Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How Important is Organic Food to you?

2»

Comments

• flodadolflodadol Raw Newbie

I honestly don't care.

• Organic (in grocery stores) costs a FEW dimes more per pound, by and large. I eat ONLY organic veggies from the dirty dozen and OPT for organic when available because of concerns for the workers who are subjected to the pesticides...such as Bananas that come from overseas where 12 year olds spray poisons to keep bugs off...organic bananas (even during winter) cost about 10 cents more per lb...

• I started out raw as non organic. However I joined a food co-op 6 months ago so I could buy organic and afford it. Totally worth it in everyway. I noticed I feel much lighter eating organic.

I recommend joining a food co-op in your area to save $$$$

• rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

Almost all the food I buy is organic and I do it for two fundamental reasons.

One being, the more veggies I eat the more important it becomes not to have the residual chemicals that may linger in fruits and veggies and may accumulate in my body. In addition, as it was mentioned earlier (and it only makes sense), organic veggies are more nutritious simply because they are raised in a more nutritious soil, and also because veggies develop their own chemicals to protect them, and they happen to be good for us.

The second reason is a moral one. I believe that even more important that the political vote is the money vote, namely where you spend your money, and how this affects the offer of a non-desired product. The less demand for GMO, the less production. The more demand for organic, the more organic food will be produced, whith all the pretty effects we all know.

I am not rich, I assure you, but for me it's a matter of principle. This year I started to grow my own veggies to lower the food costs. I grow the things that I eat and like the most and that are more expensive to buy, such as kale, micro greens, tomatoes, etc. If you have a small patio you can grow your own too. My picture shows a bunch of grees I got every three days or so from a couple of lettuce plants that I grew in a pot last year.

For many of you guys living in California growing your own stuff is a no brainer. Take advantage of the climate and give it a try.

By the way, growing organic food means much more than just not spraying the apple tree; You need to develop a comprehensive approach that prevents the pest from overtaking your crop, such as interplanting and soil preparation. It's a whole different approach to conventional growing. There is lots of information available in internet. Search "companion planitng wich is the base for obtaining a healthy crop at any production scale.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

i usually buy organic when i can, when i used to juice i would say its essential to buy organic as things like cucumber have been waxed otherwise.

• All as organic as possible with the exception of local ga. peaches when they come in. I can't bring myself to eat an organic peach from California that smells like a cardboard box and has been trucked 3,000 miles picked too soon when the local peach aroma hits me loud and clear as i approach the peach bin. Some things are worth a little trace of pesticide, I s'pose.

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

It is HUGELY important to me- the Earth knows how to grow our our fruits, vegetables, nuts etc perfectly. Pesticides are TOXIC and are killing the eco systems. How dare these companies poision the plants and trees and then to add further injury they process them with chemical perservatives? It is nothing short of WICKED.

• OrganicapricoOrganicaprico Raw Newbie
    edited June 2022

The term “organic” refers to the way agricultural products are grown and processed. While the regulations vary from country to country, in the U.S., organic crops must be grown without the use of synthetic herbicides, pesticides, and fertilizers, or bioengineered genes (GMOs). 

Organic food are considered as superfood. There are numerous benefits of organic food. 

Organic food like Dry fruits contain Calcium, Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Phosphorus, Protein, Riboflavin, Vitamin A-C-E-K-B6, and Zinc. Dry Fruits are a great source of protein and iron.

However, finding accurate facts about organic foods has always been confusing as people have varied opinions regarding its benefits as a whole. 

Organic Food Benefits:

1. Better overall health

2. Antioxidant content

3. Improved Heart condition

4. Antibiotic resistance

5. Better taste

ClaireT
  • SethShieldsSethShields Raw Newbie
    edited September 2022

My diet consists almost exclusively of organic food. I care about my body, so I try to make a balanced diet of organic food. Most of the time, I cook at home. Sometimes I do not have the time or desire to cook, so I order food from restaurants. Before ordering, I always check dishes' composition, calories, and other indicators. I often hear from my colleagues that they don't eat breakfast before the working day. For me, it's impossible. Besides breakfast, I make snacks to fortify myself during the workday. I usually order different kinds of granola to make breakfast and snacks.

• violet said:

I'm just trying to gather a selection of opinions on the importance of organic food especially in terms of a raw food diet.

Do you eat all organic, mostly organic, no organic and what are your reasons?

I have tried doing my own research on the internet but it is very confusing and so many articles seem to state that it makes no difference whether a food is or is not pesticide free. I even read one which proclaimed organic food to be a ''tax on the gullible.''

I buy organic food where I can, I might tend to buy more non-organic if I'm trying to save money. My gut feeling is that it seems quite obvious that organic food is the better option but then again I don't like to believe and do things without knowing why I believe in them. Does anybody have evidence to prove that it is better for you? Do the chemicals sprayed on food affect the enzymes or the structure of the food? Does non-organic food put stress on the body? I want to know the facts.

Non-organic means that there are pesticides (they can seep into the food so just washing is not enough to eliminate this issue), food may be genetically modified (yikes!), food may be irradiated (zaps the life right out of it) and the soil that the food is grown in is very inferior (which results in food with a much lower level of nutrients).

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master
    violet said:

I'm just trying to gather a selection of opinions on the importance of organic food especially in terms of a raw food diet.

