Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

opinions about coconut water

I have a couple of boxes of Vita Coco from before starting the raw transition which I def won't be tossing because they weren't cheap! The only ingredient listed is Natural Coconut Water...nothing else. I went on their website initially to find out what it was about. After reading it seemed like a good product and I bought some. Just wondering what everyone's feelings are about using it with other fruit in a smoothie or what have you.

Also whats the difference between coconut: cream, milk and butter?

Peace & abundance

lo~

Comments

• coconut water's raw. its really good by itself and in smoothies.

coconut water is what directly comes from inside coconuts.

coconut milk is coconut water blended with coconut meat.

coconut butter, also called coconut oil, is an extract from coconut meat that has sometimes has a somewhat butter-like consistency.

• Thanks for that easy explanation. Do you think the vita coco is ok then? The label does not say pasteurized BUT nut companies don't list that as a process on their labels either.

Peace

Lo~

• no problem. hm it's a possibility that it is pasteurized, but i can't tell you for sure. if you have so much of it, though, there's still quite a bit of benefit in the stuff, and isn't worth just throwing away. maybe you could email vita coco and ask about their processing? i know some companies keep their coconut water truly natural and everything.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

I love fresh coconut water. The other night a friend had a carton of coconut water and I tried it and it does not taste like the fresh coconut water. It was ok, and actually I was wondering if they added some sort of sweetener to it because there definitely was a difference in the taste. From what I know, anything in a carton or sealed jar or can has been pasteurized.

My opinion is, go ahead and use it until it's gone, then buy fresh YOUNG coconut for sweet water. Or buy fresh and only use those when you don't have fresh on hand/available. You can freeze fresh coconut water and meat until you need it and it makes great ice cream! :) Using the boxed coconut water as a convenience here and there might be fine unless you are very rigid in your raw food adventure and want to only have the best, which is fresh. :)

You can make coconut milk by juicing the meat in an OLD brown coconut.

• Yeah Ofthesea I def don't want to toss it...too pricey! I did actually speak with a vitacoco rep yesterday and she said it has no added sweetners at all but yes it is is flashed pasteurized to 120 degrees for 2 seconds. I said so it's really not RAW...she said well it does go to 120 for 2 seconds but retains MOST of its nutrients. So who knows...it seems legit but.....

Hi Rawmama...hmmmm a regular brown coconut is rather dry how much "juice" can one actually get from it? I don't have a hi-tech juicer or elite blender/processor. I have my Jack lalaine juicer and a cuisinart blender/processor combo. Funds are limited at the moment so not like I will be investing in more gadgets any time soon. I do have coconut cream from Tropical Taditions...but again purchased before going raw not sure how they processed their items...will have to check into it as well. I do love their all coconut oil soap though ;P

Peace

lo~

• Actually, my understanding is that coconut oil is just the oil extracted from the coconut flesh, whereas coconut butter is the coconut meat pureed sort of like a nut butter.

They are definitely different things. You can get many brands of coconut oil (but be careful, not all are raw) but the only coconut butter I'm aware of is Artisana.

Personally, especially if you aren't 100% yet, I see no problem with drinking the canned stuff.

Coconut water is extremely beneficial and the process you described of flash pasteurization does not seem too bad. I'm sure there is still a lot of goodness and even if not, seeing as there are no additives I really don't see any harm. Plus, it is probably delish so you might as well enjoy it.

Just my two cents.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

I don't know if you'd get much milk from the older coconut meat without having a twin gear juicer or a single auger juicer??? I used to have a Samson (single auger/gear) and it worked beautiful, couldn't believe how much juice it would get from that older coconut meat! Super thick/creamy. I would then combine it with a little bit of the water in the blender if I wanted it more watered down. Love coconuts :)

• I always use the carton coconut water in my smoothies. Many people dehyrate breads at 145 for the first hour before lowering. I often read that keeping things below 118 degrees is keeping it raw. So 120 is pretty close and for only a couple seconds.

I don't always have young coconuts available to me, so I always have those cartons of coconut water in my pantry. I believe there is still nutritional value in it.

• Yea, I have coconut butter and coconut oil in my pantry. They are different items. Oil is just the oil. Butter has meat in it.

• it's definitely pasteurized to prolong shelf life but it's not the worst thing you could drink.

• Wow thanks everyone for all your input. I just drank one of my VitaCocos LOL it is so tasty. They actually taste very close to the stuff I get out of my young thai coconuts from the asian food store BUT with no hassels of peeling that bark like skin, hacking into it and then trying to pick out all the little particulates I knocked in the juice while hacking thru the top LOL.

totally diff subject but I do love a vitacoco mixed with a mango [and some pineapple YUMMY]...I am loving fresh mangoes. There has got to be a way to cut it smoothly as to not waste so much of the fruit by the pitt---I mean I suck on it for a good 10 mins trying not to waste any LOL any suggestions??

