Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

I'm nixing garlic, onions, salt, herbs, & oils

wow this is going to be tough! I am pretty sure it is going to be hard to make recipes, If anyone has any suggestions for good replacements I would be very very grateful!

Comments

• leahcelesteleahceleste Raw Newbie

Sounds like you are doing a more 80/10/10 approach. I wouldn't worry about recipes if eating this way since by eliminating these items you are going for a more simple strategy which means less ingredients and less preparation time. Find pleasure in eating a whole papaya cut up or drinking green smoothies, or green soups and make yourself delicious platters of greens and cut up fruit and avocado with orange and lemon juice on top.

RawLifer
  • May I ask out of curiosity why you are nixing these various items?

• Hey Stylestacey- are you giving up all herbs, or just dried ones? I feel like fresh green herbs like cilantro and basil are beneficial, but maybe you are trying to avoid them all.

• I have been taking a course called the Raw mini course by Dr.TC fry. In his lessons it explains how all of these items (both dried and fresh) are toxic to the body.

Yes I will be eating much more simply but sometimes it is nice to prepare your old favorites in a new way. I was wondering if anyone out there has embarked on this journey and if they had a few good substitutes is all :)

Cheers,

Stacey

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I wish you luck, I could never do it...especially the herbs! I use them more often in cooking(or uncooking) myself at home and often go for ones that DO have nutritional and medical benefits so the idea of them being toxic seems questionable to me.

RawLifer
  • please go to www.rawfoodexplained.com you will find a few different lessons on why all herbs are toxic.

• okraokra Raw Newbie

hi stylestacey,

i don't eat garlic and onions and don't use a lot of salt.

still do herbs for seasoning but not medical use.

if you are okay with sea weeds and celery, they'll gives you wonderful flavor and saltiness.

specially replacements for garlic and onions, celery works great, celery leaves works like a herbs too.

hope its help.

enjoy your raw meals and thanks for the link!

i'll go take a look tonight!

• I do use celery but no sea vegetables. I have learned that sea vegetables are the oceans filters for its toxins. Also they carry loads of salt in them from the ocean water, so that would defeat my purpose.

To I have learned that the tops of celery stalks are actually quit toxic too, may sound crazy but I have been taking this course from DR TC Fry and you wouldn't believe the amount of vegetables out there that are truly toxic, that we have become so accustomed to using.

I was thinking of dehydrating some celery down until it is in tiny salt like flakes....which I could do with other things too like bananas as a sub for sugar, hmmm gets me thinking???

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

The website does look like it has a lot of interesting info, I'd have to look much more into it before conceding to the toxic effects of so many herbs(ones grown organically, I know many in poor situations will be full of toxins). I do not disbeleive you, lol just being the science minded one that must have backup to any website info from other sources before I'll be able to see it as a valid resource(too many years of science training I guess).

As to dehydrating celery, it is possible to make your own celery salt and I have seen it done before but can't remember on what website. I saw someone else do a fruit dehyrdated and blended down to make their own sweetener. I do not think it was banana but something lke mango mixed with another fruit. You could probaly make your own mix of fruits/veggies to dehydrate and blend into a seasoning mix, I've thought about it to make teas(from citrus peels) but I've only had my dehydrator about a month and haven't played with the idea yet.

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

stylestacey, Thank you, the web site you shared came along at a good time for me. Lately I've been shocked at how strong onions, even green ones have been to my tongue. I have been just cutting them out all together and thinking it was strange because so many raw-ers seem just fine with them. I used to use really hot peppers like Serranos but I have been avoiding those too. Cha,cha,cha,cha...changes.

• I do have more info as to why all of these "food" items are toxic but they are in books I own which I purchased off of the website livingnutrition.com. This is a fruitarian based website which uses a small variety of neutral vegetables lettuce, celery, & cucumbers.

The book I have finished is "The Raw mini-course" by Tc Fry, very good I recommend it, takes raw knowledge to a whole new level. Not only should one be concerned with the amount of enzymes in their food, but the amount of toxins as well. The concept is that food gives energy, toxins are energy depleting (thus creating diseased organs and other such health matters) Delete the toxins from your body and thrive on energy and health!

• okraokra Raw Newbie

i haven't lead everything yet but the web site is great!

i work at a raw food restaurant to avoiding herbs, salt etc......is little difficult but i always love to be creative, new way to eat, to make people happy.

so many things are great to know, may not for everyone but they are make sense to me.

i'll go read more deeply, thanks again!

• Bananna1333Bananna1333 Raw Newbie

There are lots of recipes in the 80/10/10 book that meet your criteria.

• Good to see people on this board eliminating non-people foods. (garlic, onion, spices.) Gourmet raw is raw foodist capitalism.

• T.C. Fry died of a coronary at the age of 70.

I wouldn't follow any of his advice.

