juicing lemons

well i just wanted to know about lemons I was makeing the chewy lemon cookies today and wondered if i could run the lemons through the juicer I have just a juicer from the supercenter nothing fancy but works well for now can i do that or not?

Comments

• You can’t put the lemon through a juicer like you would say a carrot or an apple. The lemon has a bitter skin between the segments, You have to squeese the lemon or use a lemon juicer. Same thing with oranges and grapefruits. I would love a lemon cookie at the moment, Yummy :) KJ

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

According to the juiceman and other raw food and juicing books that we have, lemons and limes, whenever juiced thru a juicing machine, should be juiced whole, including the outside, pith and inside. The pithy part is where most of the valuable nutrients are in the citrus fruits. BUT Oranges and grapefruits should have the outside coloring removed (just the thin coloring), but definitely juice the white pithy part. David Wolfe, a well known raw foodist, said that he’d eat the pithy part and throw away the rest if he had to because the nutrients lie in the white part between the inside fruit and outside color. You can also juice the outside of watermelons, pineapples, and cantaloupes to make the juices more like nectar and far more nutrient rich :) You should be able to run lemons and limes thru your juicer from teh supercenter, our first juicer was a very inexpensive one, and I raw lots of things thru it…

However, about recipes, for a lot of recipes, we personally do what kjdelicious says, only juice it with a hand juicer or squeeze the juice out of it, so the lemon juice isn’t as “strong” tasting, plus it’s less cleanup to just squeeze out the juice hee-hee ;)

• thanks ya’ll, I just bought a lemon juicer, and am ready to start squeezin. got onion bread in the dehydrator right now but in a few days i will start some more lemon macaroons, darn those were good, i have been tryin to think of another flavor for macaroons just to be creative. cause they turned out so good. thanks spankysraw (trying to be raw anyway)