Peace

Lo~

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Originally coconut butter and coconut oil were the same thing, but then Artisana came out with their version of coconut butter, which is ground from whole coconut. This caused a lot of confusion. So the terminology is now in flux. More and more people are using the term coconut butter to mean ground coconut made into a butter, while term coconut oil is used to mean oil pressed from coconut.

Here are the versions of coconut butter I'm aware of:

Artisana Coconut Butter

Coconut Creme from cocopura.com

Coconut Spread from wildernessfamilynaturals.com

Coconut Butter from realrawfood.com

Coconut Cream Concentrate from tropicaltraditions.com

Coconut Cream sometimes means coconut butter, but the packaged coconut cream is a different product, and probably not raw. It's kind of like whipping cream. See wildernessfamilynaturals.com.

Coconut milk is made from mature coconut, but a lot of raw fooders like to call blended young coconut pulp and coconut water coconut milk. It's kind of cute, but it's not really true coconut milk. However, you can definitely use it like coconut milk. Also, you can always blend dried coconut with plain water and strain it through a nut mylk bag to make something similar to coconut milk (it's not quite as rich).

Go ahead a use up your Tropical Traditions Coconut Cream. It's not the best quality stuff out there, but I'm sure it's still pretty tasty!

Lastly, check out thenaughtyvegan.com for instructions on how to open a young coconut. LOL.

• Niiiiiice sharing of knowledge there achin70! I love this site...everyone so open and willing to help newbies and the more experienced people alike.

I had purchased the TT coconut cream with their soap in my initial transitioning phase...altho at the time wasn't sure I would be doing this life overhaul but Spirit always speaks softly and sadly I tend to be "selectively" hard of hearing LOL

Peace always!

Lo~

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

that is interesting to know. I think the taste is waaay better fresh from the coconut but I do feel the health benefits from both although more intense from the fresh ones. for me, the price is about similar so I go for the fresh ones. I can get $1 coconuts at the asian market.

i use both the coconut oil and the coconut butter (artisana). I prefer the artisana butter because it tastes yummier but the oil is fine for raw desserts, etc.

• Hi Bitt

Don't get me wrong, I like fresh as well but price wise I got a GREAT DEAL onthe cases of vita coco for LESS from a direct supplier--so I went for it. But I do really enjoy the taste as well. Especially blended with mango or banana & strawberries deeeeeelish! Bsides the asian store that I go to is usually out of the thai young coconuts by the time I get there so my mouth was all set for it and I end up all bummed out LOL

I just ordered a couple of artisana products...coconut oil and the raw tahini. I'm still waiting on my goodies to arrive. I'm all jazzed thinking of the new food adventures I'm going to whip up!! So what's your opinion about Nutiva products...i.e. coconut oil, hemp seeds, etc.. I have my coconut soap from tropical traditions I like but I'm thinking to start using coconut oil as an after moisturizer. [I still use Chandrika soaps as well coz I LOVE the smell].

Ok well enjoy your week!!

Peace

Lo~

• Emmac01Emmac01 Raw Newbie

Hi

I love to have coconut water daily. It has fewer calories and more nutrients than aerated drinks and packaged juices. It is one of the best low-sugar, low-fat drinks to keep you hydrated. Inadequate hydration can lead to constipation and other health issues. So I prefer coconut water instead of packaged juice.
    A cup (240 grams) of coconut water contains 46 calories. It is free of fats but has natural sugars, vitamins, and minerals. Coconut water contains good amounts of calcium, vitamin C, manganese, and potassium.
    The fiber content in coconut water keeps you full for a longer time. It helps prevent short-term food cravings. Drinking coconut water post-workout replenishes lost electrolytes and is a natural sports drink. It works similar to an intravenous solution.

ClaireT
  • Emmac01Emmac01 Raw Newbie

Along with coconut water, coconut milk is also good for health. Coconut milk is a thick, creamy liquid obtained by grating the flesh of a matured coconut fruit. Rich in texture and taste, a cup of fresh coconut milk not only offers deliciousness, but benefits health in many ways as well. Because of the health benefits of coconut milk, it has become widely popular these days. There are ample health benefits of coconut milk. It is abundant in nutrients and is a rich source of fiber. The goodness of coconut milk nutrition can be enjoyed in its natural form, or as a food ingredient. 

Previously I doesn't know about coconut milk, But after reading an article, i got to know about the benefits of coconut milk and would like to try as well.

You can also refer these for the health benefits.

ClaireT
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

I get my coconut milk direct from the coconut. It saves me from having to hunt down information on the company to see if it's actually raw wink 

MyHealingJourney