Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Does the vita-mix heat foods too easily?

Hey guys,

so I'm really on the fence as to buying a vita-mix 5200 or a blendtec. One of the supposed-pros of the VM is being able to make hot soups. I'm wondering, though, if the VM heats things up too quickly, presenting a problem with keeping foods raw. Like with raw nut butter for example, this takes a little time to make and I'm wondering if the nut butter ends up warm and is therefore not truly raw anymore? Maybe it only gets warm but not over 110 degrees F. Any information about this would be appreciated as well as anything else that might make the BT versus VM decision easier.

Thanks,

Jeffrey

Comments

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I'd like to know about this, too. (Bumping to the front page.)

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

You have control over how fast the blades rotate, which is the major factor in determining heat. When I first got my VitaMix, I was vegan, but not really raw. I made steaming hot vegan soups almost on a daily basis. I still make soups occasionally, but control the blade speed and time. They are a little warm, but no longer steaming hot.

Someone else will have to enlighten us regarding nut butters, as I've not made any.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I don't find it heats things too high. It's not even close to 115 judging by my dehydrator when set around there. I haven't done nut butter but my take is that small batches are less "work."

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I would make nut butters in a food processor if you have one, not a Vita-Mix, just because of the shape and ease of blending. I have done so in a food processor and if I feel it gets warm, I stop for a bit or place in the fridge and then resume later.

As far as the Vita-Mix, I think it takes a good 3-4 min. for something to get hot. I made a raw tofu before and it felt hot to touch when it was poured out, and I didn't test the temperature, but I think it was lower than human body temp, 98-99% F. Think of how hot bubble baths/hot tubs are, and those are only 104F. What seems hot may not be that much in temperature and is probably lower than 110F.

I would NOT heat things on the stove on low heat, as some raw food books suggest. Just my preference.

But I think you're fine with the Vita-Mix, less than 3 min., or just test it with a thermometer and stop for a bit or add ice cubes to slow down the heating. :)

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

something we do for anything that involves a liquid, such as almond milk, is to add ice in addition to water. keeps it cooler. the other thing you can do it just turn it off and then let it cool down and then turn it on again.