the beginning of going raw, but I still eat high fat. If you are wanting to lose "fat" you must eat fat. The body will not release fat if you starve it of fat. I would say that my fat intake is at least 50% of my calories and I am healthy and fit!

Above all else, please do not listen to us! LOL! Listen to your body because it knows best!

Good luck!

Pauline
  • zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

When I transitioned I ate 2 a day to cut cravings. It worked! I still lost weight. Now, I have lost a total of 15 pounds and feel my best when I eat very small amounts of fat. It's just what's best for me right now- but do what is best for you and you'll be better off for it! Your body knows. Trust it!

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

Dont restrict your self. Fat is not bad, fat does not kill, fat is not poison. There are anti fat rumors out there which continue to linger about and its garbage to say the least. The real danger is when you dont listen to your body and eat only for emotional purposes. Practice balance. Eat variety and you will be truly satisfied. Emotions can be overcome by leaving the house and/or meditating until the urge to splurge passes. Wow that is a good rhyme :) lol sorry. But anyways balance is key. Nature works in this way. Well thats my view on things. Put away that calculator and dont let food run your life. Many blessings to you and your loved ones! :)

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I ate a whole avocado today. Somedays I do, some days I don't. Raw fat is NOT the same as cooked fat. Just like cooked veggies are not the same as raw veggies. But according to David Wolfe the best fats for you are coconut oil and olive oil. I can just tell you I haven't gained any weight on raw, but I'm not underweight.

• I eat 1 or 2 avocados daily. Usually 1 but quite often, 2.

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

I eat one a day but I consume lots of hemp oil and olive oil as well. Of course, coconut oil and almond butter, too. I don't like to lose weight. I have a high metabolism and need the calories and fat. If I don't get enough fat I can see it on my skin. But when I get enough my skin glows and the pores are nice and filled in, smaller, the skin shines with health.

• I am fairly new to raw, but I have found something that works really well for me - not necessarily because I am worried about avocado fat content, but because they are expensive in the winter!

I take 1 or 2 avocados (more if they are starting to go south) and I make almost a raw pesto sauce with them - adding easily 5 or 6 times non-avocado parts to every 1 part avocado - green cabbage (red yummy too but it turns out a weird color), celery, spinach - sometimes raw garlic and basil, sometimes not- and of course lemon juice - stick it in the food processor and I get a nice thick paste. Then when i eat salad, i just take maybe half a cup of my "pesto" and shake my salad in it. It looks great when you add tomatoes and other colorful veggies. Somehow, the whole thing still tastes like avocados, but i've probably only used 1/2 or less a serving.

My concoction keeps for up to 3 days!

• StrongAndRawStrongAndRaw Raw Newbie

To universally_grateful,

Well, I did not weigh myself! At least for a long time. I committed to 20 weeks 100% raw without weighing myself. I ate all raw and whatever I wanted. My fats came from Bariani's olive oil, avocados, coconut butter, olives, nuts & seeds. I always had 2 avocados a days and maybe more!

I have fibromyalgia and the main reason I wanted to go raw was to see if it would break the pain cycle and allow me to exercise. It took 8 of the 20 weeks to not be in pain. During the remainder of the 20 weeks I worked out like a crazy person. I lost a lot of weight in 20 weeks! Then continued on to lose a total of 110 pounds in a little over 6 months.

The key for me was to 1) eat whatever I wanted as long as it was raw and 2) once I was able to I worked out HARD 6 day a week (taking off Sundays) and 3) not be sabotaged by the scale!

This worked for me because I can't NOT eat. I have hypogycemia and diabetes. I can't starve myself. So, I just ate whatever I wanted as long as it was raw. My favorite meals were raw tacos and sushi. I ate one or the other everyday. I did lots of green smoothies (almost on a daily basis) and chocolate malts(raw cacao shake).

