Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Green Smoothie Feast - Anyone Want to Join Me?

Hi,

I've had an unhealthy couple of weeks food-wise and want to recommit. I decided to embark on a green smoothie feast, having only green smoothies, fruit smoothies, nut mylks (occassionally) and fresh juice and water. Does anyone want to join me?

Tomorrow is day one for me. I am going to do it for at least two weeks.

Today I weigh 154.

Comments

• Riight...okay. I am startiing today with the exception of a couple of coffees. I am suffering from a pretty bad cold, but now is as good a time as any. I am sipping on a spinach, frozen peach and water smoothie right now.

I'll record my experience in this thread. I am going to try to do it up until May 15th (my Mom is coming to visit so I'll break my fast then and eat salads, etc.)

Here it goes!

• I would def. like to join you :-) I can start tomorrow, since i have no smootie today at work... However- im totally lacking in the "green" smootie dept, so if you want to share some recipes that would be great!!

• Hey Lobo,

Thanks for joining - this should be fun! I will officially start tomorrow too (no coffee - I didn't enjoy the one I just had anyway!). It will be great to share thoughts and experiences.

General rule of thumb for green smoothies is 40% fruit, 60% greens and water. I find that starting out, the simpler the better. Spinach tastes mild and gpes well with practically any fruit. As your tastebuds chanfe, you'll probably start craving more "rich greens". Kale is great too. Use banana when you want to thicken and sweeten and rotate your greens often.

If you have a cheaper blender I find it best to blend your fruit and water first and then blend greens for a smoother texture. There are tonnes of green smoothie recipes on the Internet; but here is a really good starter list from rawfoodtalk. http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/showpost.php?p=438347

What are your goals for doing a green smoothie feast? Mine are: increased energy, weight loss, and I think it will make it easier to stay raw (when I return to solid raw foods),

Looking forward to tomorrow!

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I'm really intrigued about trying a smoothie feast but just wondered if you'd done one before and if so, how did you feel whilst doing it and how long did you do it for? I like the idea but am the kind of person who has to eat very regularly otherwise I become faint and fear that if I didn't bring enough smoothie with me to work, it'd all go pear shaped! (I can just imagine the stick I'll get from my work mates/BF for doing this!)

Any experiences/advice you can share would be great.

• I would like to join you, but I will not start until May 2nd. I will commit to two weeks and log my progress or lack there of here.

• Hi sunrise!

I'm finishing up a 5-day juice fast tomorrow and then I'm going to eat normally (fruits, salads, etc) for a little but I might join you the week of May 15th (starting the 10th). I looooove green smoothies, I feel like that's my main staple food(?) anyway. Good luck till then :)

• I have not done a smootie fast yet, and have been interested in doing one, with the side effect of Zero motivation. But i think i may have a better chance of doing at least a few days if i have someone else to talk to while doing it!. I do want weight loss, but i really need more energy. That is my main goal.

Thanks, and i am too!!!

• Scratch previous waffling. I'm in hell or high water - have to stop messing with my health. Had soup and am bloated and miserable!

• I've heard that fasting is actually a good thing to do when you have a cold. I mean I totally would understand if you didn't want to fast while you're sick, I would probably reconsider too. But the sickness I guess is considered a "toxin" to flush out by the fast and smoothies (especially green) can still be full of healthy calories, fats and vitamins so that you don't feel deprived. I'm totally not saying you should not do a smoothie fast if you don't feel up to it, I'm just more curious myself if anyone knows anything about fasting while sick and if it's beneficial?

• Yes, great question! Maybe it is a good tiem to do it when one is already flushing out toxins!

• Just made three smoothies for tomorrow at work:

frozen peaches, kale, two bananas and water

sunflower sprouts, grapes and the remaining of the above in my blender after I filled thermos #1

green lettuce, one avocado, three apples and water

I work near a place that sells fresh juice so with the above, fresh juice and water I should be okay. Plus, if I have time, I will make a fruit smoothie in the morning before I leave for work!

