Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

nori sheets for philo dough in bakalva

can it be done?? i wan a baklava that's crisp and flaky, not crunchy. apples on the mandoline just don't seem to "cut" it.

Comments

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I can't see nori sheets working in a sweet, sticky dessert recipe. They're too salty - and they will probably get soggy/chewy instantly.

• yeah, that crossed my mind- do you think it would make a difference if the nori was toasted?

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I don't know. Toasted nori does tend to hold up better with moist fillings - but I can't get over the flavor issue of salty green food in baklava...

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I'm curious if some sort of fruit leather/thin bread might work, maybe made of cinnamon infused fruits??

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

What about maybe some very thinly spread and dehydrated coconut pulp with a bit of coconut water blended into it? I haven't ever tried anything like that but after seeing the enchilada wrap recipe on this site, I began wondering if you made something similar (much thinner) if it would work.

• I have the perfect solution! Soak flax seeds in water with a 1:2 ratio (flax:water) for about half an hour. Blend like crazy until smooth and fluffy. Spread on non-stick dehydrator sheets and dehydrate. Viola! Flaky pastry sheets just like phyllo!

I used this recipe in my Mushroom Turnovers Come Alive!

Seriously, this is the ideal way to make delicate, crispy pastry with all raw ingredients. Cheap too!