Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Lost Control of Watermelon Island

zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

Ok, this is a serious discussion people. I have a feeling I'm going to get some 801010 flack for this but it's important for people to hear about this!

So I was on day 2 of watermelon island and yesterday was unfortunately one of my "off" days. On these days I tend to eat too much. Actually I have a way of avoiding my duties and just eating and sleeping instead. So I overate on watermelon from the time I got up.

I started getting a headache so I though it was probably detox and I should drink some water. I drank about a half gallon of water and went to sleep for an hour or so. I woke up, I knew that I should do work so I felt like maybe I needed to eat to have more energy so I ate more watermelon.

By the time I got to the library I had a pounding headache and I drank about 8 oz. more water. I knew I couldn't do work so I ended up wandering back home and collapsing for hours in my bed waking up only to eat more watermelon.

I ate maybe 1.5 medium to large sized watermelons and close to a gallon of water. I had the worst splitting headache I have ever had in my life. I knew I needed something but I didn't know what and I couldn't get myself up to walk the 1 block to the grocery store.

I was pretty scared actually, but I figured I'd have to wait it out. I thought it was some sort of insane detox that would last a day or maybe two.

Luckily my boyfriend called and the first thing I could say to him was "I feel like I'm dying, please help." He luckily had heard of times when people have overdosed on water and knew what I needed to do. This overdose on water thing is not that uncommon and happens to people who override their bodies signals and drink too much water. It is pretty much when sodium in the bloodstream gets too diluted.

I don't eat much sodium normally anyways, so this wasn't that big of a surprise, plus I'm pretty small. So he thought it was important for me to get in some electrolytes and sodium so I took a couple multivitamins I still had in the house, although that was the last thing I wanted to do I was in the kind of pain that you'll do pretty much anything to get out of. It was beyond bad.

He also told me to go to the store and get something high in sodium so I got a bag of chips. It helped absorb some of the water in my stomach and also I guess the sodium helped.

I normally am not one to turn to a bag of chips to solve my problem, but I felt like something was seriously wrong. I've never been in the sort of pain where I feel that getting run over by a train might be less painful. And I've been in a lot of pain before, believe me. This was the kind of pain where you start seeing your life flash before your eyes and you see angels and demons and you start bargaining with God. ;) I felt better in less than an hour whereas before I felt like I would feel awful for a couple of days (and probably would have if I kept gorging myself on watermelon).

So I just wanted to give you people doing watermelon island a heads up-

DO listen to your body. Don't eat more than your body is asking for (it's a bad habit anyways).

IF your body is telling you something is seriously wrong it MAY NOT be detox.

IF you feel something is seriously wrong DO call a friend.

I feel like people are going to think "This is going to scare people away from raw." It shouldn't, I really want to help people be aware that it's possible to seriously harm oneself by consuming too much water and no sodium and if you feel like your really sick maybe you should seek help. I am so lucky my boyfriend called because I could have hurt myself and I definitely would have felt awful for days without knowing why.

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

Wow, Zin, that is such a scary ordeal. I've heard of overdosing on water, but I never considered that it could also be the water in food. I'm glad your boyfriend knew what to do.

What exactly is watermelon island?? Do you eat nothing but watermelon for a few days?

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

Yep. I know a lady who did nothing but melons for 6 months. She's been fruitarian for 14 years and she's incredibly beautiful inside and out :) very sweet and juicy she is. Banana island is a common one. Mango island, watermelon island, melon island. Another girl I heard did watermelon island for 2 months and said her digestive system was like a race car after that ;) much stronger. i was loving watermelon island (except red poo is weird), and I vow never to overeat on the precious fruit again!

I'm going to fast for a while and then go right back on the island :)

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

Hugs and hugs my girl. I'm glad he was there for you. Just like us eating sad once in a while...I only hope you have learned something from this. Be extra careful w/ yourself! REMEMBER balance. always, m

• BogiNYCBogiNYC Raw Newbie

I see that this thread is already 2 years old, but I still like to comment. Water "poisoning" can be serious, even deadly. I don't think though that the problem was the large amount of watermelon you consumed. If you don't eat much but watermelon for a few days it will cleanse your body, but eating large amount of watermelon PLUS drinking more than a gallon of water a day is way too much. You didn't get sick from the melon, but from the water! I eat lots of raw fruits and vegetables (nothing else) a day and since their water content is high, I only need to drink 2-3 liters (quarts) of water daily, or even less when I eat lots of watermelon.

If you worry about dangerously low sodium level in your body instead of chips I recommend celery/celery juice (naturally high in sodium, it really tastes salty) and coconut water which naturally packed with eletrolytes.

I believe that watermelon island is good for your body.

Good luck!

krishnar
  • powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Too many pan off everything that goes wrong as detox and i really dislike that intensely. Or they worry that there peers are going to grill them, lifestyle and diet shouldnt be about this. If you muck up and eat something bad who cares, life goes on. Nothing is worse than permanent damage or worse.

Thats what i really dislike about many of these diets, everyone has to be 100% perfect or else there called every name under the sun. Ive known many including myself who suffered hypoglycemia during fasting as "detox symptoms or that i was weak mentally" and before i knew anything about human physiology i chalked it up and ended up passing out, due to listening to fake gurus and others. Im not saying fasting is bad but it is dangerous for some and listening to people on forums who are no more educated in health than car mechanics are dangerous.

They might write books or do videos but you should always listen to your gut instinct if something doesnt feel right, i didn't and although im fine now i did pass out and that wasn't detox, hocus pocus or any other crap they pan off etc. We are living in a world where anyone can make a video and pretend there some health guru without knowing even the basics about nutrition or health, so take everything with a major pinch of salt(no pun).

http://www.vegankingdom.co.uk

• ajcajc Raw Newbie

Excellent post powerlifer.

• Pame'laVik'toriaPame'laVik'toria Raw Newbie

wow, we can all learn from you.

• krishnarkrishnar Raw Newbie
    I will show this to my wife who keeps getting marooned on the watermelon
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Always a good reminder when summer is on its way!

• raw2liferaw2life Raw Newbie
    BogiNYC said:

I see that this thread is already 2 years old, but I still like to comment. Water "poisoning" can be serious, even deadly. I don't think though that the problem was the large amount of watermelon you consumed. If you don't eat much but watermelon for a few days it will cleanse your body, but eating large amount of watermelon PLUS drinking more than a gallon of water a day is way too much. You didn't get sick from the melon, but from the water! I eat lots of raw fruits and vegetables (nothing else) a day and since their water content is high, I only need to drink 2-3 liters (quarts) of water daily, or even less when I eat lots of watermelon.

If you worry about dangerously low sodium level in your body instead of chips I recommend celery/celery juice (naturally high in sodium, it really tastes salty) and coconut water which naturally packed with eletrolytes.

I believe that watermelon island is good for your body.

Good luck!

Yup! The issue is the extra water. 

When you eat fruit, you are already getting a huge amount of water. However, this fruit-water is perfectly balanced with h20/sodium/potassium i.e nature's perfect sport/electrolyte drink, and so is properly utilised by the body. Drinking plain water, which is not balanced in the same way, can completely upset the delicate sodium/potassium balance, which can be extremely dangerous frown

ClaireT