Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Runners or ones with Hip Brusitis

Firstly I apologize if theres already a thread designated to runners but I searched and couldnt find one.

I recently got diagnosed with Hip Brusitis and its pretty much hell. I cant go running or really let alone walking. Its only been about 2 weeks but I am still in pain and am unsure how to handle the situation. I see a doctor again at the end of this week but what I am looking for are people who have it and living with it. I dont know what I'll do if I'm unable to run again. It is my sanity and my only release. I am not a heavy runner. I like 4-5 miles 5-6 days a week. I was going to start training for a marathon but that got cut short due to this.

Any information and advice would be appreciated.

Also...if you are a runner...what are your ailments and how do you run with them? Runners knee ect...

Comments

• Dumb question but did you ramp up your miles slowly? Even if your cardio system says you can keep going, I've heard it's best to ramp it up slowly anyway to let your joints and stuff build up a tolerance. Look up the "couch to 5k" program for an idea of how slowly to ramp up. (I know you're already past that though). I did that program starting back in September and had no problems at all and I run on concrete. Since completing it, I now still just run 30min 3x/week. I lift weights on the off days.

The other thing is stretching. I'm not sure exactly what hip brusitis is, is that pain where the hip meets the groin? Or is it on the outside of the hip? I discovered these stretches (link below), I do them lightly before running, and slightly more intensely afterwards, but nothing crazy I only hold them for a few seconds. But they seem pretty sweet for the things which support the knee, and some of them address that groin/hip area, particularly the hip flexor stretch. I think these have helped me avert pain:

http://www.neuro-ortho.org/pdf-files/Runners-Rescue.pdf

Another thing is shoes: I guess they're only good for about 300 miles before needing to be replaced.

My issue now is sort of with some spine creakiness/compression. I want to start doing some yoga which hopefully will help.

Sorry if you knew all this already.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

my dad had knee bursitis and he can run again. he rested it up for a few months. i recommend avoiding running on concrete. it surely isn't entirely natural and it's much harder on the knees than running on grass/ a track. i dont think anybody would claim that humans have evolved already to running on concrete ;)

you'll be ok. a raw diet is great because it will decrease your inflammation.

• I hope you are feeling better! I am not sure what exactly is entailed in hip brusitis, but I run 3-6 miles, 4-5 days a week on a treadmill and I have had lots of hip pains. I have attributed most off mine to not properly stretching, and actually today is my first day back at yoga to try and combat that. I have read everything from not properly maintaining back and core muscles that can cause pains to obviously, not eating the right foods or hydrating properly. And to throw this out there, you should look into The Thrive Diet by Brendan Brazier (a Canadian Iron-Man Triathlete) and I think you can find it on amazon.com. His entire book explains how a vegan and raw diet is super important for athletes and how your body processes different foods and when to eat. It's really helped me out a lot with my training and I have noticed more sustained energy simply from switching my water for a simple carb smoothie while running! I hope that helps!

• I'm a full time Pilates instructor. I am currently working with a client that has brusitis in her hip. She actually discovered it because her knees started hurting her so badly. She went to the Ortho Dr. and he found that she had brusitis in her hip and her knees had been "trying" to help her avoid the pain that was in her hip. The Dr. said that it was okay, and encourged to stretch her hip but not to do repetitive motion type excercise...(running...tread mill, etc.) until the inflammation in the hip goes away. It has been two months...we have continued to workout but have limited her lower body and legs to stretches, prone glute work, figure 4 stretches, assisted hip/leg stretches, etc. At the 1 month mark we added reformer leg circles series on a lighter spring. We have continued to do arm, ab and side flexion work. Find a "good" pilates studio with well trained instructors that have completed an apprenticeship and can work you out on the reformer and cadillac. Good Luck, be patient and pay attention to your bodies needs! You might find other ways that you like to keep your body healthy!

• I used to have similiar problems when I ran alot as well when I trained for a marathon. Make sure you rotate your shoes. If you run everyday the shoes need time to reform shape otherwise your feet, knees and hips could hurt. After I started rotating my shoes it got better. Also get fitted properly by a running shoe store they will tell you which shoes are best based on your stride and type of running you do.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I'm also a runner and after running 3 miles a day 7 days a week for a couple months I noticed my knees started really hurting. I decided to start barefoot training and haven't had any pain yet.....except when my feet were getting used to running with no shoes. It's revolutionary! It doesn't jolt the joints at all and builds new and different muscles around the knees, calve and abs. I highly recommend it. Although I'd research it first.

• troubles- where do you do your barefoot running?

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

I am curious as well about this barefoot running. I still believe I need a little recover time BUT this sounds interesting. Where do you do your running? Do you have to worry about injuries or such?