I could write on and on about my experience....so why don't you contact me directly?

strong_and_raw@yahoo.com

• derrycklderryckl Raw Superstar

When I first went raw, I ate a lot of avocados a day for like the first few weeks. probably raw detox playing mind tricks, one day, I even had the idea (and tried it!) - blending avocado into brocolli (just as long as there was avocado!)

- Now, I eat one to two avocadoes a week, but I could easily eat one a day and not worry too much about it. Generally, I eat whatever I feel like, and as much as I want (as long as it is raw) - and as long as I am not eating to feel full! - I just need to no longer feel hungry.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I eat 1 or 2 avocados a day, and 2 Tbsp olive oil, and 1/4 cup Tbsp nuts/seeds. I eat 2 lbs of mixed organic baby greens/spinach/swiss chard every day. In addition, I have a couple pieces of fruit, dried fruit/olives sparingly, and veggies. I'm 133lbs, 5'5", and I haven't gained or lost any weight since going raw 1 year ago (i've eaten close to the same diet for the past year, at times more coconut/nuts or at times more fruit, less greens). I feel best at the diet i've described above. I exercise 5 days/week, 1 hour.

• Only one meal in any given day should contain a heavy oil-bearing food. And only one concentrated oil-bearing food should be eaten at a meal. Thus, if you eat an avocado with a salad, your oil license for the day has run out. If you eat two to four ounces of nuts or seeds with a salad, your oil license has expired, not only for the meal, but for the day.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

80/10/10 peeps will likely tell you not to eat a lot because of the fat.

I however don't do 80/10/10. I eat .5-1 a day, occasionally more. Considering making it two a day so I can snack on some during the day. I tend to not get to them before they go bad. I'm horrible at determining ripeness too.

I suggest doing research and figuring out what works best for you. I wasn't a heavy guy starting out, and still lost 10lbs starting out and am holding steady at 170. It's going to be different for everybody and don't take everything you see here as gospel. Good luck on your raw journey.

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

I don't know if this will be helpful at all....but avocados seem to regulate themselves with me. I just have to be sure not to eat it if my body doesn't crave it. I used to hate avocado at one point and then I learned how to make guacamole and started to eat it for a couple of days. All of a sudden it made me very sick just thinking about avocado make me feel sick. Then I started to not eat it, again...

Then one day I just CRAVED it...I ate 3 whole avocados sprinkled with sea salt in no time. I also, probably not coincidentally, was underweight at the time (I had just gone raw a few months before so I had that big initial weight loss). I guess my body was craving fats/calories to gain weight? That was during the summer.

So in November I decided to try to eat avocados again and I made avocado dressing - after 1 bite, I felt like I was going to throw up. Now I don't eat it anymore alone - only when I have veggie chili (recipe from goneraw that disguises avocado very well) - and every time I try, it makes me feel sick. If I am all out of food besides 1 avocado, I still can't eat it alone since I know it'll make me sick if my body isn't wanting it.

Soooo I guess the lesson is, listen to your body and have no preconceived notions about how much you should eat before you start eating - stop when ur body has had enough, especially early on. I guess it gets a little tough, though, if your body wants 4, 5, 6, etc lol

• Beautiful, delicious, buttery avocados... my grandmother had an orchard and I was raised with them EVERYWHERE, ALL THE TIME :)

I usually buy 4 when I go shopping and I shop once a week. I might eat two in a day, or one every other day or go a whole week without one.

Have you put avo in a smoothie yet? mmmmmmm......

Listen to your body, everyone is different. When transitioning, eat all you want, eat what you crave. Your body will tell you what is right and wrong.

RE some of the comments above fat is NOT FAT! Cooked fat is carcinogenic, raw fat is what your body needs. I'm not saying it's ok to over indulge on raw fat, I'm saying that cooked fat and raw, vegetable sourced fat are not the same thing to your body. One kills, one builds a healthy body.

• ravinderkravinderk Raw Newbie

Avocado is a well-known source of carotenoids, minerals, phenolics, vitamins, and fatty acids. 

