Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Your favorite Raw ice cream recipe?

valgal123valgal123 Raw Newbie

I have been making Vice creams recipes for years, but its not doing anything for me lately and I think I could do so much better. The recipes are just cashews, water and sweetener. It doesn't taste rich and creamy to me, it tastes like cashews, water, and sweetener. I have tried recipes using thai coconut and cashews and wasn't wild about it either. Am I missing something? What does everyone else do and like?

Comments

• Are you using an ice cream maker or just freezing your mixture? I've made Matt Kenney's raw almond gelato (using an ice cream maker) and I LOVE it (from "Every Day Raw")! Tonight, I will be trying his recipe for Strawberry sorbet (there were loads of fresh, local strawbs at the farmer's market this morning).

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Valgal123 -- I would not expect nuts, water and sweetener to be very tasty. For me, ice cream needs some kind of fruit. The Vanilla Strawberry Swirl Ice Cream on the home page is a very nice recipe. There are many others in the recipe files. Try an Advanced Search for ice cream recipes. I think you'll find a number of suggestions. OR you could just try adding some fresh or fresh frozen fruit to your current recipe. The possibilities seem endless.

When you've found that unique combination that is "yummy in your tummy", please do share.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

Frozen chopped bananas and water. If they are too ripe it will tase like banana ice cream, but if they are just ripe, they will taste like very thick vanilla. start with a cold belnder and don't add much water. the trick is to pulse, or stop and stir. My neices love it. :)

• valgal123valgal123 Raw Newbie

Thank you! I have an ice cream maker. I don't add fruit to my ice cream because I am very picky about it being icy. Yes I like the banana ice cream too.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Banana whip with strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, or mango. Yum.!!! Sometimes pear, too.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

I don't recall reading what kind of blender you have. I have a VitaMix, and can easily combine frozen and fresh fruit with nuts and/or some nutmilk to make a smoothie that is so thick I consider it ice cream . . . have to spoon it out of the blender and eat it with a spoon. It is definitely not icy. The higher quality blenders pulverize any seeds that might be in something like a strawberry and the finished product (ice cream, smoothie, etc.) is as creamy as can be.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

I like bananas blended with pure maple syrup, cinnamon, and raw almond butter. it is so heavenly delicious.

• MishimooMishimoo Raw Newbie

Since I got my Omega 8006 I have been making Sorbet with only frozen fruit...it is magica!! No sugar or nuts added.

I just freeze my over ripe fruit and pass it through my MacDaddy (Omega) twice to make it smooth. Also, adding banana is the key to make it smooth.

Since I'm new to the Raw world, this is all I have tried but I'll have to try a recipe from this site soon with maybe coconut and a creamy base...man I'm getting hungry, this always happens when I come to this site...LOL!

alexisp
  • After making it last night, I can recommend this recipe - coming to you right here on GoneRaw:

http://goneraw.com/recipe/chocolate-chip-cherry-chocolate-ice-cream

YUM!

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

I love frozen bananas and blueberries. I just use a food processor...works great! :)

Swayze

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i had a really nice ice cream with irish moss and almond milk that was very good. to me, raw ice cream with mature coconut is also quite good and very creamy but a lot of work.

i made evergreen's ice cream today with almond milk and hemp milk and it was more of a yogurt taste but i like that.

it will never taste like dairy exactly. but it also won't hurt your body like dairy, so be grateful!

• Joanna I just tried your fav. ice cream

in the blender i put 2 bananas, some 100 maple syrup, just plain ole' raw almonds, ice & cinnamon..

let me just say...O...M....G

Simply the best raw ice cream in the world, no contest.

• amberablueamberablue Raw Newbie

i'm with all the 'frozen banana + fruit, (and sometimes nut milk)' people. sometimes i add 'nut pulp' and nut milk for extra creaminess, just like 1/4 cup or small amount. the 'all nuts + water' recipes aren't all that realistic to be eating all the time, at least for me. i have used coconut meat/water and that worked well, but it's just so easy the other way. . i do banana, strawberry + water just about everyday for a milkshake...it is wonderful!

• ladydaventryladydaventry Raw Newbie

Frozen bananas are the best! Frozen mango makes a beautiful sorbet and Bryan Au has a recipe for coconut sorbet, simply water, coconut and some agave.

ClaireT
  • frozen banana with coconut milk, pineapple and cherries!

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I'm currently addicted to frozen bananas with maple syrup, cinnamon, raisins and buckwheaties for a bit of crunch.....soooooo good! Would highly reccomend!

megan, i'm glad you liked it!! i've tried it with macadamia nut butter, too, but i think almond butter has a stronger flavor.

i've also made banana split ice cream and thats just frozen bananas, a little carob powder, frozen cherries, a vanilla bean, pure maple syrup, and some cacao nibs.

i like the fact that you can eat these ice creams any time of the day and it's still a healthy meal. i'm hungry for some right now but all my stupid bananas are green.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Ah joannabanana, I feel for you! I am constantly buying bananas to make sure I always have some at just the right ripeness. I love the fact that any surplus can be frozen.

I am so addicted to my ice cream at the moment...it's become a nightly ritual. I'm just waiting for the day to come when I suddenly can't face it and never want to see it again!

• I mix cacao, raw local honey & hazelnuts with my frozen bananas. Nutella ice cream!

• ktkt Raw Newbie

avocados are great for adding a creamy consistency to any icecream without compromising the flavours

• cupcakes revengecupcakes revenge Raw Newbie

how do you guys keep your ice cream from getting too hard when it's in the freezer? I have an ice cream maker and I still encounter this problem.

cupcakesrevenge, i usually just make it as i need it. i've noticed that banana ice cream tastes too "icy" after it sits in the freezer. i usually just keep 5-10 bananas in the freezer for when the craving hits... and lately, it's been every night ahaha

• I don't really have a recipe for ice cream (I don't have a maker and it never turns out how I expect), but if anyone is ever in Austin Texas .... go on down to beet's living foods cafe (they have a website with a full menu if you'd like to look at it and get some ideas for new recipes/creations :D). They have snickerdoodle ice cream! WOW ... amazing!

If I am ever craving ice cream I usually make a really think choc shake and top with nibs. I like to make it really icy and frothy!

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

i need to try that nutella ice cream

• I love making raw ice cream with my juicer! I use the blank slate and put frozen bananas

With frozen strawberries or raspberries or blueberries.

Also there is a super awesome sorbet I use my ice cream maker

With mango, coconut water and maple syrup.

• davidwdavidw Raw Newbie

Thank you for awesome information , Catnipandcarrots !

I have a omega j8006 juicer. 

Can you share raw ice cream recipe in details ?

• Pancake OrganicsPancake Organics Raw Newbie

I love frozen banana and blueberries. Frozen bananas are the best. I always make it in my free time. I mix some more ingredients in this recipe like coconut milk, pineapple and cherries.

ClaireT
  • TammiTrueTammiTrue Raw Master

I love making raw ice cream with my juicer! I use the blank slate and put frozen bananas

With frozen strawberries or raspberries or blueberries.

Also there is a super awesome sorbet I use my ice cream maker

With mango, coconut water and maple syrup.

Your recipe is now on my summer list! I love anything with mango, but this looks divine.