Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Anyone going through menopause and raw?

2»

Comments

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

You women are so sweet and so awesome! I feel tons better about myself. I didnt’ want to get the hysterectomy, but my ex-husband left me with a parting “gift” that infected me so badly I was in agony. I miscarried twice without knowing what was wrong. Now I’m sterile and dead inside. I didn’t know people like you and had very limited medical help available, so the only option I could afford was to be butchered like a pig.

I’m really impressed with all of you here, with the way you teach and nurture each other all the time. OOOXXX

• PonyGirlPonyGirl Raw Newbie

Hey, I am 60 and I do not feel old and nasty at all. I feel quite splendid! I am frisky and healthy and having a great time. I had a relatively early menopause without any interference from the medical industry. I wasn’t even 90% raw then either, but was vegetarian and into fresh organic foods. I had (and still have) a flourishing garden and ate my weeds. Dandelion was my staunch ally. Leaves, roots, and buds.
    Hot flashes came and went, but I called them POWER SURGES. I had some flooding, but found cinnamon relieved it. For a few years I had a moon once a year when I visited my daughter (who lives far away). Any wacky thing is normal in a natural menopause. Doctors want to control.
    Exercise is, in my opinion, imperative. Use it or lose it. I garden, do yoga-pilates, hike, and ride, often bareback.

CindyS
  • MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! I have completely lost my mind. You know the old joke ’ People make plans and God just laughs. ?’ Well good grief. After blathering about my lack of menses for 11 months and my relative calmness about it all…...BAM! I got it 48 hours ago. I mean WTF?? Complete with mood swings, anxiety, all the good times.
    So aside from venting ( thank you one and all) my question is this:
    I’ve been sugar free on the candida diet for 11 days now. I’ve been ‘regular” ahem for the last four days/period arrived 2 days ago. Couls this all be a result of Candida cleansing from my system? Obvs, the regularity should be but menses too?? Anyone elses experience would be hugely appreciated
    ( oh almost forgot: prior to this week I had the WORST vag. yeast infection ever!!! It lasted over two weeks and its only the 3 rd ever on my life. The symptoms finally dissapated last Tuesday. So was it probabaly a hormonal thing related to candida cleansing too? Arg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    P.S.- Bluedolfin I mean poop when I mention the regla thang. :0)

• MopokeMopoke Raw Newbie

Hi Marichiesa.. I hope you are feeling better. I think it probably is detoxing especially if you have such a lot of other emotional stuff coming up and out as well.. It’s awful when these times come up but I think lots of times you feel much better on the other side.

Hi Mopoke,

Gosh I hope its detox. I feel so abnormally hormonal. I haven’t felt like this in a year.Everything is good in my life right now so I feel kind of nuts.Not to mention the glorious 4/5 lbs of bloat is back on my frame that wasn’t before. So bummed.I want the other side!!;o)

• MopokeMopoke Raw Newbie

Marichiesa – I believe you should treat these times as ‘detox’ regardless. There’s a school of yoga that believes that every single illness or bad thing that ever happens to you is one more opportunity for karmic cleansing.
    I am feeling a bit thick and gluggy right now too, and my tongue is not looking so clean when I scrape in the mornings, so either something else is coming up for me too or the summer fruits on this hemisphere are being rejected by my system Last night I took some coconut oil soaked psyllium stirred through with raw cocoa and maple and some raisins(sultanas),,,,it tasted so good that I looked it up to see if there were any recipes and on the curezone site there was postings to similar recipes down to a post by someone called unyquity: Here goes =

“Add psyllium to the coconut oil and let it get all good and slimey before mixing it in with the rest of recipe…and you’ll have “anti candida fudge” :o) :o) :o)

“The coconut oil is a MAJOR ‘anti candida’ and saturating the psyllium with it causes the coconut oil to be driven into the layers of putrefying junk in the colon (a MAJOR breeding grounds for candida)...so it gets the cococnut oil right into the breeding grounds and hits ‘em where it hurts ‘em most.

“I’ve assisted several people with candida issues, and this was always a part of the protocol (using stevia instead of honey)...but now I’m reading that raw honey doesn’t feed candida like other natural sugars, so maybe raw honey is okay.