Do you eat all organic, mostly organic, no organic and what are your reasons?

I have tried doing my own research on the internet but it is very confusing and so many articles seem to state that it makes no difference whether a food is or is not pesticide free. I even read one which proclaimed organic food to be a ''tax on the gullible.''

I buy organic food where I can, I might tend to buy more non-organic if I'm trying to save money. My gut feeling is that it seems quite obvious that organic food is the better option but then again I don't like to believe and do things without knowing why I believe in them. Does anybody have evidence to prove that it is better for you? Do the chemicals sprayed on food affect the enzymes or the structure of the food? Does non-organic food put stress on the body? I want to know the facts.

Non-organic means that there are pesticides (they can seep into the food so just washing is not enough to eliminate this issue), food may be genetically modified (yikes!), food may be irradiated (zaps the life right out of it) and the soil that the food is grown in is very inferior (which results in food with a much lower level of nutrients).

The lack of nutrients is always frightening. It makes your body incapable of fighting off the rest. 

• Non-organic means that there are pesticides (they can seep into the food so just washing is not enough to eliminate this issue), food may be genetically modified (yikes!), food may be irradiated (zaps the life right out of it) and the soil that the food is grown in is very inferior (which results in food with a much lower level of nutrients).

Also, all of the chemicals and pesticides are not good for our beautiful world. The less we support this way the better off the earth will be.

I know that all of the information out there on the lovely internet can be very misleading and contradicting. You just have to look at the source of the information and go with your gut.

I buy organic whenever possible. Often it is more expensive but I have been buying it for awhile now and I do see some of the prices coming down. I believe that the more we buy the more the prices will come down.

To specifically address your questions:

"Does anybody have evidence to prove that it is better for you?" ~What is evidence? Is there really PROOF of anything? Just go with your gut.

"Do the chemicals sprayed on food affect the enzymes or the structure of the food?" ~I am not really sure that the chemicals sprayed on affect the enzymes or structure of the food, however they do poison it. Also, conventional produce is grown in inadequate soil and therefore does not develop how it is truly supposed to.

"Does non-organic food put stress on the body?" Absolutely. The more crap (chemicals, inferior food, etc.) you put into your body, the more crap your body has to work to clean out. More strain on your cleaning organs and your body as a whole.

All of this information is my truth. We all have to decide what our own truth is. This is what I believe and therefore it is true in my life. If you choose to believe something else then you may have a different experience.

Hope this helps! :)

I don't eat all organic, either, but I buy organic for those containing a lot of pestisides and also try to buy affordable organic veggies and fruits such as bananas because organic food contains more nutrients and higher vibration. I rely on the following lists:

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

I'm all for organic, especially with vegetables that absorb a high amount of pesticides, like peppers. 

Pesticides have a place. I just don't think it should be in my body. 

• hashbaskethashbasket Raw Newbie
    edited February 2023

I started improving my diet almost three years ago. If you remember, when all the quarantine craziness began, I realized I have plenty of time to try a new lifestyle. Since then, more than 80% of my food is organic, and I do sport at least three times a week. Moreover, I have some top products and supplements that have changed my lifestyle. One of them is this organic beetroot powder. I get it since it has the best color and no smell which is perfect to use in smoothies or cakes. It has a high nutritional value, so it's definitely a win.

ClaireT
  • harrisonf64 Deletedharrisonf64 Deleted Raw Newbie
    edited March 2023

Organic food is grown and processed without the use of synthetic pesticides, fertilizers, genetically modified organisms (GMOs), or irradiation. Many people choose organic food because they believe it is better for their health, as it contains fewer chemicals and potentially harmful additives. Additionally, some people believe that organic farming practices are better for the environment, as they may help to reduce pollution and preserve natural resources.

However, it's worth noting that there is some debate among experts about the actual health and environmental benefits of organic food, as well as the potential drawbacks, such as higher costs and reduced crop yields. Ultimately, whether or not organic food is important to you depends on your personal beliefs and priorities

• I absolutely eat organic where possible. Most of my diet consists of organic foods. However, there are certain things that I can’t buy organic or would be priced out to consume in quantity. E.g. ripe mangoes or figs, etc. Though I realise figs are soft skinned and perhaps then more susceptible to chemicals, it’s a choice between don’t eat certain foods which I like and have nutritional benefits and instead be relatively limited in the selection of foods that I can eat or eat them in good faith, praying over my food. That to some might be seen to be naive, however, if we tried to avoid all pollutants we wouldn’t go outside and even wouldn’t be able to stay inside either

ClaireT
  • Awesome post! Thanks for this great share. I was going through your posts and came across the exciting news you shared. Your content is always on point, and I can't wait to see what else you have in store. Keep up the fantastic work! You May Read About Villas at the rim Pickleball Courts

• Originz DeletedOriginz Deleted Raw Newbie
    edited December 2023

Organic food holds significant importance to me as it aligns with my commitment to a healthier lifestyle and sustainable consumption. Choosing organic products means opting for produce grown without synthetic pesticides, chemicals, or genetically modified organisms. It not only contributes to personal well-being by reducing exposure to potentially harmful substances but also supports environmentally friendly farming practices.

In this context, I highly value sources that prioritize the integrity of organic food. The commitment is to providing high-quality, ethically sourced items reflects my own dedication to making mindful choices.