Quick things...

to throw on veggies. i am about to run to the grocery store with mom to get some food for the next few days. we have romaine, cucumbers, carrots and an onion. i was going to pick up tomatoes, alfalfa sprouts and make some yummy wrap/burrito things. im looking for your suggestions on cheap things i could add to these basic ingreadents to kind of change it. (like adding something to make is have a more mexican flair... ect) also are their any differences in taste between the tiny roma tomatoes and the regular ones?

Comments

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I always buy cheap stuff in mass and then get the expensive things as 'treats'. I'm a very simple raw foodist and I mostly eat fruit, salads and green smoothies.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Cilantro, lime juice, oranges?

Oh, and jicama?

Not sure how the prices will be for you or what prices you're used to.

I'd get some unpitted/non-dried dates if you find them just cuz they're delicious. :D

Sun-dried tomatoes, basil, maybe garlic if you eat it?

I would stay away from dried spices and do fresh herbs for flavor. Spices seem to be irritants and make your poop smell bad!

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

superfood what do sun dried tomatoes taste like? ive never had them before.

:)

I think they're kind of salty and chewy, REALLY concentrated tomato flavor that is richer than non-dried/fresh tomatoes. They add good flavor to a raw marinara sauce (or you can do a Mexican one with cilantro) if you mix them with fresh tomatoes, lemon juice, dates, garlic, basil, a little pink salt. MMMM!!!!!

I should add that I like the sun-dried bagged/vaccum packed ones, unsulfured. The jarred and/or sulfured ones are no good.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

This would be an ideal time to consider an herb garden. I planted cilantro, chives, basil and lavender (my personal favorites) in a 12" shallow pot right by the front door. The pot is small enough that I can bring it inside during the winter. I love picking them just before I eat them. To me everything tastes so much better right after it's harvested. Pick your favorite 3 or 4, and create a mini-herb garden. You'll not only have fresh herbs, but you'll also save money.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Bell peppers? Mushrooms? Mushrooms and walnuts make a fun "taco meat."

Ditto on cilantro and lime - with a jalapeno you could make a fresh salsa for your wraps.

I think different tomatoes taste different. If you can get to a farmers' market you will be astonished at how good the tomatoes are! A simple salad of cucumber, tomato, and basil in a little olive oil is fantastic. If you don't like basil, try dill. Add onion or don't. Or add diced avocado if you have it. Yum.

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

suasoria what are your favorite kind of mushrooms?

i never really have bought them before and there are so many kinds to choose from!

i was thinking a white button mushroom? and you can eat mushrooms raw right, i thought i read somewhere once they were a fungi.