Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Eat a Ground Avocado Pit?

germin8germin8 Raw Master

Is anyone eating ground avocado pits?

I just saw this on VitaMix website ...and I'm wondering whose eating them, if anyones tried it, and what they taste like.

http://vitamix.com/household/infocenter/3horsepower.asp

"Raw food enthusiasts enjoy the health benefits of ground avocado pits.

Ground avocado pits are big news for their powerful cancer-preventive properties and many raw food chefs are finding ways to work them into the daily diet. You may not have yet acquired a taste for them, but you can enjoy watching the pits processed a la Vita-Mix right here."

glendah

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

gross!

• Hmmm... I read somewhere recently that there is a poisonous compound, cyanide, I think in the pit, but I can't confirm if that is true. It's supposed to protect the avocado from animals eating it, or something.

• I can only imagine that the pip would break any blender you put it in. Those things are hard.

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

I have heard they have anticancer properties and are good if you have health issues like cancer.

• RawKRawK Raw Newbie

actually, they are not as hard as they look. any high power/speed blender will make quick work of an avocado pit. you can even cut them in half...its pretty cool as the off-white flesh oxidizes quickly. try chewing them...they are very bitter, but are unnoticeable when mixed with fruit in a smoothie...and why not, they are the highest source of soluble fiber on the planet.

no, they do not contain cyanide. i think you are mistaking them with apple seeds. one last tip: don't forget when making guacamole to leave the pit with the mix to prevent much of the browning that happens.

Rawk~

Do you think a kitchen aid blender could do it? We have the glass carafe kitchen aid and it blends kale and nuts seeds smooth in smoothies and totally slushies ice. Should I chop it first?

We bought a Macarthur avocado a couple months ago that was sprouting when we cut into it so we put the seed in h20 and it took off it is now over a foot and in good soil we live in Wa so it is indoors do you know of any good info resources for growing avos?

Thanks

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I thought they'd be bitter. Hmmm. I'm still hesitant.

Thanks all.

vegan2raw, I wouldn't recommend using your kitchen aid blender... unless it has 2+ hp... i.e. a high speed blender. Yikes. As for sprouting your avocado... neat!

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I found the taste to be awful, but didn't try it with fruit. I don't really see the point, for me personally, to mask the taste of something to be able to get it down. I'll pass. ;)

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

Hey at least you tried it. Now I dont have to, lol. You know, 'A wise man learns from the mistakes (I mean, curiosity) of others'... :) JK pixx.

Thanks Germin8 I cant afford to replace it so your probably right!

Yeah we were pretty thrilled at how much it took off we have tried to sprout avo's before and no luck this one had a little tail just when eating it so my hubby joked that it was asking to be grown.

Yeah Pixx I agree you shouldnt try to choke gross things down unless its medically necessary. Besides sometimes you end up wasting a bunch of good things trying to make it work.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

vegan2raw~ Yup!

gratefultobe~ :-P & You're welcome! ;~)

• I found where I saw that-

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_OK_to_eat_an_avocado_pit

take it for what it's worth

• My ex-husband's family is from Ghana West Africa and he would always eat the skin and the pit of the avocado. He also ate the skin of the garlic clove. I never could quite get used to it though.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

The *skin* of an avocado?? Oh, my!! Tough stuff!

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I have to agree with PIxx. I tried it once but without fruit and it was gross, It tasted like wood pulp. Supposedly it is good for you.

• I blended an avocado pit in a green smoothie before (using vitamix), after seeing the blindguru youtube video. It made me felt kinda weird afterwards and I also got a headache, so I haven't tried since.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I too put a quartered avo pit into my Waring Xtreme blender for the added fiber with my green smoothies... Never knew it was there... Wish I used more avo's so I would have the benefit of increased daily fiber intake...

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

rawflamenca - maybe you had too much at once. *guessing*

• Oh wow I too saw that video rawflamenca!! Have you watched some of his other videos?

Have any of you watched that guys videos? He is interesting to say the least!

See there is so much contradicting info out there...tough to know what is the way to go. I know as i get more in tune with my body and actually LISTEN to it, most if not ALL of my questions and concerns will disappear and be answered. It's a journey---I should just sit back and enjoy, but I'm too worried bot what's the next detour LOL

Peace

Lo~

• Greetings, I'm new here and I have to vouch for Avocado Pitts/Seeds. I have been eating seeds since I was a child and always had a strong desire to eat pits of mango and avocado. But they were too bitter. Now, I'm a blending fan rather the a juicing fan; I think if G-d gives us pulp and seeds then they are meant to be eaten. So I looked for a information about blending avocado pitts/seeds and found a video on Youtube: . I have been blending avocado pits and adding fresh fruits, nuts, and sprouted grains in with it ever since! It is good for curing diabetes, high cholesterol, preventing cancer, improving skin, and increasing libido and fertility.

Take a look at this documentary in my Youtube Playlist called, "A World Without Cancer" it goes into the importance of eating Raw seeds in the prevention of cancer. Truly fascinating and easy to put into practice. www.youtube.com/anthropologistcarl (then click on Playlist and find the video).

And G-d said, Behold, I have given you every herb [plant] yielding seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for food. Genesis 1:29

Maranatha

• Hi RawK:

you are right. I put the avocado pit in my dry grain container for the vitamix 5200 super blender. I just blended 2 avocado pits with room tempeture spring water and drank it . I have also heard of raw foodist mixing it in fruit smoothies. I will try that next. Since my stomach becomes easily irritated, I found that drinking 2 avocado pits actually soothe my stomach. It is actually better than papaya. Thank You:))

• glendahglendah Raw Newbie
    I add 1 whole seed or 4 Tbls of powder to my daily 24oz smoothie that I drink through out the day. It adds just a little bitter taste to it that I have become accustomed to. Using the seed has dramatically dropped my blood sugar levels.
    Harmony1
  • Harmony1Harmony1 Raw Superstar

I may have just reached the limits of my bravery. What do you use to pulverize the things? 

• debracdebrac Raw Newbie

Yes, I do it all the time. You don't taste it as long as you have other ingredients in the smoothie.