Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Pasteurized Almonds

Yikes, I just got a bag of organic almonds and didn't realize until they arrived that they are pasteurized. I'm new to Raw and not sure if this is really bad or not. I up to this point have been using non-organic raw almonds so I'm figuring that pasteurized is better than non-organic. Your opinions please:)

Comments

• pixxpixx Raw Master

All California almonds are now pasteurized. It's a law now. Non organic are treated with a chemical, organic are flash heated. Some folks are claiming that the flash heated ones are still viable. I suppose you could try sprouting a few, and see if they will grow. I buy imported almonds. From my understanding, Spain does not pasteurize almonds.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I was able to get raw almonds at a few stores in NYC, even already sprouted and dehydrated. I rarely eat nuts or seeds, though. Go to health food stores or raw stores or sites. Otherwise, even ones labeled "raw" (including nut butters) usually aren't. There are a few exceptions, but after you've been raw a while, you recognize the companies that are really-raw-friendly. :)

• Thanks for the info Pixx and Superfood 2! I only use the almonds for almond milk and sometimes Raw Granola. I'll have to check out the almonds from Spain. Where do you order them Pixx?

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Trader Joe's sells raw Valencia almonds, and Nutsonline.com carries raw Marcona almonds. The Marconas make the BEST nutmylk!

• Cool, I have a Trader Joe's close. I forget about them for organic nuts. Thanks!

• Here is a short article that you might find interesting

it helps explain what happened to the almond...

http://mediaenvironment.wordpress.com/2009/04/24/waiting-for-the-dew-to-rise/

• Thanks for the article SimplyRaw!

• Thanks for the tip. I already loved nuts online, so I just went and ordered some marcona almons. I can't wait to try them!

• pixxpixx Raw Master

You're welcome! I think the Marconas are marvelous! I'm kind of lazy about making nutmylk- I don't bother straining. I stopped using regular almonds a while back, because you almost *have* to strain them! I started using other nuts like walnut, brazil, etc... but those Marconas! YUM! I've just recently found them, and I'm thrilled with them. I hope you enjoy them!

• I saw a couple of links yesterday or the day before and they said that you CAN get organic raw (and UNPASTEURIZED) almonds in California. Growers are allowed to sell up to 100 lbs per day per person of unpasteurized almonds and they can also sell them at farmers markets. I picked up a couple of pounds at the Farmers Market in SF yesterday. I asked the fella if they were unpasteurized and he said the raw ones were, but not the roasted ones. You can also drive out to the ranch/farm and pick them up yourself. Growers are not allowed to ship unpasteurized almonds. I don't know this for a fact, but this is what I've been reading online.