Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Is Himalayan sea salt really better?

Hey guys. Was wondering... is Himalayan sea salt really more beneficial than regular sea salt?

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Himalayan Salt has no added chemicals or whitening and non clumping agents that table salt contains... The Himalayan Mountain tops, where the salt is harvested, was under the Ocean millions of years ago so there is NO Industrial pollution in the salt.. All in all I believe Himalayan Salt is the best choice... Sea salt is my second choice but it does contain some industrial pollution which I try to avoid...

Hope this helps... smile

• Thanks Waterbaby! It's just so expensive...

Emtpdmom, what does "Bump" mean?

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Your question had not been answered. I just "bumped" it over to the home page so people would see the question and answer. Currently, initial postings do NOT appear on the homepage. A thread moves to the homepage when someone responds . . . an upgrade glitch of which our proud new parents, Ray and Kandace, are aware, and will probably fix in the near future.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I'm sure it still has a dehydrating effect, but if you want to use some type of added sodium that's not in a vegetable or fruit, I think Himalayan is the best way to go.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

BTW, when you are comparing prices or calling something "expensive, " I assume you are making a comparison to the inferior product, the iodized sea salt commonly sold? I don't think that can possibly compare with the Himalayan pure pink salt....My pink salt almost tastes sweet (but not quite, since it's still a little salty. :p). I love it.

• If you feel you must use salt, pink sea salt is known to be the best.

However...

We don't needed added salt. We should be getting out sodium naturally through our foods.

Superfood2: You are right about the dehydrating effect. I have experienced this even with pink sea salt and "real salt" ... I know many others have too.

One of the purposes of raw is to obtain balance. Nutritional balance can be acheived through whole raw foods. My thoughts: We shouldn't have to add a bunch of stuff on together or on top to flavor which only distracts away from natural tastes in their natural state. Salt alters tastes, therefore the food is being altered. If you are craving salt your body is giving you a signal that there is some kind of imbalance... and that balance can't be found in a jar of pink sea salt.

• Thanks guys. I appreciate your feedback.

Also, Emtpdmom , thanks for the explanation "and" the bump.

Your dog is precious. Looks a bit like one of mine. :)

Jminar777 -- You're most welcome. Trooper says thanks for the compliment. If I ever get a decent camera, I'll post a better picture of him. That pic was taken with my cellphone. He's already been trimmed for the summer, (I just can't do the shedding thing in the summer time) so he's really cute right now . . . with his ears sticking out he looks a bit like Yoda. He's really a sweetheart with personality plus. Do you have long-haired chihuahuas?

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Actually I've read many natural/holistic medical opinions that advise a tablespoon or so of a natural salt for sodium and other minerals, which can be hard to get elsewhere in your diet. Like fats, there are good salts and bad salts.

Good salt has no anti-caking agents, no chemical cleaners or other ingredients. Himalayan pink salt has calcium, magnesium, potassium, copper, and iron (that's how it gets the pink color), and dozens of other minerals. Like Waterbaby said, pink salt is just fossilized, dried-up marine water from about 200 million years ago. It is found in layers sometimes several feet thick, mined by the locals, and sold to us health freaks by them. Win-win.

Unfortunately regular sea salt is no longer an option as far as I'm concerned since the world's waterways have become so polluted.

• I have a chocolate lab, a shepherd/lab mix and a little orange mutt who was found in a box on the side of a road in Los Angeles. All rescues.

Isaiah, the little orange one who looks like your Trooper, is so mixed that we have no clue what he is! He's very cute, a little funny looking, and extremely intelligent. He's about 35 pounds... bigger than a chihauha with a longer body and long skinny, chicken-like legs. :) But he has a great smile and is soooo handsome in his own way. :)

Trooper is a rescue as well. The breeder didn't sell him, and by the time he was 5 months hadn't really socialized him. He had been held very little, and was quite a mess . . . has a legitimate clinically diagnosed personality disorder. He's come a long way, and is really a sweetie.

• Yeah, same with Isaiah. He has really bad separation anxiety. Before I realized that it was necessary to get him a crate when we ran to the store, we tried to make him a little place in the bathroom ( w/his bed, dish, toys) and he ate through the drywall of the bathroom wall. He also would pull the carpet from the floor when we were gone, etc. Now he's better with his crate, but recently he hopped it across the kitchen while we were gone and cut up his nose while doing so. It's not like we're gone for long periods of time either. He just throws fits when we're away. And when we get back, he "talks" very loudly (talking and crying at the same time, really) for about five minutes before he can settle down.

Trooper also has separation anxiety, chewed through a door, etc. If you'd like to discuss SA, we can start another thread instead of hijacking this one. I've had much success with some natural solutions to the problem.

• Could someone please explain "salt" to me? I thought salt was NaCl (sodium chloride). So how could regular salt (non-iodized, no preservatives) salt, like kosher pickling salt which is just plain NaCl, be any worse for you than NaCl which is harvested from the sea or the mountains? I REALLY don't get it, so what am I missing? (I so confused!) :-{

See reply #2 above.