Raw for Athletes

Hi there,

Question for any elite athletes or very active folks out there - (you know who you are) - I haven't found much on the topic of what to eat raw from people who require large quantities of calories to keep going. Almost all the information out there i have seen on Eating Raw says to limit intake of seeds, nuts and dried fruit. Is this a weight thing or a raw thing? Because after a really hard extended race or ride (I am primarily cyclist and adventure racer), all I really want to do is eat handfuls of either plain nuts or the assorted happy nut concoctions i have devised in my food processor. I know Victoria Boutenko wouldn't approve... :) But after 3 or 4 hours of 85%-95% of max heart rate exertion on the bike, i feel sick to my stomach until i get my hands on dates or nuts - regardless of how much green smoothie i chug.

I'm pretty new to raw, so tell me if this post belongs in a different spot!

Messy

Comments

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

My response will move this topic to the homepage where someone more athletic than I will hopefully respond. In the meantime, you might try an Advanced Search on the site using the phrase raw athlete. You'll get a dozen or so good threads.

I probably would have placed this thread in the "Being Raw" category. There are a number of threads in that area that address the concerns of athletes. You can move it if you like, or not. Since there's not been much activity on this thread so far, I wouldn't leave a shadow copy, if it were me.

Click here and check panes #2 and #3 if you need some tips on using the search features. For help with moving a thread to a new Forum check pane #16. I wouldn't leave a shadow copy, if it were me.

Welcome to Gone Raw,

Brenda

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

There was an old thread on here for athletes. I think it was just called "raw athletes" - it may be a good resource. I know lots of raw distance runners use dates for fuel during runs. Young coconut water is a great natural source of electrolytes, and some people have said they use banana blended with water, but I don't remember if that was before, during or after a workout/run. My biggest piece of advice (whether you're an athlete or not) is to learn to listen to & follow your own body. Eat what you are craving, unless it disagrees with you (at least that's what has worked for me). When I went on a backpacking trip & was getting lots more/different exercise than usual, I craved (& ate) lots more dates, nuts, and dried fruit/nut combo foods than I did when I was in school all day. Celery juice is also great for replacing lost sodium, if you can stand to drink it. :) I think the advice to limit nuts & dried fruits is usually directed toward people eating raw but not losing their extra weight yet.

• Thanks for the advice angie!

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

Nuts and seeds slow down my digestion, so that is why I don't eat a lot. I think that is one of the only reasons not to eat them other than for weight loss. I'd say to go at it! You are exercising much more than the average joe and need your calories.