What to do with these ingredients?

germin8germin8 Raw Master

I drove over an hour to Roots Market in MD (I’m from NVA) just to buy red miso and umeboshi paste. Although not raw, I’ve seen these in ingredients in the raw recipes (not together). Can someone recommend what to do with these? How to use them? Thanks!

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Renee Underkoffler’s book Living Cuisine is full of those two ingredients. She uses the miso in pesto, soup and sauces, and the umboshi paste in sushi sauce. Before I knew miso wasn’t raw I used to make miso soup. Take warm water, add couple of spoons of miso, and some tiny sliced spring (green) onion, and again before I realised it was not raw, I’d put a dash of Nama Shoyu in it. It was great.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

I love ume plums, especially in herb encrusted mushroom steak. I bet you could replace the paste for the plums.

With the miso, you can make a quick gravy (half cup chickpea miso and half cup water whisked with some seasoning, such as drop of cumin or pepper or chopped mushrooms) that goes well with dishes like parsnip pine-nut whip. I wonder if the red miso would work the same?

• devittlesdevittles Raw Newbie

use miso any time you need a salty or cheesy taste to your foods. it is full living cultures (like yogurt)

mix a tablespoon of miso w/nutritional yeast flakes and almonds in a food processor to make a delicious grated cheeze

use umeboshi paste, plums or vinegar whenever you want a little tang.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I do have Renee’s book! I haven’t referenced it in a while… I keep buying new raw books, but I think my raw library is complete (for now).

The parsnip-pine-nut dip and looks delicious. My husband would love the herb encrusted mushroom steak; I think I will try that one first.

And, thanks devittles… that gives me an idea of how to use these ingredients. They’ve been sitting in my fridge for some time… and I didn’t know how to use them. I didn’t even know what flavor to expect until now.

Yum, can’t wait to try the dishes w/ miso & umeboshi.

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

Hi Germin8, Ani Phyo has an amazing avocado soup with miso.Hope you like it as much as I do.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRA4EtLaGos

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Thanks Lucy. I have Ani’s book too!

I bought a tub of red miso; I feel like I need to eat it before it goes “bad”. These next weeks, raw meals will be all about miso and umeboshi sauce… starting Friday. I cycled 11 miles to work today, so I may not get to the grocery store until Friday.

I saw a miso BBQ sauce in Renee’s book too!

So much to try… thanks all.