I always suggested folks mix a tablespoon of psyllium, a tablespoon or two of coconut oil, a tablespoon of organic cocoa, and stevia to taste…mix it up and eat it off a spoon like sticky-gooey fudge :)

Mopoke,

Thanks so much for your ideas! I agree with you. Treating this time like detox regardless of the catalyst is valuable. I just need to stay with it until ‘it’ is no longer here. I love the psyllium/coconut oil tip. I think I may sub chia seeds for the psyllium as I can’t tolerate psyllium well. And I’ve been using stevia exclusively for the past two weeks but just today discovered YACON SYRUP. YEA!!!! How have I missed this??? It has a caramel/molasses taste ( but subtler I think) is a great pre-biotic and safe for Candida diets. I mixed all your above ingredients together for a little chocolate bar tonight and was in heaven. Now with the addition of chia seeds I’ll be even better off!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Marichiesa~ I just saw this article about the FDA starting a campaign warning bioavailable hormone companies: FDA cracks down on custom-made hormones. There are some companies that are named that have been contacted… I am posting this incase you had looked at any of these companies. Most of the article is from the POV that this warning is warrented. One line that the article includes that I personally agree with is the FDA is “substituting its judgment for that of doctors.” I would add to that, doctors that have their own agenda or who have not sufficiently explored the area to have an informed POV.

Thanks Bluedolfin,

Thats good info.! Can’t say I’m surprised. ;o( I actually just saw my gyn today and she said I’m definately going through an early-ish menopause but she said as long as I am feeling good ( I am for the most part ) not to bother with hormones of any sort. YEA! What a refreshing visit. I left pleasantly surprised that she wasn’t trying to push pharmaceuticals of any variety down my throat.
    As far as the FDA is concerned I feel that half the time they are in bed with Merck etc… And if the Big Med Co.’s can’t patent a product they sure don’t want any of us to give it a whorl. Can you imagine the FDA endorsing raw food? HA!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Marishiesa~ My privilege. I totally agree with you. The FDA gets a vote of no confidence from me.
    Glad you had a

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I think the FDA is one of the most corrupt government agencies and that is really saying alot in this country.

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

Dain – Wow, I’ve always suspected that big corporations were in bed with the FDA, but this is pretty damning evidence. Do you know of a source of where I could read more about this?

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

The FDA is in the habit of openly endorsing and promoting drugs and additives. They will sell anything they are paid to sell. They are thoroughly corrupt. Anyone remember dioxin in common personal hygiene products in this country not too long ago? And how the FDA went out of it’s way to sell it’s use when people started to question it’s dangers in their products? They are foul.

• Hi Alix & Everyone,

You may find this article interesting. When my non-raw sister read the article & didn’t believe me she set out to prove me wrong. She went raw for 1 month & she came to me one day & admitted that the article was correct & that she had missed her period after going raw for a month. She had never missed a period before previously. She has always been pretty healthy so maybe that’s why it did not take her very long. She is also in her early 30’s. How long it takes I think depends on how toxic your system is. Here’s the link to the article “Menstruation – Is it Really Necessary?”
    by Kytka Hilmar-Jezek, Ph.D.

http://www.giveittomeraw.com/profiles/blog/show…

Wow Dain5000,

That makes me sick. What is the matter with us? You know I got into law school 20 years ago but backed out at the last moment to go be a ski bum for a year and I don’t regret my decision on the whole. But recently I’ve had a hankering to go work for some legal agency that is involved in fighting and exposing problems in our government like you have described with the FDA.

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

Go for it, Marichiesa!! We need more people like you exposing our government and raising public awareness. Yay!!

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

How is everybody feeling? Have you found something, that is natural, recently that has helped you with menopausal symptoms???

• internettouristinternettourist Raw Newbie

Two years ago I started getting bad hot flashes in the middle of the night. I figured I was going through the change. Then I quit taking Stevia. The hotflashes disappeared. They had appeared when I started taking Stevia. Be very, very careful about what you eat.

I am 44. The periods are varying from 40 days to 23 days between. Before they were always 28 days. I like to write things down and study my aging self now. I have no hot flashes. And the raw diet has been excellent for getting rid of most of the PMS symptoms, dry appearing skin issues and as well as cellulite.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Wow, that is interesting about Stevia! Also experiencing horribly dry looking skin on my hands and feet, as well as my face just looking more "tired" or "older." Bought some green clay from Matt Monarch to do the facial he raved about in one of his videos recently. Also starting to drink more greens. But yikes on the stevia, thanks for mentioning it, just bought some from Hippocrates Institute, which that is the sweetener they use.

