gardening/ juicing/ squash

I was just wondering what are the best (easiest?) things to put in a garden to reduce the cost of the raw foods diet over the summer. I will grow greens, and carrots for carrot juice, but has anyone juiced winter squash? It is easy to grow and to store raw. Just wondering if it is a good idea to grow a lot of it if I haven't tried juicing it. I'd imagine it would be something like a sweet potato.

Comments

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Since winter squashes don't have a high water content, I'm not sure you'd get a lot of juice out of them.

Squashes take a lot of space in the garden, so that's something to keep in mind too.

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I haven't juiced winter squash(then again even cooked before I wasn't a huge fan) but summer squash has much more water and is good in juice. How about cucumbers? Would you have room for them, they are great in juice!

• winter squash isnt the best for juicing but it does make some pretty great recipes, not sure you would want to grow a ton of it if youre not a huge fan, though

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

Beets are great for juicing, easy to grow, store pretty well, don't need alot of space and you can eat the tops too. I grow everything, including winter squash. It'll produce a small amount of juice, but seems like a waste if you don't use the pulp. But, they are delicious blended into soup or spiralized or grated. I have had good luck with kale and collards too and tomatoes, of course.