Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Newbie Page

2»

Comments

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

FOOD COMBINING

CHOOSING PRODUCE

DETOXING

There are lots of threads that deal in detoxing… Use the search function on the Forums tab.

RAW ON A BUDGET OR JUST STARTING OUT

• I am new to going raw, can anyone tell symptoms of detoxing ? how would I know ?

Sonia~

Welcome. To get started, check out post #9 on page 1 of this thread. There are a few links that might be useful to you.

To your wellness...

• Hey everyone,

I became raw 3 weeks ago (cold turkey) and have found it very easy! I'm getting my degree in Holistic Nutrition from Clayton College of Natural Health and that has provided me the info and inspiration. I look forward to hearing what you all have to share. At the end of week 2 I had some detox I think, but now I am SOOOO satisfied with the meals and not hungry at all. I eat lots of fruits and that helps with water intake!

Sheree

• Hi everybody!

Is there anything that should not be eaten raw (meaning toxic)? And is there any way to eat potatoes without a dehydrator?

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Try an Advanced Search of the Forums for "raw" and "toxic" putting each term in a different search box. You should get about 9 pages of titles. Several months ago there were a number of discussions on this topic. If you're new to using the Advanced Search features on GoneRaw, click here and check reply #3.

• I am new to raw and thrilled to find this topic!

I am having a difficult time getting enough protein, so to those of you who have been doing this for a while, what is your favourite way to get your protein in?

• Hey guys. I am new to this site, and new to raw. Just trying to get some tips and suggestions for eating raw.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Hi sungem827, welcome along and good luck on your raw journey.

I am not an expert or anything and not 100% but my advice would be to take things slowly to start with and keep an open mind.

Green smoothies are a great place to start and indulge in loads of fresh fruit for snacks.

Find some good staples that you really enjoy and keep a batch in the fridge for if you suddenly feel hungry. There are some amazing recipes on this site and it's worth checking out those ones with great feedback.

I love making up pates and dips which keep for a week or so and then I can have them on crackers, in salads or in nori wraps. Don't be too discouraged if some of the things you make don't taste as amazing as you'd hoped. I had quite a few flops along the way but have also discovered some really tasty dishes which have become firm favorites.

You can keep things simple by just eating whole fresh fruit/veggies or if you fancy trying some gourmet dishes, that's great fun too. Give yourself time to try different things and see what works best for you.

Hope this helps!

• I am currently heading into day 3 of the Master Cleanse, and I can't wait to see how long I can go. I am doing this to come out on the other end a more healthy person and to help change my thinking when it comes to food. When my cleanse is over I am going to switch to a RAW diet. I had recently been a omnivore, but was a veggie in the past and I loved it. I want to make this into a whole lifestyle change to feel 100% better about myself. I am sick of feeling blah, depressed, and bloated. So good-bye dead processed foods and hello new life! If anyone has any tips or encouragement for eventually easing from the MC to a raw diet please drop me a line.. ;)

Thank you,

Julie

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Nonchalant -- There is a specific way to ease back into eating after the MC. If you haven't already done so, you might want to get a copy of Stanley Burrough's (I think that's his name) little paperback book. I found it at the health food store. I don't remember exactly what the recommendation is and have loaned my book out, but it's definitely worth the reading IMHO . . . not a fancy book, but it has the MC basics.

• thank you. I do have those instructions, I was just kinda wondering if people had tips from their own experiences. I am on 8pm on my 3rd day and I feel great, no hunger pains, and two easy BMs.. ;) I know to to go with fruit juice like orange juice to start my ease off, eventually.. let's see how far I can go!

• Hi

I've been using a vitalizer plus for almost 4 years now to oxygenate and fortify my water. If you want great water then I highly recommend it.

I've been researching Raw Vegan Food ebooks for beginners and have been writhing some reviews. You can check them out here: http://www.mindbodyspirithealth.info/raw_vegan_food.html

Cindy Groves

• Hi, so im new to this and i have a few questions.

I first wanted to become raw because i want to become healthier also i read that becoming raw will change your eye color back to the color you were born with. I was born with amazing grey eyes and now they are a dark brown.

Has any one had any success with their eyes changing colors?

Also is peanut butter a raw food?

• I do not have a dehydrator (yet). Is it possible to dehydrate in a regular oven?

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Yeah, apparently you can get the same effect putting your oven on it's lowest setting and leaving the door open.

I haven't tried it myself tho so can't say anymore really.

• A friend suggested that going to raw foods for thirty days will help me to detox and lose weight. This is the first day. I'm having a difficult time finding recipes that don't contain my allergens. They are: banana, avocado, apple, carrot, all melons, Brazil nuts, chestnuts, rye, celery, peas, cinnamon (that one about killed me!) as well as shrimp and tuna. Is there a way to sort the recipes here so that I am not looking through all of these disallowed items?

I am an experienced sprouter, with lentil sprouts in the fridge right now.

Any suggestions on what to sub for the banana in smoothies and the avocado in other things?

Thank you so much for any suggestions that you might have!

• Hello, new to raw foods:) I was wondering what would you pack in a raw foods survival or hurricane kit?

