Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

The Mysterious Nori

So, is there a trick to rolling with raw untoasted nori? Every time I load it up with carrots, avo, etc, and star to roll...it crumbles!! Do you soak it with water? Help! I need my raw veggie "sushi"! thanks!

Comments

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

hi

all I can think is maybe it is stale

I have never had a problem rolling the nori even into thin pencil size rolls I only use raw nori and have had it in my pantry for months without it ever becoming crumbly is there a use by date?

• if you get it a little bit wet it becomes a lot more pliable.

• susan121susan121 Raw Newbie

YES, definitely use some water!! Just turn the faucet on and let the water run quickly over both sides of the sheet. Make sure you are going to use it ASAP though after you wet it because the longer you let it sit the harder it is to manipulate. :)

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I think it's stale too, because I don't have this problem. Once it becomes wet it's very soggy/chewy and I find it hard to choke down, personally. With some pates and fillings, it's unavoidable that the nori gets damp, but many restaurants lay down the nori and then a lettuce leaf to keep the fillings from making it too soggy.

• I know how you feel rolling julienned vegetables and usually they are dry. "Sushi" rolls use sticky rice that binds to the nori sheets before rolling it with the fillings. It's a bit of a challenge with raw vegetables.

Use some type of binder i.e. shitaki mushrooms with dressing or collard green leaves as support for the nori. Make sure to remove the hard stem off the leaf before using it.

You can lay out collard greens on top of the nori and add your raw vegetables then roll. The collard acts as support for the nori so it won't fall apart.

Another idea is rice paper, that will require some water for moist then roll. Use collard green for rolling so it will hold the veggies. An alternative to the Vietnamese spring rolls. Compliment with raw Thai nut dressing as dip.

Hope that helps.