In fact, I'm going to go read everything he wrote, and then do the exact opposite of what he suggests.

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

Hey there's worse things then dropping dead at 70. You could always live another decade while your loved ones watch dementia swallow you up. Then there's the never ending med. treatments (ie. line the pharmaceutical pockets) to preserve you, suffering, just as long as possible so your family gets nothing of what you worked your whole life to pass to them. That's to say nothing of the physical and mental price they will have paid.

My sisters and I have agreed if we do what we can to stay disease free and we live a happy productive life and drop dead the day after smiling and laughing with the people we love on our 70th birthday. We just got our wish.

• LindaLBLindaLB Raw Newbie

Good LORD.

Is there anything left to eat that isn't poisonous?

I'm going to become a breatharian.

*headdesk*

ClaireT
  • powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Lol exactly Linda, herbs are very beneficial whether fresh or dried and ive been studying them for a long time. If anyone can find the argument why this guy thinks all herbs are toxic id love to see it.

Herbs have been used in healing aslong as food has, and used properly exert little to no bad effects.

EDIT: Ive just read the article the biggest load of crap ive read in a long time, for a start many herbs are used for their nutritional qualitys nettle leaf is one, alfalfa another etc. Ill disect the rest of that junk later. Infact i dont even know where to start theres so much misinformation.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Yeah, Linda. They're called fruits and vegetables and they taste delicious! :)

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Its funny the same "toxins/alkaloids" hes talking about are contained in lots of the foods that he promotes.

He also doesnt understand the function of cellulose which he says isnt essential to health, but its what feeds our good flora, which as everyone knows is a large part of our immune system.

He recommends artichokes which contain phenolic compounds which have "medicinal" properties so they must be toxins also.

• CeidrenCeidren Raw Superstar

Herbs can have really beneficial effects on the body as medicine; as food they are just more good leafy greens that aren't so heavily cultivated as kale and lettuce (which also have their own toxins, which is why you should eat a wide variety of leafy greens, and not pounds of the same ones every day.) I'll go with my mints, lemon balm, tumeric, leaf-celery (a type of celery cultivated for it's leaves; not toxic) and tai basil any day over iceburg lettuce; they are also vegetables.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

stylestacey, once you stop eating salt, garlic, etc. (particularly salt), it gets easier and easier. After a couple of weeks or so, you'll enjoy your simple foods and won't miss the salt and spices at all.

As Bananna said, The 80/10/10 Diet has a bunch of salt-spice, and condiment free recipes. Also, Frederic Patenaude has Instant Raw Sensations, as well as his low fat raw dvds.

I also have a low fat raw vegan recipe book on my site:

http://www.fitonraw.com/low-fat-raw-vegan-favorites

The important thing is to make sure you are getting enough calories from sweet fruit! If you're doing that, giving up the flavor enhancers will be a breeze. :)

Swayze

• AdnezalAdnezal Raw Intermediate
    I firmly believe that this course is not providing you with sufficient information. Aside from too much salt, the rest of these ingredients are so important for our overall health and immunity. Growing up in Southeastern Europe I can tell you that eating loads of raw Garlic in winter time was a staple of our diet and it kept all of us healthy and the kept the flu away. To this day, this is how I keep germs and influenza away, I have not been sick in over 20 years with either. I also use garlic and onions to regulate blood pressure, it works like a charm. Herbs are imperative for maintenance and daily detox and even emotional balance.
    Even the good salts bring so much to the table, they are packed with minerals; but... should you choose to stay away, then use Vital Earth's Fulvic/Humic trace mineral liquids to supplement; this is an incredible product. 

My understanding is that Dr. TC Fry died fairly young, at age 69, and in very poor health. 
    If you are looking for a good detox and sticking to raw foods I would suggest implemeting the detox side of the Warrior Diet lifestyle. The book Warrior Diet by Ori Hofmekler really changed my perspective on how to not only eat, but Not eat and with that reverse the bilological clock and even regenerate brain cells as well. 
    Visit Gabriel Cousens M.D. or Live Foods Live Bodies by Jay and Linda Kordich for some inspiration and wonderful insight on raw detoxification. 
    Good fortunes to you on your path. 

• RawLiferRawLifer Raw Jr. Leader

Well...whether we all agree on the toxicity of herbs or not...the discussion definitely gets one on study mode.  laughing

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

For once, I'm not sure I want to study it too closlely. If I find out that the fresh mint from my garden is bad for me, I'm not going to be happy. 

• suekosueko Raw Superstar

Intersting that swayze refers to Patenaude who is no longer a raw foodist. IMHO that much fruit (sugar) is a slippery slope. I would tend to go with Adnexal's suggestions especially how to NOT eat (check out Jason Fung, M.D.'s website and blog, has been a big help to me) as intermittent fasting is as much a part of health as eating.