• jacksanjacksan Raw Newbie

A lot of good stuff has been said already. As a few people already mentioned, don't fall prey to the lie that all fats are created equal and that a low fat diet is part of a healthy lifestyle. Crisco, Animal Fats or something like that are NOT the same kind of fats you're getting from eating avocados. Personally, I eat 3-4 avocados per week and have found that it keeps me fuller to reduce snacking cravings.

ClaireT
  • nicoliam Deletednicoliam Deleted Raw Newbie

I think one avocado per day it's ok, but...

humanimal said:

Dont restrict your self. Fat is not bad, fat does not kill, fat is not poison. 

totally agree!

ClaireT
  • Emmac01Emmac01 Raw Newbie

Is there a limit to how many avocados a day you should eat? Would it be okay to eat two? Obviously, I'm new to this and trying to figure things out. I know avocados are a good fat, but I don't want to pork out on them. lol

Hi, I would like to tell you that avocados are an excellent source of good fats. However, due to the higher fat content, weight watchers usually avoid them. There is a lot of misconception about avocados. Avocados do have saturated fats, but they also have healthy fats. However, the good fats and other vital nutrients they contain far outweigh the saturated fat content. To know if avocados are fattening, we need to take a look at the nutrition facts.

One avocado provides 29 grams of fats out of which only four grams are saturated. It provides 45% of the recommended daily intake of fats. An avocado has trace amounts of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats.Avocados have good amounts of monounsaturated fats including oleic and linoleic acid. These fats help regulate cholesterol.

A one-ounce serving of avocado contains 45 calories. This fruit is a good option to add to your weight loss diet. So u need not to worry, you can eat accordindly.

ClaireT
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master
    nicoliam said:

I think one avocado per day it's ok, but...

humanimal said:

Dont restrict your self. Fat is not bad, fat does not kill, fat is not poison. 

totally agree!

I think 1-2 is a good number...and I also agree!

• BlizzardBlizzard Raw Newbie

I am raw vegan since more than 5 years ago. I am eating about two kilograms of avocado each day. Simply because I can't really eat more than two kilos of avocado per day. With this diet, I got down 30 kilos (from 95 to 65) in some two or three months (I was using fasting too - three days of only water/orange juice, every two weeks or so). Unlike cooked food, raw food (including raw avocado) is not going to increase your weight after fasting.

(Raw) Fat is in fact the best source of energy. It is already well known that the scientific community told us lies for some five decades about sugar. The ketogenic diet which was trendy in 2012 is based on fat.

Without avocado, it would have been very hard or even impossible to be raw vegan for so many years. Unlike the rest of the raw food, the avocado actually gives you enough energy to keep you running for 4 or 6 or even 8 hours. If you eat only fruits or salads, you will be hungry every one or two hours.

The raw fat won't increase your weight because it is processed very well and naturally by your body. The surplus is eliminated very easily by your body.

I was getting some 4 kilograms more in the last year (now i'm at some 69 kilograms), but this is about the age and internal changes associated with it and anyways, getting only 4 kilos more in such a long time is actually almost nothing. I can get down that weight very easily any time, I'm not in a hurry. I will do it when I will feel like it's the best moment to do it.

The bottom line is: if you go raw, you can eat as much avocado as your body can accept, without any worries. Those who are overweight or obese will actually get down weight by eating avocado. If you have optimal weight for your height, then there is a slight chance that you can get a bit more weight by eating a lot of avocado (depending on your age and body characteristics), but nothing to worry about.

Raw avocado is the best food. Period.

The big question is if we can keep doing the raw food diet - and the key to that question is to feel comfortable, relaxed and to reduce the stress to the point where our body can feel happy with this diet (the eating appetite depends on stress). That's not easy to achieve and most of the people give up simply because they have too much stress or a chaotic/meaningless life and their body will not resist too much with this diet.

Of course, there are many people trying to convince themselves that they are very comfortable with the raw food diet, but most of them are just pretending to be comfortable. After months or a few years, they give up.

This is my experience and these are my conclusions. I really hope that my input can help.