• Hello guys

I decided to become a vegetarian and I found a very good e-book. It contains the critical steps,you must know how to become a vegetarian, also the life-changing reasons, a vegetarian food pyramid, the 10 most common misconceptions about vegetarianism, what leading medical authorities say on the health benefits of being vegetarian, tried and true plans for becoming vegetarian, traps for the beginner vegetarian, the difference between a vegetarian, a vegan, a pescatarian and an ovo-lacto vegetarian, where to get all the protein you need and how much we actually need, recipes for vegetarian barbecue food, how to cook with

• Sorry, I posted the previous one twice by mistake, but I could not know how to remove it.

• Hello again

I made a web site to share the information about that e-book. I received many emails what I answered. I will not have that much time to reply e-mails in the future, so please, look at my web site what I built for you today. http://mybestvegetarianrecipes.blogspot.com/

Thank you very much

Best regards

• I've been raw for two and a half months now.I have TONS of extra energy,sleep so much better,amazing difference in my skin and hair.However my digestion is super sensitive and have gotten really bad upset stomach aches,bloating,etc from eating sprouted grains over these months.I've decided to incorporate cooked grains,such as quinoa and millet,back into my diet.All nutrients that you get from quinoa are increased and released via cooking.I was also concerned with my protein intake and calcium,so I use ORAC Paradise Protein and Greens or VEGA protein powder every day.I'm not sure if I'll sprout edamame ( I can get it fresh where I live) or just use soy protein powder,which I have.My main concern is that osteoporosis runs in my family and I don't want to run into that later in life.As much as I love the raw lifestyle and how I feel,I need to be balanced and some things in the raw diet are simply too much for my body,such as chia seeds (I have low blood pressure,so it's super dangerous for me to consume them),cacao (way too addictive) and raw grains.

• Claire TurnipClaire Turnip Raw Newbie

If any newbies (or old) to the forum need help with sizing a profile image/avatar, let me know and I can do it for you. I know the uploader has been acting a bit picky lately.

- Claire

• annahannah Raw Newbie

Hi All,

What a fantastic site! 

I am relatively new to raw eating. I eat raw most mornings - chia seeds with a combo of fruit etc.

A couple of things I am having a few issues with:

• Eating raw in winter (I am in NZ and currently in the middle of winter). Recipe ideas?
    • Snack ideas (used to eat a lot of packaged foods, muesli bars etc which are easy and delicious but know they are very processed!)
    • Also winter dinner recipes (can't get ahold of a lot of fruit/vege that I have found in some recipes)

I often have smoothies at work (make in the morning take with me and have in the afternoons). Try to eat more fruit at work but often don't feel like it on a cold rainy day. Trying my best!

Thanks

Anna

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Hi Anna,

Welcome to the site. smile

Have you tried raw soups (can be warmed) as a winter food? 

Bananas and nuts are always quick no-nonsense snacks. Lots of other things can be as well, some requiring a little prep, of course. There are raw cracker recipes that might also hit the spot. 

• annahannah Raw Newbie

Not a huge fan of soups - but have already branched out heaps from my 'normal' deit. I would love to do raw crackers but feel they may be a little complicated to make at this point for me? Also I don't have a dehydrator and I know you can do it in the oven but can take a little practice.

Week days are easier for me, weekends I tend ot want to eat all those 'yummy' foods. 

Thanks Claire will investigate the soups a little more.

ClaireT
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

You'll get there. How do you feel about raw brownies? No dehydrator necessary :)

• annahannah Raw Newbie

Well i love traditional brownies! Haven't attempted raw brownies yet but it is on the list!

ClaireT
  • RawLiferRawLifer Raw Jr. Leader
    Munchie said:

As a newbie, here are a few things I would and maybe others in the future would like to know:

1.) I would like info. on produce. How to tell what’s ripe, things to avoid, how to store it properly. I buy produce almost every other day, and EVERY day I’m having to throw stuff out :o( The “kids” at the grocery store can’t pull their pants up, let alone tell me where I can find a persimmon. Surprisingly, even the folks at whole foods couldn’t identify kale in the bin of greens they have—though they were MUCH friendlier and were willing to help and try and find out at least(actually, the 15 year old girl at the juice counter was the most help and DID in fact know her whole foods.) I have a couple of raw books from the library and just bought another, and while they have a LOT of information, it tends to be mostly recipes.

2.) Do you use those green stay fresh bags?

3.) Newbies would like to know what to expect with detox. Duration, range of symptoms, what is happening, etc.

4.) What is the official raw temp. no no? I’ve heard 108, 112, 116, and 118.

5.) What order to eat foods—fruit in a.m.? nuts at lunch/snack? veggies in p.m.? ???

I’m all over the place, I know, I am just a little overwelmed by all the new information for my new raw journey.

Note to newbs: be sure to check out the threads on natural hygiene. Deodorants, toothpaste, and alternative ‘poos… great info!

Thank you everyone!

Munchie...what great stuff you quoted.  All of that stuff is basic and much needed information!  It definitely would be a great idea to have a link or page for easy accessibility.