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Hey, I'm starting a green smoothie feast today and plan on doing it for a long time. Just thought I'd bring up this thread and see if anyone wants to join in!

• RawKarateGirlRawKarateGirl Raw Newbie

I would! I really fell of the wagon and need to get back on becasue I am sick of cooked foods and my bodys craving raw foods.. I"ll try it for a week and see how I do.

Yay! Join in!

I've had around 50oz of green smoothiness today and it feels soooo good!

Okay, feeling the detox today a bit but not bad. I had over 100oz of green smoothie yesterday and it felt amazing. I had so much energy and I slept like a baby. Today I noticed the small patch of eczema on my hand has diminished. I love raw food and how much it does for me!

• RawKarateGirlRawKarateGirl Raw Newbie

Ok. I could not start when you guys all did but today I am going to start!!

• Awesome!!! Love to have a buddy. Today is day 1 for me as well.

yAY! Everyone join in. I've been feasting and feasting and it's really yummy.......my one problem is that I think I need more fat in my diet since my bowel movements have been drier than usual(sorry for tmi)....any suggestions?

• Hi,

Have you been adding avocadoes to your smoothies? That would up the fat intake...

I haven't! I love avocados but I always want to eat them plain! I feel like putting them in a smoothie would be a sad waste......but I guess it wouldn't be if I need it! haha

• rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

I would like to join the crowd, but I am not sure how I could bring the smoothies to work. Is my understanding that contact with air make foods to loose their vitamins, and oxidize, which is a problem when your smoothie is sitting until lunch. Any advice?

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

When preparing a smoothie to take to work, I immediately pour my fresh smoothie in a glass bottle (Arizona green tea) that has a narrow neck. I fill it almost all the way to the top and seal it. I have the luxury of a small fridge next to my desk at work, so refrigeration is not an issue. If I'm traveling, I take a small cooler. Victoria Boutenko says when refrigerated, they will keep for 2 to 3 days. http://www.greensmoothierevolution.com/gsfaq.htm

You could also use mason jars and vacuum seal them before putting in the fridge.

PS: I don't drink the Arizona tea. A neighbor does. I just recycle her glass bottles.

I make my smoothies at work. I have a hand blender and I keep spinach in the fridge in the break room and some strawberries in the freezer. I bring whatever other fruit I want in my smoothie with me(bananas, apples, mangos etc) and when I want a smoothie I just whip one up! I might be lucky because my mom bought me an amazing hand blender for Christmas last year.

• Hey Troub- Wow that sounds like a great set-up at work. I'd like to know more about your hand blender- is it fairly quiet? Does it handle spinach OK (and other greens)? What brand is it? Thanks!

It's a Cuisinart Smart Stick and it handles greens great. It's really powerful and not loud at all. I love it. It comes with a cup to do smoothies and stuff in but I use my juicers little pitcher because it's bigger . I highly recommend it!

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Hey troubles, I'm very tempted by one of those hand blenders! Sound ideal for travelling too. Will put it on my appliance wish list!

• rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

OK then, I will give it a try. Thank you everybody for your ideas about how to transport/prepare smoothies to/at work. I will start today! or better said what is left of the day, I already had a mango for breakfast...

I have one more question. Do you guys get hungry often? I have green smoothies almost every morning, but I start to get hungry again a half hour later. I am wondering how much I have to prepare for the day so I have enough to drink during the day.

How much would you say you need to drink per day?

I've been drinking at least 100 oz and I use tons of bananas, mangos and heavy greens like collard and turnip greens as well as ridiculous amounts of spinach(since I grow it in my garden) when I feel hungry I just make a smoothie! A BIG one.

• I'm starting a green smoothie feast either tomorrow or Friday. I'm going to try to limit the fruit at first because of some candida issues. I really want to do a long term feast, or at least until my summer vacation trip :).

yay! Welcome to the club!