• I suddenly developed hotflashes out of the blue last year. I am ageless but to give you a clue, I was born in the 60's. I thought it was related to toxic office syndrome. I had just started a new job. However, there were some other weird things happening before as well. I just became generally much less tolerant to environmental toxins.

Anyway, I took 1/2 TBLS of maca day and night. After 3-4 days, the hot flashes disappeared. This is after trying health food herbal alternatives. Those did not work for me at all. My flashes were horrible. I almost checked myself into the hospital. They were coming every hour for 3-4 minutes. Actual heat coming out of my hands, scalp, groin, etc. I wasn't sleeping at night and my eyes were constantly red from being tired.

Thereafter, I didn't have any flashes for a while. Then they came back but only following my cycle (which was wildly erratic). But they were very mild. However, just last month, the really bad flashes came back. Not only flashes, but horrible vertigo, even with my eyes closed in bed. I almost cried. I tried the maca again and it worked a little, not nearly as well as it worked before.

The thing I find with the maca is that, 1 - if you take too much, a horrible smell, like cat pee, comes out every now and again. I knew I was taking too much when, instead of the flashes, I would get these cat pee surges. Once I stopped taking it, they subsided immediately.

The other thing is that maca's effectiveness decreased as time went on. I actually read that you're supposed to take it 3 our of 4 weeks per month or stop taking it every 4th month. Before this month, I hadn't taken maca since the summer but it still didn't work as well as before. But this is all my experience. Your's might be different.

I have a theory about menopause. I met a PhD candidate who had lived in several countries studying menopause among the native residents. When she told me that women in certain countries did not get hot flashes, I was incredulous. She seemed to think it was some sort of societal binding effect. In other words, we know about them in the West, so we get them.

I have been thinking a lot about it and I think that hot flashes are the result of toxins. If women in certain countries don't traditionally get flashes, I believe it's because their diet, prior to the flashes, was pretty clean. Also maybe their environment is fairly clean.

Because I now get them after my sporadic cycle, I think that perhaps the shedding of the lining is now much more toxic than it was when I was fully fertile, if that makes any sense. Maybe as you age, your body's reproductive system starts to self-clean? I'm not a doctor so I have no idea. But there has to be a reason why entire nations of women don't get flashes and some do.

By the way, when I first starting getting the flashes, I had been raw for almost two years. (Raw meaning 4-7 days a week raw food).

• FruityFruity Raw Newbie

Hi ladies! You are all so sweet and inspiring! Thank you for sharing. I'm 35 and have had horrible periods since I was eleven. I've recently, maybe in the last two years or so, gotten my periods very light, bright and nearly pain free with lots of herbs and vitamins. I've taken lugols iodine, maca, chlorella, spirulina, vitamin c, e, b, d, a, fish oil, flax oil, magnesium, really a whole laundry list! The idea was to cleanse and nourish, but I was following a Weston Price diet still, meaning lots of raw dairy and grass fed meat. Now I'm trying raw and looking forward to further improvement. 

I like homeopathy too. I found this great homeopath, Compton Burnett, from nineteenth century England. He was very successfully treating cancer, tuberculosis and women's Heath issues. His books are in the public domain on Internet Archive and I highly recommend this one on women's health, prolapsed uterus, menopaus and fertility. He used herbs and homeopathy together. https://archive.org/details/organdiseaseswo00burngoog

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Thank you for sharing what worked for you, Fruity. I probably only have half of those on my own list. It is good to have you here smile

• TammiTrueTammiTrue Raw Master

Two years ago I started getting bad hot flashes in the middle of the night. I figured I was going through the change. Then I quit taking Stevia. The hotflashes disappeared. They had appeared when I started taking Stevia. Be very, very careful about what you eat.

I wonder what was in the stevia that caused hot flashes? I know caffeine can induce them, and a drop in estrogen. There are probably a few other triggers I'm not thinking of. Maybe it acts like a stimulant like the caffeine? 

• bobsmbobsm Raw Newbie

My daughter-at age 47-started having hot flashes and went to a chiropractor and the hot flashes disappeared.

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

Hi, Bobsm. That is awesome. Do you know what she had done at the chiropractor?