So hungry!!!!!!

AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I've started a raw vegan diet 2 weeks ago today. I love it! Before beginning it, I was already used to eat a lot of vegetables and fruit, so that was not the problem. The thing is that I am STARVING, and I eat a lot (about 2000-2300 calories a day). I include avocado, olive oil, almond butter and falx seeds in my diet for more filling things. Also I made smoothies with VEGA powder to add extra protein. I'm trying to stay away from canned beans, but I've been eating them this week because I've been so hungry.

I have to mention that I exercise A LOT, between 1hour-2hours a day (on average 1 hour, but very intense cardio, like jumping rope for the entire hour or running 10km). So I'm sure I need to eat more than "average" people. I've read the 80/10/10 book, which is amazing and I've trying several menu plans, but I'm still hungry. I find that I'm missing protein in my diet, but what can I include that is not super high in fat, like nuts.

I really want to follow this new life style, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you :)

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I love Hemp Seed in my smoothies and over my salads.... I use sunflower and pumpkin seeds to make cheezes or to add to my smoothies and salads.. Starves my hunger... I too spend an hour a day exercising and these seeds help my hunger...

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Thank you! I put the VEGA powder in my smoothie in the morning with a banana, strawberries and spinach. What portion of seeds to you use?

Could you send me a "sample day" of what you eat, so I can see if I'm on the right track?

• I found I was more hungry in the beginning but am less so now. I workout a lot too and I find the hemp protein powder works fantastic! Nutiva just came out with a 50% protein mix that I love! Here is a link: http://www.therawfoodworld.com/product_info.php?products_id=1002085

I would eat less of the oils and avocados after your situated, maybe in a couple of weeks. I started with higher amounts and have now trickled off to about 1/2 avocado a day with the hemp protein powder that seems to be enough. If you haven't seen Kristen Suzanne's blog, she's great! She was a professional body builder before going Raw and is still an avid fitness buff now. Here is her site: http://kristensraw.blogspot.com/ She is great about answering questions and has quite a few posts on fitness and Raw living.

Oh, and have you seen Brendan's (VEGA) Thrive in 30? He gives a lot of info on Raw/Vegan sports nutrition. Here is another link:)

http://thrivein30.com/lessons/lesson-12_now-what_long-term-strategies-for-whole-food-success-in-a-fast-food-world/

Hope that helps:)

Nicole

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I think you might still be adjusting. Your calories sound fine, but if you switched from getting the majority of your calories from meat/dairy/animal fats to getting them from plants, then yeah - you might not have the 'full feeling' you're used to.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Thanks all of you for your suggestions. I've strated to look at those links you sent me TheFitnessFreak, and i'm going to go to the health food store today to get some hemp seed protein powder. Although there is some in VEGA, but I will compare the nutritional facts for both of them.

Suasoria, you are right about it being hard to transition from eating a meat-protein-based diet to a plant-protein-based diet. I didn't used to eat that much meat, just chicken, turkey, some fish and eggs. So it's not like I was a "meatatarian"! But it's still difficult. It's been 2 weeks now, and I still need to get used to it. But I'm guessing that it will get easier as I get more used to it.

Also, any suggestions for bread cravings? The only cooked starchy food that I eat is my buckwheat porridge in the morning. But throughout the day I still get cravings for starchy carbs.