Storm and Jinjee's movie - Breakthrough

Has anyone seen this?

Reading stuff about it on their website ( http://www.breakthroughthedocumentary.com ) makes me want to get it...but I figured I'd ask to see if people had an opinion about it.

Comments

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I haven't seen it but I'm a big fan of theirs. There is a lot of detail and insight about their lives on their various websites. (Though not updated frequently - the kids are much older than the "recent photos!")

Storm has some "rants" on YouTube that are totally worth watching.

• I have it. I wouldn't call it a polished production, but it's quite interesting. I got several of their e-books too. I like their emphasis on eating real food, as opposed to supplements, powders, etc. I also like the fact that they do not have a dehydrator (I don't have one either and have no intention of getting one). Storm thinks that eating a lot of dehydrated food, well, makes you dehydrated. He thinks that eating actual raw fruits and vegetables gives you the benefits of all the water that they contain. I happen to agree. They have some good recipes too--simple ones that don't take boatloads of time to prepare. I use them all the time.

I also *really* like the family's emphasis on exercise. Storm and Jinjee look the way they do in great part because exercise is a key ingredient in their daily lives.

Totally agree with Suasoria's comments on Storm's YouTube rants!!

Of all the raw food 'gurus' out there, Storm and Jinjee are about at the top of my list. I guess their ethos lines up very well with mine.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

RawLibrarian

Do you have a favorite of Storm and Jingee's recipe ebooks which you would recommend? I would like to sample a bit before deciding to order the set of 12. I am a family of one.

• The Garden Diet e-book is my favorite. As well as the raw recipes, it also includes some transition recipes (for those who are still eating cooked food--good info for newbies).

This e-book is NOT a polished production, and I think it could use quite a bit of editorial help (grammar and typos). However, the info in it is sound, and I really do like the emphasis on *food* rather than supplements. (Note: Storm and Jinjee use raw honey. You can substitute agave or any other sweetener, like yacon.)

These aren't sophisticated recipes, either, but they are the kind of thing that you would make on a daily basis. At least, the kind of things that I make on a daily basis--I mean, what with a full-time job, a husband, pets, and an exercise program, I don't have time or energy to prepare gourmet raw meals.

If you already know a whole lot about raw food, I don't know that you'd learn anything new. I stumbled upon their website really, really early in my raw journey and I'm glad I did. I find their story inspiring--I'm in my early 50s myself, and I think Storm is a real role model on how to age well.

RawLibrarian, thanks for your comments. I've found that they are virtually unknown even in the raw world, and largely underappreciated. I wish they were more well known, but I guess they like a quiet life!

I also found his "aging diet" of mainly fruit juice to be really interesting:

http://www.thegardendiet.com/storm2.html

• Suasoria,

I agree--Storm and Jinjee are a bit under the radar. I don't know whether they go to Raw Spirit Fest and other such gatherings, or whether they prefer to keep a low profile. I do know they are in the midst of a project to create a raw vegan community in Ojai, California, where they live. I would also imagine that home-schooling their kids, which is what they do, keeps them quite busy.

Storm is in his late 50s and looks terrific. Jinjee has had, what, 5 kids, and she looks great. What they are doing really works, and I admire them a lot for keeping it simple--organic living foods that are easy to prepare, and lots of exercise.

One of the things I really appreciate about them is that they are not selling supplements, superfoods, etc. on their website--just things (DVDs, CDs and e-books) that they create themselves. To me at least, it is rather disappointing to see how many raw food teachers/gurus/entrepreneurs seem to emphasize selling and ingesting expensive processed stuff (superfoods, etc.) over the actual living food itself.

• Hee hee! You're right.

Storm and Jinjee do not have a publishing company or production company behind them like so many others, and because of that, their productions lack polish. However, I really do like them. They were among the very first raw teachers I stumbled across, and I was quite relieved to find that buying expensive equipment and products wasn't necessary. Which makes me sound cheap ... I do have a high speed blender, but don't see the need for lots of other accoutrements. I might if I made gourmet raw (a la Raw Food Real World) but frankly, I'd rather go out for raw gourmet than make it myself--too time consuming and I would just as soon leave that kind of food prep to the professionals.

Glad you like Storm and Jinjee too!

Agree wholeheartedly. Apparently they're so under the radar, only you and I are willing to keep this thread alive!