Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Easter - What Are You Planning to Eat?

Hi Everyone!

The Easter Weekend is upon us and I was wondering what you are planning to eat when you are gathered with family and friends. During holidays it is wasy to fall back into old habits, especially when food is such a huge component of celebrations. This is a time especially when we think about the role of food in our relationships.

My Mom has fully embraced my decision (during my previous attempts at raw she was quite resistant; for some reason this time everything is falling into place - being raw is 1000 times easier for me). Mom is making a cabbage salad and a greek salad (no cheese for me). I am going to bring some of my raw "specailty items" home including agave nectar, raw cashews, and cacao powder. I am also going to bring home some veggies I don't want ot go bad.

While everyone is eating what they choose to eat, I am going to enjoy (and share) my own food, but I plan on making my loved ones the focus; not the food.

I am planning on having salds, a green smoothie, and maybe I will make a dessert to share (not sure yet what to make).

What are your plans?

Comments

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Well, I'm not 100% so when I go home to my folks I tend to have fruit for breakfast, salad for lunch and then eat a small cooked (veggie) meal with the family. As I'm only going back for a couple of days it's not that bad but my mum does tend to keep offering me lots of baked treats which I have to decline. She knows I eat raw but can't seem to get her head around it. (My mum offers me coffee even though I have never in my life had it, so there is no hope of her not offering me SAD food!!) I have already had to tell my mum not to buy me an easter egg but she probably will anyway! My non raw BF will enjoy it I'm sure. :-)

Last time I went home, I took a raw carrot cake which I'd made and everyone tried some which was nice.

I love the cinnamon buns on this site so may make a batch to take back with me. Actually there is also a great apple pie dish I could do too. So many lovely desserts on this site...I can never decide!

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

My husband and I are traveling to Western Mass from Vermont this saturday for a family gathering. My husband and I are not religious in the conventional sense, but it's a nice excuse to visit with family :-)

Because of our passion for animal rights, the meal will be vegan (I didn't demand this btw, it was an offered suggestion that was happily accepted). One family member is very happy to make a vegan veggie cooked lasanga. She even asked what brands of vegan cheese to buy.

I'm making and bringing down some raw food:

1) A rich cheddar sauce served over marinated and dehydrated broccoli and red peppers.

2)I'm going to also make a salad dressing. Haven't decided between Snowdrop's famous ranch dressing or Carmella's Dill-icious dressing. I'll bring down some greens and grated carrots in a separate container

3)For Dessert I'm going to make my very own Orange and Vanilla Creamsicle Custard cake and take that down in a special cooler I bought for the occasion. I'll make it on Friday night and stick it in the freezer. Just before we leave, I'll take it out of the freezer and leave it in the springform pan. I have some cold packs for the cooler since it's a 2.5+ hour drive. So when we get there, I should be able to take the sides of the springform pan off without problems. This will be the first time transporting a frozen dessert like this.

Happy holidays!

Joyce

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i don't think i'm making anything special... maybe a dessert if i feel like it. we are only having a small family get-together so nobody will care what i eat anyways.

• Joyce - I just checked out your blog. It looks wonderful and you make so many beautiful things! I will be reading it from the beginning when I have time!

Thanks for the kind words sunrise! :-) I have so much fun making all this lovely raw food. So many inspiring raw chefs and raw books out there. I'm so thankful for that!

Did anyone share their raw foods at any holiday dinners this weekend? I brought down a bunch of raw food and everyone loved the cheddar and broccoli, dill salad dressing and the orange creamsicle cake. I was delighted at how much everyone wanted seconds and even thirds!! The cake was the biggest hit. Sharing raw vegan foods and seeing the smiles makes it all worthwhile. I just posted all the details and photos on my blog. It starts out with a goose named who Yvette we are sponsoring on the Farm Sanctuary :-)

Cheers!

Joyce

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Hi Joyce, I shared the apple cobbler I made with my whole family yesterday and it went down very well. Was really nice to be able to share some raw food with them. I made such a big batch that there is some left over which I'll polish off tomorrow no doubt!

PS. I've just had a quick look at your blog too and agree with sunrise - all your food looks amazing!

sv3 - raw apple cobbler sounds so good! I made a raw cobbler from a great recipe on the Rawtable website. I think it used to be posted here too! It is a wonderful recipe. I took it down to a Thanksgiving dinner one year and everyone loved it. Lucky you to have some leftovers :-)

Glad you like the blog :-)

Joyce

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

this being my first raw holiday i didnt know how i would handel it.

but i ended up making a big raw salad with a yummy balsamic dressing, and my whole family ended up eating salad too!! :)

i brought 85% chocolate with me so i had a few suqares of that and i managed to avoid the SAD desserts all together.

all in all i was very pleased and ive already been asked to bring another salad for memorial day!