Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Atlanta, GA area Rawbies! Go to Dekalb Farmer's Market! Thai Coconuts $0.99 ea. or $6.50/box of NINE

Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

If you live anywhere in north GA and you've never been to Dekalb Farmer's Market in Decatur GO NOW! They have absolutely the biggest selection of produce I've ever seen (tons of things I've never even heard of, and things I have heard of that I didn't think were available in this country, let alone Atlanta!) for the absolute best prices EVER...cheaper than the co-op, cheaper than Whole Foods (duh), cheaper than freakin' Walmart. They have a nice selection of organics too, usually with no more than a 10 cent price difference.

The most exciting thing was the fact they have young Thai coconuts for 99 cents a piece or $6.50 for a box of NINE! I've never seen them so cheap anywhere ever! It's not a sale or anything, just the regular price!

I hacked them all apart last night and now have a half gallon of fresh coconut water and about 2 and a half pounds of fresh young coconut meat in my fridge. Squee!

Comments

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

Oh this would help http://www.dekalbfarmersmarket.com/ lol

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

WOW i was just near there last week . darn darn darn.

thanks for the info I will keep it in mind if i ever get that way again. I have soooo been wanting some and am not getting home for a while

going to north central arkansas (mountain view) if anyone has any advice on where to get things

thanks

• RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

Isn't this deal a steal?! I was just at the Dekalb Farmers Market a couple of days ago, I saw the deal on coconuts, and I felt like jumping up and down screaming YAHOOO!! right then and there. I somehow managed to contain myself and bought a box (I would have but two if I had room in the fridge). Glad someone is getting the word out. Buy these while you can people in or near the Dekalb area. Great price and all the coconuts from my batch so far have had really sweet water in them and lots of thick white meat. Enjoy! :)

Same here, the water is insanely sweet! I used it instead of plain water in my smoothie this morning and it was like drinking one of those sugary smoothies from Smoothie King or Jamba Juice or something (they put sorbet or froyo in their smoothies), it was crazy.

I think I actually did jump up and go OMG OMG OMG, Rawaholic! I live up in Roswell but the weekly 30-40 minute drive to Decatur is SOOOO worth it. I didn't have room for the one box in the fridge either, but I broke them all down at once and put the meat in one container and the water in another...takes up much less space. I just need to use it all faster!

• The Dekalb Farmers Market is just about my favorite place on earth. I also go to the Gwinnett International farmers Market for durian. Yummmm.

Ooh where's the Gwinnett one?

Dekalb does carry durian, both whole and frozen packaged chunks of the flesh. I actually tried it for the first time a couple weeks ago...it's bizarre! It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be. It tasted EXACTLY like really strong onions in vanilla pudding. Not that I've ever eaten onions in pudding before, nor am I sure why one would, but that's what it tasted like. :p I wouldn't eat it voluntarily again, but I'm glad I actually worked up the guts to try it. The SMELL though! We had to open up every window in the house and turn fans on and everything to get it out!

Dekalb had jackfruit too, which looked a bit like durian but smelled very sweet. Ever try it? I'm curious about it. That and cherimoya and horned melon (both of which they had).

• RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

Oooh, yogi I would LOVE to know where the Gwinnet one is too! Haven't tried jackfruit or durian, sadly. Know that I know Dekalb carries them I hope to get the opportunity! :) What's cherimoya and horned melon? I've never heard of it.

• Ouch! I don't know how to describe how to get there--- it's obviously in Gwinnett co, I'll ask my hubby and he can specifically describe it. They have durian year- round, it seems. It is NOT primarily organic, like YDFM. Worth noting. It's called the Gwinnett International Farmer's Market. It's huge. Again, disclaimer: much much less on the organic side than YDFM.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Branwyn, all I can say is WWWWWOW . . . and thank you so much for sharing this information. I talked a friend into making the 150 mile round trip with me this morning. My first ever young coconut finally yielded to my feeble attempts a few minutes ago and cracked open. The aroma when I broke through that shell was absolutely heavenly. I'm sitting here sipping on . . . well . . . (let's be honest here) . . . more like inhaling . . . this delicious coconut water and wishing I had room for 2 cases instead of one.

There will definitely be more trips to the Dekalb Market, and for more than just coconut. I came back with 3 large reusable bags of fresh produce plus the case of coconuts. I guess my next major purchase needs to be a freezer.

We hit a good bit of construction traffic on I-85 south of Atlanta on the way in, so it took longer to make the trip than anticipated. We got in the market about 11:30, and the place was packed. Has anyone been there earlier on Saturday, like 9 AM when they open? We're curious to know if it's a little less crowded first thing in the morning.

Thanks again, Branwyn.

• Branwyn & Rawaholic,

The Gwinnett International Farmers market is on Shackleford Road in Duluth. The durian was always at the far end of the (massive) produce isle on the left, in a cooler. I haven't been there since May '08, sadly. I strongly suspect it is still as diverse a source of produce as ever though. The prices there are the absolute cheapest in ATL for produce, BUT it is not a place where (to my recollection) "organic and local" are necessarily sought out. It is huge and should def be investigated though. You won't regret checking it out. Your Dekalb Farmers Market is still my favorite. Moved away from Atlanta last year and IS what I miss about ATL. Hope this helps!